A win for our side--America's Thrift Stores

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Dawgdoc, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

I need to take a minute to toot my own horn a little.

Last weekend, my family and I went to Chattanooga for some shopping. We stopped at America's Thrift Store, a chain that has stores in 5 states, including Georgia. As I was about to enter (my wife already being in the store), my son brought my attention to the "no weapons" sign (a 6-inch square gun buster with some writing). I called my wife from outside the store and told her we would not be shopping there. As many of know, in Tennessee, if a legally-armed person were to pass through that door, they would be committing a crime.

When I got home, I sent a polite email to the corporation via their web form. I explained that I understood they could choose to prohibit weapons, but I would not be shopping there, and I used our normal logic about gun-free zones. Predictably, I received a reply from their customer service rep stating that they respected my decision, but their policy was to ensure a safe environment for their employees and customers.

The next day, however, I received an email from the CEO. He gets a copy of all the customer feedback, and he was amendable to investigating the issue. He said he would have one his heads contact other stores in these states, and asked if he or his rep could call me. I of course replied yes, but I also took the opportunity in the reply email to explain the peculiarities of TN law in regards to the legal weight of signs.

Today, I received a call from the CEO. He said that as of that moment, he had just directed all of his stores to remove the signs. I asked if he had received a lot of feedback or if I had actually influenced him. He diplomatically stated that much of the feedback he had received was not as polite and reasoned as my messages, and that being made aware of TN law was a large part of the decision to remove the signs.

By the time I got home today, he had sent me another email; it was a forwarded message from the manager in the Chattanooga store informing him that they had removed the signs!

I don't know if any Georgia stores were ever posted, but as of today, they have been directed by the CEO to remove any of those signs.

I am heartened that using polite logic and reasoning managed to sway a person of some means and power. As I communicated with the CEO, I was remembering MP's advice about influencing those on the other side. In this case, it appears the gun-free zones were made out of ignorance than actually antipathy to guns.

2. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

That's wonderful. Thank you for actually following up with them by sending the feedback. Being polite and articulate can go along way sometimes.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good job, lobbying for gun rights on your own like this!

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

5. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Well done, sir!

6. sunnymw

sunnymw Active Member

That's awesome. We have one in Athens. I'll have to check and see next time I brave crossing the line.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Bravo Good Sir, Bravo!

Nemo

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Whoa, that's simply amazing!

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Congratulations, well done. Just FYI, never been in it but there is one on Hwy 5 in Marietta.

10. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes[/ame]

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This makes all the difference in the world. Great job!

12. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Great work! The best thank-you would be a very large receipt. :D

13. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Since we likely have zero chance of passing campus carry until Cagle is up for reelection in 2022, I think passing Tennessee's gun ban liability law needs to be GCO's top priority until then.

14. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

What I find interesting is the phrasing by the CEO seems to indicate that the signs were put up just to discourage the "crazies," that he didn't realize they carried force of law.

15. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Excellent job DawgDoc!!! Much more impressive than the normal, "I saw a sign and I refuse to eat there...that will show them!!!" tactic that leaves large companies shaking in their boots and falling over themselves to change policy.

16. EJR914

As much as I hate to do it, I concur. These gun free zones are just getting out of control.

17. EJR914

Yep, most people, CEO or not have no idea what the laws are and how they effect their businesses or anything else.

Just making them gently aware, and being very polite and nice about things can go a long way.

Nobody likes nasty comments. Especially, when you want something.

Not saying this will work all the time, but it was very effective this time, because obviously, the CEO was unaware and also, now he may even be slightly pro-carry into his establishment.

Nobody go take their AR-15 slung into this place, ok?