Ain't equal rights a good thing?????

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by tj2000, Jun 18, 2007.

1. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Manhattan Artist Accepts $29G Settlement From City After Topless Stroll
    Sunday, June 17, 2007

NEW YORK — A Manhattan artist arrested by police when she went on a topless stroll two years ago has accepted a $29,000 settlement from the city, her lawyer says.

Jill Coccaro, 27, was charged briefly with indecent exposure despite a 1992 state appeals court ruling that concluded women had the right to be topless if men were allowed to take off their shirts.

Coccaro, who now goes by the name Phoenix Feeley, bared her breasts on Aug. 4, 2005.

Feeley remained in custody for 12 hours before she was told prosecutors were not going to pursue charges.

Her attorney, Jeffrey Rothman, told the Daily News for its Sunday editions that his client won the civil rights settlement from the city, which did not admit or deny wrongdoing.

"We hope the police learn a lesson and respect the rights of women to go topless," Rothman said.

Feeley told the New York Post for its Sunday editions that she was not treated well after her arrest. She claimed in an October lawsuit that a police officer yanked her out of a patrol car by her hair and police took her to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

She told the newspaper she had gone bare-breasted after running the 2004 city marathon without police bothering her.

"I've always just felt that was something natural," Feeley said of going topless. "I've kind of always done it out of practicality."

The city settled on June 4.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

2. Foul

Foul New Member

I wouldn't know. In the 42 years I've been around, I've never seen an instance of equal rights OR equal protection under the law.

3. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Oh I absolutely agree. I think it is horribly unfair that men get to walk around town, in parks, at the pools & beaches with their tops off & thier beer guts hanging out. I think the world would be amuch better place if more women would start going topless at these same places.

Power to the women!!

but first we probably need some legislation to prevent all the men from being sued for ogling the topless gals

:lol:

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Just as there are plenty of guys that shouldn't go topless there are gals that fall into the same catagory! Carefull what you wish for or you may be blinded for life by the likes of Rosie taking you up on your offer! :puke:

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

This thread is worthless without pics.

6. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Rosie????

USMC,
    Rosie is not a woman. :rotfl:

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Re: Rosie????

Well whatever it is I DON'T want to see it topless!

8. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

Live in a city that doesn't allow firearms just to see a woman without a top every now and then? I'll take guns over topless women any day of the week. I'm married so I don't even get to look at the menu anymore, the cook said so. :lol:

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

+1, you beat me to it.

I looked for the smileys holding signs that say that but I can't find 'em.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I support her right to flaunt her bewbies.

11. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

You should probably post a brief excerpt of the article and a link, rather than just c&p the whole thing. This goes for all copyrighted web content that we reference. Eventually we're going to get in trouble for it.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Has anyone - ever - in the history of the intertubes gotten in trouble for this?

13. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Yes.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

What about c&p the whole thing and a link?

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

TUBES!

16. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Technically, to c&p the whole thing violates copyright law, with or without a link. In the Fair Use articles of the Copyright Act, there is text that reads something to the effect: a summary description or excerpt of a copyrighted work can be reproduced without permission of the owner/author for use as a news reporting tool so long as credit for the original work is noted. In this case, the link would serve as that credit.

Which is why I suggest utilizing an excerpt and a link rather than c&p'ing the text in its entirety without a credit.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Ah, gotcha. That works for me too because if I read the summary and am still interested, I can read the rest of the article. And vice versa.