Action Needed

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Malum Prohibitum, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I guess I should make this its own separate topic.

This has become an urgent matter. If you want HB 89 to become law this year, please call and email your Senator, today, and very simply and politely, request that your Senator do what he or she can to pass HB 89 in its original form, as it passed out of the House.

This applies whether your Senator is on Rules or not.

2. Malum Prohibitum

You may find your Senator by clicking HERE.

3. Malum Prohibitum

If you do not know who is your Senator, then you may find out by clicking here.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Which will give you your Senate District in the lower right hand corner. Then go into this link to get that district's Senator! :wink:

Please call and email.

Please keep it very polite and simple.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

emails sent to the 3 main people and my senator.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Remember, if you are hesitating, you may be the only person in your district that your Senator has a chance to hear from on this subject today . . .

7. Malum Prohibitum

Oh - one more thing. When writing to your own Senator, do not forget to state that Senator is your Senator.

I am a constituent. I live in _______.

This is very important for those of you using office email that may show a work address that is not in your Senator's district.

Concerns from constituents go to the head of the line.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Done.

I emailed and called Senator David Shafer.

9. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Called and e-mailed Senator Adelman. Since he voted against it in Judiciary, I'm not sure if it'll do much good but can't hurt. I let him know I'm in his district and a member of georgiacarry.org

I'll call and e-mail the other 3 tonite.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I contacted Sen. Smith.

11. EARN

EARN New Member

Gun bill holstered for year, says Cagle

By CARLOS CAMPOS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 04/18/07

A bill to extend access to firearms in motor vehicles in Georgia will not be debated by the Legislature, Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said today.

"This bill is dead for the session," Cagle, the Senate president, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in a phone interview. "There was every effort made to try to reach an agreement and at the end of the day neither side could seemingly come to an agreement that they could live with. And there was not the support to bring it to the floor and so we let the bill die for the year."

The state Senate was prepared to debate House Bill 89 this week, but the mass shootings at Virginia Tech forced legislators to question the timing of such a discussion.

"I think that clearly it was on the minds of every elected official," Cagle said.

HB 89 is a hybrid version of a House bill sponsored by Rep. Timothy Bearden (R-Villa Rica) and Senate Bill 43, sponsored by Sen. Chip Rogers (R-Woodstock). Bearden's bill would allow motorists to conceal weapons anywhere inside of their cars. Current law requires them to be exposed to plain view, or hidden in a glove box or center console. Rogers' bill would essentially allow employees to store firearms in their motor vehicles while parked in company parking lots. The bill would've still allowed the owners of the parking lots to prohibit firearms on the property. But not all businesses own their lots.

The bill upset the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, an important Republican ally. It also was opposed by gun safety advocates, and many in law enforcement, who feared it would lead to more guns on the state's roads and highways — increasing the potential for violence. But he National Rifle Association put tremendous pressure on lawmakers to take up the bill. They argued SB 43 allowed Georgians to defend themselves and their families while commuting to and from work.

Legislators were considering taking a vote on it this week, but the shootings at Virginia Tech chilled the discussion.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Perdue has also asked that the they keep meeting to fix/finalize the budget.

13. Ruger13

Ruger13 New Member

Done.

And will do again for my wife and then eldest daughter (the only ones who can vote :cry: )...I have their proxey votes :lol:

14. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Done.

I don't care if it's too late or not.

15. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

I agree, it may be too late, but it's done.

16. Malum Prohibitum

WatchTheirHands and foshizzle, it is not too late.

The bill's author is still pushing, and he has some allies.

There is still time. They are still in session.

GCO, as an organization, made its official position known to the Senate in writing yesterday afternoon (followed by the Lt. Gov. declaring the bill "dead.") :roll: .

To everybody who can see this: If you have time to read or post here, then make time to call and write your Senator, right now! Please do not take time posting here today or tomorrow when you can be using that time to politely urge Senators to pass HB 89.

This is not yet over.

Personal visits can work wonders, too.

We can post all about it this weekend, but put your typing fingers to better use for now. :wink:

17. Malum Prohibitum

HB 89 in its original version as passed out of the House can "be lived with" and will pass out of the Senate by a wide margin.

They just have to have the courage to strip out the language the NRA added this week.

That is all there is to it.

18. Taler

Taler New Member

Have we any way to contact the NRA and ask that they drop their additional language?

It seems to me that one "winner" without their language is better than a "loser" with.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Perhaps you do not understand the circumstances. They already know this.

Our only hope is for Senators to stand up and do the right thing before the session ends.

20. Taler

Taler New Member

Yeah, MP. I do know...

Emails sent again.