·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acworth officer, suspect wounded in shooting

By MIKE MORRIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/22/07

A police shootout during an early morning traffic stop Thursday left an Acworth officer and a suspect wounded.

The officer's bulletproof vest saved his life when he was shot in the chest about 3 a.m., Acworth police Sgt. Wayne Dennard said.

The incident began with a traffic stop of a Honda Accord containing two people at a Publix shopping center on Baker Road at Cowan Road, just off I-75 in the north Cobb County town.

Dennard said the passenger in the Honda ran away and was chased by the officer. The officer caught up with the man at the edge of nearby woods and was shot in the chest.

The officer returned fire, striking the suspect in the head, Dennard said.

The suspect was airlifted to Atlanta Medical Center. His condition was not immediately available.

The officer was taken by ambulance to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital, and was in fair condition.

Dennard said the officer's body armor "absolutely, without a doubt" saved his life.

"When the officer left the scene, he was alert, conscious and talking," Dennard said. "Tonight is a good testimony for bulletproof vests. It did the job it was supposed to do."

The officer's name has not been released, but Dennard said he has been with the department for "a couple of years," and had worked for another local police agency before joining Acworth police.

The driver of the Honda was also taken into custody. Dennard did not
know what prompted the initial traffic stop.
I understand the officer if okay and was alert and giving a "thumbs-up" at Kennestone hospital.

This happened in a store parking lot where I shop all the time.

:shock:

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
His mother was on the radio this morning crying "My baby didn't have to die the police shot him in the head like an animal." :puke:

No wonder he grew up to be a criminal.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
This was a pretty eye openeing as I knew the officer when I lived in Cobb County. He is a good officer and I am glad to see he is well. Back then he was with Cobb, then they mentioned a transfer to Acworth.

When I heard his name last night on the news, and then saw the picture, it was a very wierd feeling seeing somebody you know!

He was very lucky

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh my poor baby, he was such a good boy, NOT!!!!!!

ber950 said:
His mother was on the radio this morning crying "My baby didn't have to die the police shot him in the head like an animal." :puke:

"Stupid is as Stupid does" "thats all I got to say about that".
And the Darwin award goes to..........
=D> :-#

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
"My baby didn't have to die the police shot him in the head like an animal."
By God and all that's holy m'amm you are right!!
He did NOT have to die.

He could have been a nice upstanding law abiding citizen. When he was stopped for speeding/redlight/whatever he could have handed over his license, signed for his $75 ticket and only been a few minutes late getting home to give you a hug & take the plate of warm cookies & that icy cold glass of milk which you surely had waiting for him; being the loving, caring and attentive mother you certainly are....
:roll:

But unfortunately* your son was a criminal dipshyt that ran from a simple traffic stop (why was that? did he have an outstanding warrent for something else? Did he have illegal drugs on him? Was he under the influence of some substance? Did he have a dead body in the trunk?) and then even worse fired upon an officer of the law. Now m'amm why don't you go bury your child & consider how your roll as mother may have resulted in the death of said person.
:evil:

*with the details we are currently aware of

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
ber950 said:

If we ever needed proof the fruit doesn't fall very far from the tree...

Of course, each time one of these punks gets his just due, his mom, auntie, great-grandmother, "local activist" or whatever is telling the rest of us what a fine upstanding young man he was and how the cops shot him down in cold blood for no good reason and how he may have a few youthful hi-jinks in his past but "he was never in no serious trouble", yadda, yadda, yadda...

Yeah, sure! My poor heart bleeds every time I hear that pitiful refrain. :-({|=

The truly sad part of it all is the cop will have to live with the consequences. He's the only one I have any sympathy for at all in this situation!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Macktee said:
My poor heart bleeds every time I hear that pitiful refrain.
Not me. I take a deep breath in and say "AAAhhhhh...more oxygen for me." Just one less oxygen thief in this world. ;)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Thank God for Kevlar.

I'm glad the punk died. Less chance he'll hurt anyone else. Obviously he wasn't a good enough kid to where he thought he could fight a traffic ticket by any other means than shooting it out with the police.

Peace out, thug! :shoot:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts