"I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight
Praise the Lord I saw the light"

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three programs established by the Air Force Security Forces Integrated Defense team enable commanders to beef up security through conceal-carry.

The programs are the Unit Marshal, Security Forces Staff Arming and Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act programs.Under the Unit Marshall Program, unit commanders can have airman to train under Security Forces personnel and open-carry an M9 pistol at their duty location.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Three programs established by the Air Force Security Forces Integrated Defense team enable commanders to beef up security through conceal-carry.

The programs are the Unit Marshal, Security Forces Staff Arming and Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act programs.Under the Unit Marshall Program, unit commanders can have airman to train under Security Forces personnel and open-carry an M9 pistol at their duty location.
being an M9 means it's a military owned pistol. that means signing it in and out of the arm's room all the time, making it extremely tedious, and discouraging people from doing it. that's not to mention the soldier isn't protected while going on and off base to his home. also not to mention, a unit commander usually has the authority someone he designates as a guard to carry a military weapon even before this stuff...he's always been able to sign weapons and even limited ammo out without asking higher. typical bureaucracy screwing up what could be a decent thing.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
being an M9 means it's a military owned pistol. that means signing it in and out of the arm's room all the time, making it extremely tedious, and discouraging people from doing it. that's not to mention the soldier isn't protected while going on and off base to his home. also not to mention, a unit commander usually has the authority someone he designates as a guard to carry a military weapon even before this stuff...he's always been able to sign weapons and even limited ammo out without asking higher. typical bureaucracy screwing up what could be a decent thing.
It's only ONE of the options that are being allowed to be decided at the lower CC levels. Nonetheless, even if it was the only option, it's a damn good starting point.

·
Registered
577 Posts
What about civil service employees on military installations?

All these people, politicians, etc. wanting to allow carry on military installations only talk about the military personnel and not the civilians. I work at Robins AFB in which the civilian workforce greatly out numbers the military. I want to be able to carry just like the military (if they ever allow it).

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Base Commander of Dyess AFB Tx has decided to allow personal weapons to be kept in vehicles on base for those with a license; a lot of people did it anyway at the risk of being nailed on random vehicle searches while entering or exiting the base. It at least allows personnel to have protection on the way to and from base.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Robins AFB

DKW,

I'm active duty here. This "rule" is the first I've heard of it after 18+ yrs in service. Ask the gate guards about it and get deer in the headlight look. I also took it a step further to ask my superiors how I'd go about getting approved....again, deer in headlight look resulted. I fear nothing will ever change with this outdated federal law until more active shooter incidents occur. And to someone else's comment about concealing anyway, I feel you. I cannot confirm nor deny I do this:wink:. One would think with the shooting/death that happened @ the Booth Rd gas station (right outside the base about a mile) a year or so ago, not to mention the outright hit that has been put on uniformed members from those once referred to by our gov't leadership as "the JV team," you would think there would be some damned consideration to allow those with proper license to carry for goodness sakes regardless of uniformed or not! In the eyes of those who want to do bad things, it doesn't matter whether in uniform or not while sitting in line like defenseless animals waiting at the slaughterhouse at our gates in the AM hours.:rant:

Okay, I should stop now before the blacked out Suburban's filled with men in black suits start loading up to head to my home.:handcuffs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update (for us at least DKW),

I just got word from a 100% reliable source that wing leadership is actively working how to implement and to what level (security forces personnel, active duty, civil service, anyone with a Ga CWL, etc). I'll keep informing as I hear more.\\:D/

·
Registered
577 Posts
DKW,

I just got word from a 100% reliable source that wing leadership is actively working how to implement and to what level (security forces personnel, active duty, civil service, anyone with a Ga CWL, etc). I'll keep informing as I hear more.\\:D/
Great to hear that. I hope it comes quickly and allows anyone with a GWL to carry.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,140 Posts
DKW,

Okay, I should stop now before the blacked out Suburban's filled with men in black suits start loading up to head to my home.:handcuffs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were on the watch list the day you logged in here. They do not have a Suburban for you, its a couple helicopters for ground troop transport and a couple gunships.

Nmeo

·
Cross-drawer
7,322 Posts
How so Savannah Dan? I'd certainly like to know more details. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to disclose on a public forum. I can only speculate that it may have to do with what position/job she holds.

Roger
She is stationed at a tiny base at the Savannah airport called Travis Field. The base commander sent out a base wide notice about it at the end of last year. She is the NCOIC of the Comm Flight. I'll see if she still has a copy of the notification.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
She is stationed at a tiny base at the Savannah airport called Travis Field. The base commander sent out a base wide notice about it at the end of last year. She is the NCOIC of the Comm Flight. I'll see if she still has a copy of the notification.
I have also heard that Dover (Delaware) is in the process of allowing conceal carry. I haven't been able to confirm...yet.

Edit: not quite open carry, but a step in the right diection...

http://m.doverpost.com/article/20160203/NEWS/160209947

·
Registered
56 Posts
After the latest shooting at Lackland, I'd like to hope that commanders would start exploring the options they have to protect their subordinates. Some may, most probably won't, unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
After the latest shooting at Lackland, I'd like to hope that commanders would start exploring the options they have to protect their subordinates. Some may, most probably won't, unfortunately.
Perhaps the stance will change, but I did hear that the most recent base CC call, someone asked the question and the CC said that as long as he was the CC of JBSA, it would not be allowed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Perhaps the stance will change, but I did hear that the most recent base CC call, someone asked the question and the CC said that as long as he was the CC of JBSA, it would not be allowed.
That's the Big Blue response I expect, especially anywhere within Lackland's orbit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts