1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acworth officer, suspect wounded in shooting

By MIKE MORRIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/22/07

A police shootout during an early morning traffic stop Thursday left an Acworth officer and a suspect wounded.

The officer's bulletproof vest saved his life when he was shot in the chest about 3 a.m., Acworth police Sgt. Wayne Dennard said.

The incident began with a traffic stop of a Honda Accord containing two people at a Publix shopping center on Baker Road at Cowan Road, just off I-75 in the north Cobb County town.

Dennard said the passenger in the Honda ran away and was chased by the officer. The officer caught up with the man at the edge of nearby woods and was shot in the chest.

The officer returned fire, striking the suspect in the head, Dennard said.

The suspect was airlifted to Atlanta Medical Center. His condition was not immediately available.

The officer was taken by ambulance to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital, and was in fair condition.

Dennard said the officer's body armor "absolutely, without a doubt" saved his life.

"When the officer left the scene, he was alert, conscious and talking," Dennard said. "Tonight is a good testimony for bulletproof vests. It did the job it was supposed to do."

The officer's name has not been released, but Dennard said he has been with the department for "a couple of years," and had worked for another local police agency before joining Acworth police.

The driver of the Honda was also taken into custody. Dennard did not
know what prompted the initial traffic stop.
I understand the officer if okay and was alert and giving a "thumbs-up" at Kennestone hospital.

This happened in a store parking lot where I shop all the time.

:shock:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.