Active Shooter Take-Down with EDC pistol

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by gunsmoker, Aug 5, 2019.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Who's willing to take a shooting test / challenge / match designed to see if you can use your EDC carry gun, with your duty ammo (yes, the expensive stuff!) to engage a bad guy at a full 25 yards, firing within 4 seconds after you first raise your gun toward the target?

That's the first stage of the official Georgia POST (peace officer standards and training) qualification shoot-- 25 yards, from behind cover, 1 shot at a time, each shot taken in 4 seconds. Each shot requires lowering the gun and resetting the stopwatch for another 4-second time limit.

The actual POST qualification says to do this only twice, but I say let's do it for a total of 10 shots, and see how many out of those 10 would could be covered by a paper plate-- 9" circle over the center of a bad guy's chest.

Since many (most) ranges don't allow for any movement during regular range time by the general public (not students in a class), let's skip the barrier / cover part. So, no movement. Just stand there with the gun at low ready, and when you're ready, raise it and take the shot within 3.99 seconds of when you first heard the "go" signal or mentally told yourself to start.

THE REASON IT'S 25 YARDS ONLY is that so many of us only practice our shooting at 5 or 7 yards, which is statistically a very good distance for most defensive handgun use, but NOT for an ACTIVE SHOOTER IN PUBLIC. At the mall, your workplace, or a school, you may encounter a bad guy on a rampage with a long gun, and you may first see him from a considerable distance away.

So, who's up for the ACTIVE SHOOTER take-down challenge?

Do this on your own, at your own range whenever you want, and post the results here.
    No race guns or dedicated range guns allowed. This is for your carry guns-- the ones you actually pack on you person regularly. Not the long-barreled, laser-sighted home defense pistol on your nightstand.

Nothern_Defector likes this.
  2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I'll shoot it at the range this week when I'm there. It's a good chance to put my Glock 45 up against my Sig M17 and see if the US Military made the right choice.

3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Will a .380 shoot that far, enough to punch a paper plate ?

4. RedDawnTheMusical

Yes - if you throw the bullet at the target.

5. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Yes I am in. I'll try the shield 45, glock 19, and a ruger 10mm (yes I carry it)

6. RedDawnTheMusical

First of all, I just want to say that 25 yards is out there. I can barely see the damn target - especially once I start focusing on the front site....
    [​IMG]

I shot this today but will need to redo it with my Sig P320 as the magazine was loaded with 15 rounds instead of 10. I had accidentally grabbed one of the loaded self-defense mags (loaded with Hordany Critical Duty) instead of the one that I had loaded with ball ammo for the test. However, I will post the results here until I can reshoot later in the week:
    [​IMG]

The bottom target is a 6" circle, shot with the Sig, w/ 7 out of 15 rounds. For a 9" radius, another 3 rounds would have made it in, for a total of 10 out of 15. I'm kind of surprised the other 5 were so high, even though they were grouped well. I'll have to look into what I'm doing there (other than just getting old).

The top target was shot with the Glock 45, 10 rounds. The orange circle is actually smaller (four inches instead of six), but the way the photo is skewed (wide angle lense, shot top-down) it looks the same size. Weird. Anyway, there were 7 out of 10 shots in that 9" radius. I don't typically shoot Glocks as well or carry them as much, so I wasn't terribly disappointed with the results.

All shots were < 4 sec apart from the previous shot - I have a tendency to shoot a little fast. I just get so excited...

Next trip I will setup some targets with a pre-drawn 9" radius to make things easier.

7. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Have to wait for this weekend, but challenge accepted.

P229R - 40
    92FS - 9

8. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I've shot beer bottles at 25 yards, and can get 18 rounds on paper at 1 round per second from my G17. Not all of them are pretty, but they're all inside a 65% ratio silhouette. I need to practice more with my smaller guns, or start carrying the larger ones more often.

gunsmoker likes this.
  9. zetor

Me too. I can hit 4 bottles. After that, I start missing.

MWAG, gunsmoker and Baba Yaga like this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Yes. And it will punch a paper target. It will not punch human skin though. So you have to shoot for the eyes to hopefully blind the gun in his aiming eye. Then charge him shooting for the other eye.

Make sure he has no bayonet and charges you back.

Nemo

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Sounds like the "John Wick School of Shooting." :lol:

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

<Smiles>

You used to be able to do that, eh?
    Thanks for the history lesson.

Now, what if your future holds an encounter with an active shooter at the mall, and you don't have that full size duty pistol, but rather a compact model? The kind that you actually do carry daily?

Can you reliably hit beer cans at 25 yards?
    How about 1 L soda bottles?
    2 L Coke bottles?
    Gallon milk jugs?
    Beach balls?
    12 gal. tall kitchen trash cans?
    35 gallon garbage cans?

Harhib likes this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Thats why I carry a S&W 5906 as my EDC. Yeah I sometimes walk almost in a big circle but spare mags on the other side helps keep a reasonably straight line.

Nemo

14. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Had a 5906 when they came out. Learned to point and shoot with it. Few years later, friend wanted it so I sold it to him. (IDIOT). Last year acquired another lone, taking this one to the grave, so to speak. Also have a 6906 as a backup.

P.S. -- If you carry the bigger one opposite of the smaller one with an extra clip, you just walk like you have a limp, but its a straight line......

15. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

So is the challenge about compact pistols, or full size? I consider my 229 kinda small for me due to large hands, but are we talking XDS 45 small ? Shield 9/45? LCR 380?
    Then 25 yards might be doable, but I feel to much acquisition time spent will get you dead.
    Or broke due to lots of training ammo.

There are limitations of weapon size to promote accuracy in high stress situations for POST training, and duty carry. Please correct me if wrong.

Sub-compact / compact weapons have a niche to serve. shorter barrel length will dictate for most, something up close and personal. As well as ease of carry.

I think this is a very cool challenge for anyone to attempt. We all need to know better our capabilities.

16. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I've hit a milk jug full of water at 25 yards with my Bersa .380 shooting Cor-Bons. They punched all the way through the jug and stuck about a quarter inch into the wet phone book behind it. I had to aim just over the top of the jug to hit at that range though.

17. zetor

I’m surprised there was any noticeable drop at 25 yards

18. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The drop is more likely due to the downward shooting angle. Keep in mind the bullet is still on the climb of the arch at closer ranges. Take the arch out farther and it will be higher at 25 yards than it will at 10 yards.

19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The drop is more likely due to the downward shooting angle. Keep in mind the bullet is still on the climb of the arch at closer ranges. Take the arch out farther and it will be higher at 25 yards than it will at 10 yards.

20. RedDawnTheMusical

EDC - whatever your daily carry is (or 'are' in the case of people that use different guns as their EDC) is what you should shoot the competition with. I have a tendency to carry larger duty-size (full size) pistols as I don't need deep concealment. So, I'm shooting a Sig M17 and a Glock 45.