Age to own vs purchase...

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Myright, May 26, 2017.

1. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

Did I read that correct?

You can legally own a handgun at the age of 18, but cannot purchase one unless you are 21.

I understand there are some exceptions to the law, like being in the military.

2. 00Dan

00Dan Member

You can possess any firearm other than a handgun at any age. At 18 you can possess any sort of firearm.
    At 18 you can purchase whatever you want privately. A licensed dealer is prohibited under federal law from transferring anything other than a long gun to an individual under 21.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

As 00Dan said, you can legally purchase a long gun from an FFL 18. You may purchase a handgun from a private seller at 18, but must be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL

Same states may require a person to be 21 to buy from an individual, but GA does not.

4. 00Dan

00Dan Member

Yep, I should have stated that my post is based on GA and Federal law. Some states may be more restrictive.

5. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Throw in the age limit to purchase "handgun" ammo, and it's a big mess.

6. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Also, a person must be 21 to purchase a pistol grip shotgun from an FFL. That means, for a shotgun that only has a pistol grip and no shoulder stock.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Technically, such a gun isn't classified as a "shotgun" under federal law, even if it shoots 12 ga. shotgun shells.
    It was not designed to use a shoulder stock.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

For handguns and those under 18, see

As you can see, there are lots and lots of exceptions where children can carry handguns in certain places and situations.

Long guns are basically unrestricted for children except for the same restrictions that apply to adults.

Last edited: May 27, 2017