Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local organization near me recently built one of those new PATH trails, the East Decatur Greenway. It's pretty short right now, but on one segment, it is a new sidewalk for two roads. At one location, it turns 90 degrees to follow the second road, but they didn't build a ramp and curb cut at the intersection. The intersection has a ramp and curb cut on the sidewalk across the street. Doesn't the ADA require its provisions be met when substantial changes are made, and wouldn't the addition of a new sidewalk here constitute a major change? When asked, the organization agreed that a curb cut and ramp would be nice, but GDOT requires the entire intersection be brought up to standard when any change is made or something. Aside from sending letters to politicians and the media, I'm not sure I would have standing to pursue the ADA side of this though. I'm able-bodied. But is my interpretation correct?

Thanks!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,600 Posts
Do you really want the government, or this PATH organization, to spend more of its limited budget on destroying the existing curb and pouring a new one that's cut and has a ramp for wheelchair use?

What if it turns out that the money they'd spend on that would have paid for 200 feet worth of trail, and the trail will now have to end 70 yards sooner because of the expense of wheelchair ramps at those intersections?

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
Do you really want the government, or this PATH organization, to spend more of its limited budget on destroying the existing curb and pouring a new one that's cut and has a ramp for wheelchair use?

What if it turns out that the money they'd spend on that would have paid for 200 feet worth of trail, and the trail will now have to end 70 yards sooner because of the expense of wheelchair ramps at those intersections?
so you rather ban the handicapped?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
The county came down my street and constructed ramps for all the side walks. I haven't seen a wheelchair on a sidewalk outside of downtown in 20-30 years. Not since Marta picks up and takes them where they want to go. Plus, the county empties people's trash cans and puts them right in the middle of the sidewalk. Even people on foot can't get by without walking in the street.

The way society is today with people getting charged for leaving dogs in cars, letting kids walk to the park, etc., I think if someone saw a person in a wheelchair huffing it up the street, someone would be calling the police and demanding somebody be charged with negligence.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you really want the government, or this PATH organization, to spend more of its limited budget on fighting endless lawsuits for ADA non-compliance that they will end up losing and then spend even more money on destroying the existing curb and pouring a new one that's cut and has a ramp for wheelchair use?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts