Active military carry question.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Peepaw, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Peepaw

Peepaw Member

My grandson recently got stationed at Moody AFB.
    Someone down there told him that with his active military status that a GWL was not needed.

He has doubt about this being true and so do I.
    Could someone confirm one way or the other if this is true or not?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

3. Peepaw

Peepaw Member

Thanks for that. Just after I posted this question I noticed the other thread about this same subject. I guess I should have looked a bit harder. Thanks for the answer though.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Given he's on the FL border and may well want to cross into FL, he may want to investigate whether FL does the same. If not, reciprocity with a GWL may be in his interests even if he doesn't need it for GA.

rmodel65 likes this.
  5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It depends on what you mean by "need." It is true he does not need a GWL for purposes of OCGA 16-11-126 (carrying a weapon without a license), but he would need one for other purposes, most notably 1) carrying on MARTA, in an airport (including parking lot), or within a reasonable distance of a bus stop, and 2) alternative to NICS check when purchasing a firearm from an FFL in GA.

6. Peepaw

Peepaw Member

I talked to him last night and told him I would advise he get the permit. He agreed that it would be the best action to take.
    He likes to open carry and it would probably avoid him some hassle in the future.