1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Romans 10:13
4,632 Posts
#-o

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
While a person's sexuality or religion is a non-issue to me, I have serious problems with calling this a hate crime.

On what planet does it become a hate crime for someone to put up a sign that advocates the position that marriage is part of the natural family? Should a private company be able fire the woman for doing this if it violates policy? Yep. Should the government? Absolutely not.

I tell you what, that pesky First Amendment has just got to go. People shouldn't be able to go around stating their beliefs all willy-nilly like--someone may get offended, and we can't have that.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
M249 said:
On what planet does it become a hate crime for someone to put up a sign that advocates the position that marriage is part of the natural family?
Apparently Planet PRoK.

:shakehead:

·
68,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M249 said:
Should a private company be able fire the woman for doing this if it violates policy? Yep. Should the government? Absolutely not.
Even if this is a bulletin board at work (government job)?

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
The 9th Circus rides again.

The Constitution only mandates specifically a Supreme Court. The rest of the federal courts exists at the whim of Congress. Congress needs to abolish teh 9th Circuit, get rid of all of the judges, and then establish a new circuit out there.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
M249 said:
Should a private company be able fire the woman for doing this if it violates policy? Yep. Should the government? Absolutely not.
Even if this is a bulletin board at work (government job)?
Yes. It's my opinion that the government, even as an employer*, cannot restrict free speech. Of course, after McCain-Feingold, I have serious concerns as to the SCOTUS's ability to read an comprehend the Constitution.

*.mil is excluded. This has been supported by the Supreme Court, but I can't find the supporting cases. I think the spooks sign agreements accepting restrictions on 1A rights, too, but I've never been a spook, so it's speculation on my part.

ETA: I believe .mil exclusion is in PARKER v. LEVY, 417 U.S. 733 (1974), but I'm just scanning it, and don't have time to read the whole thing.
while military personnel are not excluded from First Amendment protection, the fundamental necessity for obedience, and the consequent necessity for discipline, may render permissible within the military that which would be constitutionally impermissible outside it.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
On the lighter side of this

You know when I read this the first time I thought it was something saying the equivalent of
"You know, I hate you. I think you should get married. That would serve you right."
:lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
The flier was distributed after other employees' groups, including those advocating gay rights, had advertised their political views and activities on the city's e-mail system and bulletin board. When the GNEA asked for equal opportunity to communicate by that system and that board, it was denied. Furthermore, the flier they posted was taken down and destroyed by city officials, who declared it "homophobic" and disruptive.

The city government said the flier was "determined" to promote harassment based on sexual orientation. The city warned that the flier and communications like it could result in disciplinary action "up to and including termination."
Utterly retarded. I was kind of skeptical of a "gay agenda" but this doesn't exactly add doubt.

·
68,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But, Mobster, they are just asking for the "same rights" as everybody else. :roll:

Mostly they want to silence their critics through intimidation.

Anybody see the free speech zone law passed in Atlanta for the "Pride" event? Peaceful protesters to be huddled into "free speech zones" away from the public property where the event was taking place?

·
68,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0706/

http://sovo.com/2007/6-15/news/localnew ... S00138.htm

https://www.ussf2007.org/en/node/5670
â€""We might as well spit on the graves of Dr. King and Mrs. King if we allow the right of the citizens to assemble to be curtailed!"
http://emergingminds.org/community/saad ... og/51.html
This Ordinance says that in order to speak freely, Atlantans must ask the City for permission and adhere to strict guidelines that may be changed or revoked at whim.
I wish we could get such diverse support for enforcing the Second Amendment.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
But, Mobster, they are just asking for the "same rights" as everybody else. :roll:

Anybody see the free speech zone law passed in Atlanta for the "Pride" event? Peaceful protesters to be huddled into "free speech zones" away from the public property where the event was taking place?
That's what bothers me. They have the same rights as everyone else. They can get married the same way as everyone else can in America. If a gay man wants to marry a woman he sure as hell can, and if a lesbian wants to marry a man she can too.

That free speech zone thing is crap too. Good thing it got shot down.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:

When I protested W when he came to GSU, all the protesters were placed over half a mile away from anywhere near where the motorcade could pass. We were told "it's for your protection" yeah freakin' right.

·
68,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gsusnake said:
When I protested W when he came to GSU, all the protesters were placed over half a mile away from anywhere near where the motorcade could pass. We were told "it's for your protection" yeah freakin' right.
That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Re: On the lighter side of this

Tinkerhell said:
You know when I read this the first time I thought it was something saying the equivalent of
"You know, I hate you. I think you should get married. That would serve you right."
I agree. I think marriage IS a hate crime. That's why I support same-sex marriage. They deserve to be just as miserable as the rest of us.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
gsusnake said:
When I protested W when he came to GSU...
A college student protesting W? Who would have thought?

:wink:

Just giving you a hard time GSUSnake - you support the 2nd so you're good in my book.

And when I saw this thread yesterday I was trying to see how long it would take for Ramm to start passing out the foil hats. We'll need them to stop the thought police.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Advocating Marriage a Hate Crime?
Yes it is! And if you ever met my Ex you would understand why!

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
gsusnake said:
When I protested W when he came to GSU...
A college student protesting W? Who would have thought?

:wink:

Just giving you a hard time GSUSnake - you support the 2nd so you're good in my book.

And when I saw this thread yesterday I was trying to see how long it would take for Ramm to start passing out the foil hats. We'll need them to stop the thought police.
I was protesting the war. I have no problem with W, but some of the people in his administration need to go in the worst way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts