Advocating Marriage a Hate Crime?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Malum Prohibitum

3. M249

M249 New Member

While a person's sexuality or religion is a non-issue to me, I have serious problems with calling this a hate crime.

On what planet does it become a hate crime for someone to put up a sign that advocates the position that marriage is part of the natural family? Should a private company be able fire the woman for doing this if it violates policy? Yep. Should the government? Absolutely not.

I tell you what, that pesky First Amendment has just got to go. People shouldn't be able to go around stating their beliefs all willy-nilly like--someone may get offended, and we can't have that.

4. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Apparently Planet PRoK.

:shakehead:

5. Malum Prohibitum

Even if this is a bulletin board at work (government job)?

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The 9th Circus rides again.

The Constitution only mandates specifically a Supreme Court. The rest of the federal courts exists at the whim of Congress. Congress needs to abolish teh 9th Circuit, get rid of all of the judges, and then establish a new circuit out there.

7. M249

M249 New Member

Yes. It's my opinion that the government, even as an employer*, cannot restrict free speech. Of course, after McCain-Feingold, I have serious concerns as to the SCOTUS's ability to read an comprehend the Constitution.

*.mil is excluded. This has been supported by the Supreme Court, but I can't find the supporting cases. I think the spooks sign agreements accepting restrictions on 1A rights, too, but I've never been a spook, so it's speculation on my part.

ETA: I believe .mil exclusion is in PARKER v. LEVY, 417 U.S. 733 (1974), but I'm just scanning it, and don't have time to read the whole thing.

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

On the lighter side of this

You know when I read this the first time I thought it was something saying the equivalent of

:lol:

9. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

Utterly retarded. I was kind of skeptical of a "gay agenda" but this doesn't exactly add doubt.

10. Malum Prohibitum

But, Mobster, they are just asking for the "same rights" as everybody else. :roll:

Mostly they want to silence their critics through intimidation.

Anybody see the free speech zone law passed in Atlanta for the "Pride" event? Peaceful protesters to be huddled into "free speech zones" away from the public property where the event was taking place?

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0706/

http://sovo.com/2007/6-15/news/localnew ... S00138.htm

https://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/5670
    http://emergingminds.org/community/saad ... og/51.html

I wish we could get such diverse support for enforcing the Second Amendment.

13. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

That's what bothers me. They have the same rights as everyone else. They can get married the same way as everyone else can in America. If a gay man wants to marry a woman he sure as hell can, and if a lesbian wants to marry a man she can too.

That free speech zone thing is crap too. Good thing it got shot down.

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

When I protested W when he came to GSU, all the protesters were placed over half a mile away from anywhere near where the motorcade could pass. We were told "it's for your protection" yeah freakin' right.

15. Malum Prohibitum

That's ridiculous.

16. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Re: On the lighter side of this

I agree. I think marriage IS a hate crime. That's why I support same-sex marriage. They deserve to be just as miserable as the rest of us.

17. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

A college student protesting W? Who would have thought?

:wink:

Just giving you a hard time GSUSnake - you support the 2nd so you're good in my book.

And when I saw this thread yesterday I was trying to see how long it would take for Ramm to start passing out the foil hats. We'll need them to stop the thought police.

18. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Yes it is! And if you ever met my Ex you would understand why!

19. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I was protesting the war. I have no problem with W, but some of the people in his administration need to go in the worst way.