Advice sought on gun purchase

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Xiclotl, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

A co-worker's husband said he would sell me his Glock 33 (.357 SIG for those reaching for Wikipedia right now). He said he would include a paddle holster & ankle holster as well as around 600 rounds of ammo. Total price $350. This isn't my ideal first gun so I don't know if I should jump on it. I recognize the value. Hell, the ammo alone is worth the deal. The seller is a police officer & avid shooter so I'm sure he takes good care of his guns.

Any thoughts?

2. AuburnRunner

AuburnRunner New Member

Buy it... take it to the range, and if you don't like it sell it and use the money to fund a gun that you do like.

3. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

.357 Sig is expensive, and the ammo has not lived up to its billing in real world shootings. If you think you're getting a deal it might be worth it, especially if it can be converted to a 9mm like a Glock 22 can.

4. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I would take that deal in a heartbeat. If you don't like the caliber, there's profit to be had.

5. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

That's true. I don't want to seem mercenary, but I could trade up if I hate the gun. I've shot it before (Aug-09). The kick surprised me. May be easier to handle with a mag w/ pinky extension.

6. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

7. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

that's a good deal. you have 600 rounds to decide if you're going to keep it, modify it, or sell/trade.

8. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I disagree. I mean, in terms of it being a pistol cartridge having similar characteristics to a .357 magnum, you're right, it's doesn't quite perform as well as the revolver round. But, it's still a solid cartridge which excels at shooting through barriers and providing good one shot stopping power without over-penetration. The bottleneck cartridge contributes to having less feeding problems. The U.S. Secret Service seems to be happy with it.

I will say this though, bottleneck cartridges are a lot of trouble if you reload, so I can see an argument being made there. However, if you're like me and only shoot factory ammunition, it's not really expensive compared to other factory loads.

9. grumpy

grumpy New Member

Including bonus goodies, any Glock that goes BANG is worth more than that. Buy it.

10. cwats04

cwats04 Member

if you dont want it ill take it

buy it and shoot it. if you dont like it there are plenty of people here that would probably buy it from you

11. jlw253

jlw253 Member

+1

Have you bought it yet? :)

12. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

No. Just deposited my vac. check Friday. Need to wait til Monday to talk. "The waiting is the hardest part ..."

13. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I'd hop on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. A quick barrel change and you've got yourself a .40.... a barrel and mag change and you've got yourself a 9mm.... What's not to like? That's an extremely reasonable price for a used glock. :righton:

14. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

I want it :(. Why can't I ever get deals like that :(:(

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Buy it! That's a good deal, even if it is a Glock. :shattered:

16. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Depends where you tend to buy your ammunition.
    For those that like to buy low cost popular 9mm, .40 or .45 at the local WallyWorld (from $11 - $17 / 50), you'd be hard pressed to find .357 Sig brass-cased new factory ammo from a major mfg selling in that price range.

17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I buy my .357 Sig for $16.99 for target reloads. Its really about the same at Wally World for Winchester White Box, I believe. I've bought both.

18. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

+1, I buy Wally World ammo and prices I've seen on .357 sig ammo has been in between prices for .40 S&W and .45 ACP, which is about right.

19. ET.

ET. Active Member

Buy the Glock 33 for $350. It would be a really good first gun. It's a really good price. It is a perfect concealed carry gun. If you are worried about ammo cost then buy a 40s&w barrel (either a Glock or after market barrel) & a 9mm aftermarket conversion barrel along with 9mm mags. You now have the ability to shoot 3 different caliber ammo: 9mm, 40s&w & 357sig. It will be 100% reliable with any of the barrels. I know because I've done this with my Glock 27. With the mag extensions it is a good range gun.

I usually take mine to the range and shoot a few 357sig rounds because I carry mine as a 357sig. Then I change the barrel to the 9mm conversion barrel and shoot a few hundred cheaper 9mm rounds through it. I've never had a single ftf with it. You would have considerably less in your gun than I have in mine since I paid $500 for my gun alone. Again...buy it.