Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a used Auto-Ordnance 1911 for $395 (maybe able to negotiate to $350) from a private party. The man knows very little about guns or Auto-Ordnance. He can only describe it as “blued†and “exact copy of .45 govt†model.

I have several questions here:

1) What can anyone tell me about Auto-Ordnance 1911’s? Are they good guns? Bad guns? Any quirks that they usually have? Things I should watch out for when checking this gun out?

2) Does anyone how do Auto-Ord 1911’s handle hollow-points? I know that the 1911 platform has a spotty history with non-FMJ rounds, and I have a requirement that all pistols I own have to be able to shoot defensive ammo if I so choose.

3) Is this a good price for a used Auto-Ord?

4) What kind of gun-smithing would I have to do to this thing, if any?

5) Any other things I should know?

·
Registered
633 Posts
More advice to you. I was curious as well so I read up on these and the reviews were not favorable.

I want a 1911 but I don't want to pay an arm in a leg for it. The two best choices for an inexpensive but quality 1911 would be either a Springfield G.I. for $450 or look at a Rock Island Armory from the Phillipeans.

I am going to get the Springfield eventually.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up not getting it. Apparently they're ok if you buy one from when after Kahr took over, but they are complete )#*$%& if you get a pre-Kahr model. The one I was looking at was a pre-Kahr model, so I just abandoned it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
1911??????????????????????

Guys,
Might I recomend a PT1911 from Taurus? I have one and have put over 1K rounds though it and it still looks great and shoots great and I got mine for $329 at Bargin Barn in Jasper. I bought it last month and the guy said every one they get in they sell almost that day. The only part I changed was the hard plastic paddles and went to tactical rubber ones. Believe me when I say it is a good gun because I own 9 other 1911's and I enjoy taking it along with a couple others to the range.
Take care,
:shoot:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would, but I've had nothing but bad experiences with other Taurus pistols. My first revolver, an m82, was brand new and had timing problems in the cylinder. My Taurus PT-145 had to be sent back to the factory for slide work because it jammed on feeding every round of ammo I put through (ball, hp, etc). It would fire, jam on loading the next bullet from the magazine. I would then fix the problem, fire it, and see it jam again.

Too much of a PITA. I think I'd rather save my money and get a basic Kimber Custom II or Springfield Mil-Spec (maybe even a Springfield loaded, but the Mil-Spec is good enough for what I am looking for).

Also, everywhere I've seen the PT-1911 for sale, it has had a ridiculous dealer markup.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,864 Posts
It's not a 1911, but if you are looking for a nice .45 I would suggest a Baby Eagle. I sed to have one in brushed stainless that I loved. It was very accurate, had near perfect balance, and was a pleasure to shoot. MY only complaint was that you have to use factory mags. I was told that you could use EAA Witness mags, but they didn't work right. I sold it last fall because I wanted to start carrying and it was kinda heavy for CCW use.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Basic Kimber????

rajl,
I wish I could talk you out of Kimber but I love all 5 of mine. had I known you where thinking in that direction I would have suggested you save more than a little and buy a Kimber. I don't know what you consider a basic Kimber but I will tell you that their "basic" is still around a base price of $800 (new).
Buyer beware if you want a used Kimber because even as good as Kimber's are, they still have had their share of quality issues get to the general public and I would hate for you to buy one that someone has had trouble with and you get a bad tast for a great brand of semi-autos. I have purchased 2 used ones the custome tactical II and the ultra carry II and they perform flawlessly but I knew who owned them and how they where taken care of. Hope this helps?
Take care,

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tj2000,

I know how expensive Kimber's can be. The Custom II is what I would call their "no-frills" model, relatively speaking. It's got more on it than a GI-Clone, but it doesn't have all their super-dooper custom work that the $1300 models of theirs have either.

I say that I'm considering the Kimber or Springfield, because I've heard great things about both of them, and have had consistently bad experiences with my Taurus pistols. I also believe you get what you pay for, to a certain extent. If I found a PT-1911 that wasn't over priced (I've seen them selling for $700 and $800 at gun stores because of the demand), I might consider it; especially with the deal you got. But I think I'm less likely to have problems with a new, out-of-box 1911 than a use one I know nothing about, or even a cheap, new one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a side note, I've driven by the Bargain Barn in Jasper before, but never been inside it. How is their gun selection?

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,864 Posts
If you are Kimber shopping, call Forsyth Pawn in Cumming. Their number is 770-844-8800. They had a nice selection of them last Sat when I bought my Ruger MKIII. They also have very good prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts