After Istanbul Do You Go Straight For The Headshot?

Discussion in 'Training' started by rjinga, Jun 30, 2016.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

Assume the following facts in the following scenario: you are caught in an active shooter situation; the shooter is wearing body armor covering his chest and back; the shooter is a terrorist (not mentally ill or crazy ex-boyfriend); he may also be a suicide bomber, but you don’t know for sure; you are armed with a handgun; the shooter has not seen you yet; you decide to engage the shooter.

Would you shoot at the head first, or a different part of the body, and why?

If the shooter was down and unable to fire his weapon, but was still making furtive movements, would you try a headshot then? Why or why not?

2. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

Head or femoral artery.

Aka shoot towards one of the brains.

3. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

My"plan" would always be to aim for center mass. I'm looking for the highest probability of a hit. If the person is down and trying to draw another weapon (assuming he dropped his like the terrorist I saw in the video) or detonate a bomb then I would keep firing. I honestly don't know that I have the skills to make a clean head shot on a moving target in a stressful situation. I feel confident that I could hit center mass a few times though. That's my honest answer. Basically, shoot until the threat is eliminated.

4. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

my understanding is that shooting someone in the pelvis is quite painful. bonus points if you hit the genitals, just saying....

5. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

You are still frucked if they are using a dead man's switch for their bombs. Soon as their fingers let go of the switch... boom.

6. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

I wouldn't imagine that they would have a dead man switch if they are running and gunning since the gunning aspect would require the fingers also.

7. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

It depends. The only time I can imagine myself taking a headshot would be inside 10 yards. I prob wouldn't be very accurate even at 10.
    I would prob aim center mass (middle of the chest)

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would try to talk to him and exercise peace, love, acceptance, tolerance, and understanding.

9. XDM40

XDM40 Active Member

:lol: Good luck with that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  10. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

So you want to be The Attorney General then...

11. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

:rotfl2:

After he got a few 10mm's to the chest maybe.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You can give peace a chance. We'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

:lol:

13. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I'm wondering if I shouldn't get the Glock 40 MOS (6" 10mm) and carry it with 140gr +p solid copper rounds. That should either defeat Level IIIA armor or levy enough hurt to put a bad guy down - especially with a few rounds or more center mass.

14. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

If there's evident body armor, shoot for the head or the pelvic girdle. Preference to an incapacitating headshot, where their CNS is shut down.

Situations like Turkey do illustrate some demand to work on pistol proficiency at a moderate distance (25-50 yards). God help you if the chucklehead's got a suicide vest on and gets close before you can drop him.

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=qBCDY5XhZng

Delete the space between the ? and the v to view. Quite applicable CG.

Nemo

16. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Okay, let's say you're a cop with a .40 S&W, you shoot a guy center mass, but he's wearing body armor. So it's not a fatal shot. But is he good to go to carry on his rampage?

Or would he be disabled enough to stop him at that point?

17. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I would think a center mass shot on a suicide vest might just win you an unexpected prize.

Under clothing, I'm not too sure if it's possible to tell the difference between a suicide vest and body armor.

18. Malum Prohibitum

It depends on his mindset. I have never been shot in the vest. I have, however, seen others shot in the vest. Where it hits you makes a lot of difference, but none of it would be disabling if the person is determined, and if he is really focused he may barely notice a center of mass handgun round. The ubiquitous movie scene where the guy flies back and is unconscious and everybody thinks he is dead is just Hollywood ignorance masquerading as the truth.

The worst I have seen where there was no puncturing was a softball sized bruise, but that was a strike to the edge of the vest, not solidly on it, and at a weird angle. The officer was very lucky it did not puncture. He could have continued doing what he was doing if he wanted to do so.

I have never seen or even heard of anybody being disabled from a handgun round to vest.

There is a Second Chance video out there somewhere with survivors who wore their vests. Most of them describe it as feeling like somebody poked them with a pool cue. They did not act like it was any big deal.

19. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

There was a video of it being described like taking a baseball bat to the chest. I do have personal experience with that. Hell, I've been kicked in the ribs by a world champion in Muay Thai in a fight. Yes, it would depend on determination, but it is not quite the same as taking a poke from a pool cue.

20. Malum Prohibitum

From Survival Armor's site.