Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it the same as a criminal suspect being fingerprinted? Can your prints now come up in some database if found at a crime scene? No I did not commit a crime :lol:
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
I imagine this is the point of the fingerprints.
I thought they were used to check the database.

Of course, once they're used for that, they'll go in the database, too.

Mine were already in there. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
gsusnake said:
ptsmith24 said:
I imagine this is the point of the fingerprints.
I thought they were used to check the database.

Of course, once they're used for that, they'll go in the database, too.

Mine were already in there. :shock:
(1) For both license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall direct the law enforcement agency to request a fingerprint based criminal history records check...
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129

So yea, that is correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
I was in the system originally because I was a substitute teacher in Alabama. I have purchased firearms in the past and was told by the dealer that "You must have been fingerprinted before because they have to call back." (ie not instant). I don't know how he knew this but it sounded good at the time. They called back within 20 mins and I was approved.

Of course now I have fingerprints from FL and GA in the system too because of these carry permission slips in my wallet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
RedBeard said:
I was in the system originally because I was a substitute teacher in Alabama. I have purchased firearms in the past and was told by the dealer that "You must have been fingerprinted before because they have to call back." (ie not instant). I don't know how he knew this but it sounded good at the time. They called back within 20 mins and I was approved.

Of course now I have fingerprints from FL and GA in the system too because of these carry permission slips in my wallet.
Why did they have to call back? I've had a NICS check run on me after I already had my GFL (and obviously fingerprinted) and there was no delay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
RedBeard said:
I was in the system originally because I was a substitute teacher in Alabama. I have purchased firearms in the past and was told by the dealer that "You must have been fingerprinted before because they have to call back." (ie not instant). I don't know how he knew this but it sounded good at the time. They called back within 20 mins and I was approved.

Of course now I have fingerprints from FL and GA in the system too because of these carry permission slips in my wallet.
Why did they have to call back? I've had a NICS check run on me after I already had my GFL (and obviously fingerprinted) and there was no delay.
Don't know. This was long before I possessed a GFL and the purchase was made in Alabama. Purchased a couple of handguns. The retailer called in to NICS and was told something. After which he turned to me and said that I must already have fingerprints in the system. He told me to hang around for a little bit that even though they usually say it can take up to three days to get back with him they usually call back in within a half hour.

And that is exactly what happened.

Of course more recently I purchased a long gun in Florida and the check went through instantly.

Just thought it odd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
I've been participating in the Citizens Police Academy with the Gwinnett County PD as of last week. One of our sessions was at the crime lab, and this topic came up. A gentleman in the class asked if his fingerprints that were taken when applying for his GFL were subject to the search based on what information was gathered at a crime scene. We were told that the only files they are allowed to search against when looking for a match are for those who have been arrested and entered into the system that way. Those with no record are not part of any search.

If anyone has any other information that contradicts this, I'd love to hear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
I've been participating in the Citizens Police Academy with the Gwinnett County PD as of last week. One of our sessions was at the crime lab, and this topic came up. A gentleman in the class asked if his fingerprints that were taken when applying for his GFL were subject to the search based on what information was gathered at a crime scene. We were told that the only files they are allowed to search against when looking for a match are for those who have been arrested and entered into the system that way. Those with no record are not part of any search.

If anyone has any other information that contradicts this, I'd love to hear.
So, if I'm reading that correctly, the only point in getting fingerprinted for the GFL is for the background check? So, technically, if your prints were found at a scene, they couldn't be used to tie you to the scene even if they were on a gun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
wsweeks2 said:
I've been participating in the Citizens Police Academy with the Gwinnett County PD as of last week. One of our sessions was at the crime lab, and this topic came up. A gentleman in the class asked if his fingerprints that were taken when applying for his GFL were subject to the search based on what information was gathered at a crime scene. We were told that the only files they are allowed to search against when looking for a match are for those who have been arrested and entered into the system that way. Those with no record are not part of any search.

If anyone has any other information that contradicts this, I'd love to hear.
So, if I'm reading that correctly, the only point in getting fingerprinted for the GFL is for the background check? So, technically, if your prints were found at a scene, they couldn't be used to tie you to the scene even if they were on a gun?
That is what we were told. The fingerprinting is used to rule us out as people who are not allowed to be issued the GFL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
ptsmith24 said:
wsweeks2 said:
I've been participating in the Citizens Police Academy with the Gwinnett County PD as of last week. One of our sessions was at the crime lab, and this topic came up. A gentleman in the class asked if his fingerprints that were taken when applying for his GFL were subject to the search based on what information was gathered at a crime scene. We were told that the only files they are allowed to search against when looking for a match are for those who have been arrested and entered into the system that way. Those with no record are not part of any search.

If anyone has any other information that contradicts this, I'd love to hear.
So, if I'm reading that correctly, the only point in getting fingerprinted for the GFL is for the background check? So, technically, if your prints were found at a scene, they couldn't be used to tie you to the scene even if they were on a gun?
That is what we were told. The fingerprinting is used to rule us out as people who are not allowed to be issued the GFL.
Yea. That makes sense. GFL holders are so unlikely to commit a crime in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
fingerprints

your fingerprints are taken to go to the FBI, and the state, to see if you have a record. and i'm sure, that they keep the prints to go into their database, since there is nothing to keep them from doing this. Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
merlock said:
M249 said:
No worries here... "they" have my fingerprints many times over for other things. :p
+1

Let's see (for me)-Enlistment, Fed. Civil Service. Yeah, I'm in the system, I'm sure.
Not just fingerprints for those of us who have served in the last ten years or so. Now they have a sample of our DNA as well. They told me it was to help in identification of remains if I were blown to bits :shock: but I know the real reason they wanted it.

The Gov is going to clone me and create a force of Super Marines to dominate the world with.... :foilhat:

Film at 11....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
That would explain why they wanted my DNA. You provide the Marine Part and I provide the "Super" Part.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top