Advice: Used Auto-Ord 1911....$395...should I???

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade - Firearms' started by rajl, Mar 8, 2007.

1. rajl

rajl New Member

I found a used Auto-Ordnance 1911 for $395 (maybe able to negotiate to $350) from a private party. The man knows very little about guns or Auto-Ordnance. He can only describe it as “blued†and “exact copy of .45 govt†model.

I have several questions here:

1) What can anyone tell me about Auto-Ordnance 1911’s? Are they good guns? Bad guns? Any quirks that they usually have? Things I should watch out for when checking this gun out?

2) Does anyone how do Auto-Ord 1911’s handle hollow-points? I know that the 1911 platform has a spotty history with non-FMJ rounds, and I have a requirement that all pistols I own have to be able to shoot defensive ammo if I so choose.

3) Is this a good price for a used Auto-Ord?

4) What kind of gun-smithing would I have to do to this thing, if any?

5) Any other things I should know?

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

The only thing that I can help out with is the price. I saw a used one in a shop the other day in good shape around $350.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

More advice to you. I was curious as well so I read up on these and the reviews were not favorable.

I want a 1911 but I don't want to pay an arm in a leg for it. The two best choices for an inexpensive but quality 1911 would be either a Springfield G.I. for $450 or look at a Rock Island Armory from the Phillipeans.

I am going to get the Springfield eventually.

4. rajl

rajl New Member

I ended up not getting it. Apparently they're ok if you buy one from when after Kahr took over, but they are complete )#*$%& if you get a pre-Kahr model. The one I was looking at was a pre-Kahr model, so I just abandoned it.

5. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

1911??????????????????????

Guys,
    Might I recomend a PT1911 from Taurus? I have one and have put over 1K rounds though it and it still looks great and shoots great and I got mine for $329 at Bargin Barn in Jasper. I bought it last month and the guy said every one they get in they sell almost that day. The only part I changed was the hard plastic paddles and went to tactical rubber ones. Believe me when I say it is a good gun because I own 9 other 1911's and I enjoy taking it along with a couple others to the range.
    Take care,
    :shoot:

6. rajl

rajl New Member

I would, but I've had nothing but bad experiences with other Taurus pistols. My first revolver, an m82, was brand new and had timing problems in the cylinder. My Taurus PT-145 had to be sent back to the factory for slide work because it jammed on feeding every round of ammo I put through (ball, hp, etc). It would fire, jam on loading the next bullet from the magazine. I would then fix the problem, fire it, and see it jam again.

Too much of a PITA. I think I'd rather save my money and get a basic Kimber Custom II or Springfield Mil-Spec (maybe even a Springfield loaded, but the Mil-Spec is good enough for what I am looking for).

Also, everywhere I've seen the PT-1911 for sale, it has had a ridiculous dealer markup.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It's not a 1911, but if you are looking for a nice .45 I would suggest a Baby Eagle. I sed to have one in brushed stainless that I loved. It was very accurate, had near perfect balance, and was a pleasure to shoot. MY only complaint was that you have to use factory mags. I was told that you could use EAA Witness mags, but they didn't work right. I sold it last fall because I wanted to start carrying and it was kinda heavy for CCW use.

8. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Basic Kimber????

rajl,
    I wish I could talk you out of Kimber but I love all 5 of mine. had I known you where thinking in that direction I would have suggested you save more than a little and buy a Kimber. I don't know what you consider a basic Kimber but I will tell you that their "basic" is still around a base price of $800 (new).
    Buyer beware if you want a used Kimber because even as good as Kimber's are, they still have had their share of quality issues get to the general public and I would hate for you to buy one that someone has had trouble with and you get a bad tast for a great brand of semi-autos. I have purchased 2 used ones the custome tactical II and the ultra carry II and they perform flawlessly but I knew who owned them and how they where taken care of. Hope this helps?
    Take care,

9. rajl

rajl New Member

tj2000,

I know how expensive Kimber's can be. The Custom II is what I would call their "no-frills" model, relatively speaking. It's got more on it than a GI-Clone, but it doesn't have all their super-dooper custom work that the $1300 models of theirs have either.

I say that I'm considering the Kimber or Springfield, because I've heard great things about both of them, and have had consistently bad experiences with my Taurus pistols. I also believe you get what you pay for, to a certain extent. If I found a PT-1911 that wasn't over priced (I've seen them selling for $700 and $800 at gun stores because of the demand), I might consider it; especially with the deal you got. But I think I'm less likely to have problems with a new, out-of-box 1911 than a use one I know nothing about, or even a cheap, new one.

10. rajl

rajl New Member

On a side note, I've driven by the Bargain Barn in Jasper before, but never been inside it. How is their gun selection?

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If you are Kimber shopping, call Forsyth Pawn in Cumming. Their number is 770-844-8800. They had a nice selection of them last Sat when I bought my Ruger MKIII. They also have very good prices.