A Tale of Two USPS Deliveries

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by moe mensale, Oct 26, 2020.

1. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

A Tale of Two USPS Deliveries.

1 – I ordered a Trump yard sign from an Ebay vendor located in Cartersville on Oct 5. Vendor ships it Oct 6. She figured two days delivery. After all, it’s only a 45 minute drive to Rome. It then disappears from the postal system. Vendor puts a trace on it and it’s discovered in Memphis, TN. Sign is finally delivered on Oct 14. Eight ( 8 ) days total.

2 – I mail a letter to a state agency in Atlanta on Oct 13 via Priority Mail. It should be delivered on Oct 14. It promptly disappears from the postal system. I put a trace on it on Oct 17 and it’s discovered in Greensboro, NC. It finally returns to Atlanta on Oct 21 where it languishes in the postal system undelivered until today, Oct 26. Thirteen (13) days total.

This is the same USPS that’s going to efficiently accept, handle and deliver some 50-70 million (?) absentee ballots for the general election? We are in Clusterf*ck Nation. :drink:

pml, UtiPossidetis and MSgt G like this.
  2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

You should be glad you received great service. 6 months ago my wife ordered some vape juice. The package originated in Conyers, GA. To this day it is still traveling the US bouncing from state to state. We're thinking it hooked up with the roaming gnome and will never come home.

3. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Over 2.5 months ago, I ordered over $300 worth of things from a company in Orlando, which is roughly an 8-9 drive from me, 30 miles NW of Atlanta. It took it about a week to get to Atlanta, then it went 2 hours east to Augusta (in the wrong direction), where is sat for quite some time. Then it left Augusta and disappeared, with the tracking showing "On its way to next destination" for several weeks. In the meantime, after getting tired of the vendor blowing smoke up my butt about a USPS claim, I gave them a deadline and told them that I would dispute the charge on my credit card after then. No reply from the sender, so I initiated a charge dispute after my deadline. A day or two later, the sender refunded my money, so I cancelled the dispute on the charge. I told the sender that if the package ever showed up, I would refuse delivery and Return To Sender. Last week, that happened. The 26+" x 6+" x 2+" box (not a small envelope, which could have literally "fallen between the cracks") showed up, bent, partially opened, and about 2.25 months too late. Fortunately, I was able to catch the mail carrier after she looped back around on my street, handed her the box, and told her that I refused it. About 2 days later, it made it back to Orlando.

How did the unionized self-serving red tape affirmative action bureaucrats lose a large box for that long? Because they are a dysfunctional clusterF organization that can't find its own ass with both of its hands, and could F up a wet dream.

Whenever I read about someone mailing in their election ballot, I literally roll my eyes. They are gullible enough to assume that their ballot will make it to the proper destination, on time.

edited: And, my daily mail was just delivered at 9:30 pm :screwy::screwy::screwy:. It normally arrives between 1:00-5:00 pm.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  4. moe mensale

No, I'm not. They sent me a little survey on the trace I submitted. If their software deletes "nasty" words my comments won't make any coherent sentences.

5. Hombre

Hombre PITA

I rip them a new one, on every one of those stupid surveys, getting quite detailed and specific. Probably moot, as I imagine only peons read them (what makes it through the word filters).

What really chaps my ass is when my package is stuck in some other state for days or weeks, I file a claim giving details about where it is, and the idiots have my local post office call me about it when the problem is in another state, then the person tells me exactly what I read on their tracking system, and the person cannot tell me any more than that.

How long has USPS been delivering mail? (rhetorical question) And after all of those years, they still can't figure out how to do it right.

1) Gov't agency - practically unaccountable to anyone.
    2) Labor union.
    3) A huge percentage of their employees are hired for racist reasons, having no real qualifications for the job.

There are quite a few really good and competent USPS employees. But I bet many of them hate their job, because of the management - at least the ones that really care, and have a good work ethic. If I were to get hired there, which is practically impossible, because I am an old white male who is not a veteran, I probably wouldn't last a week, because I would try to bypass the red tape BS and do the job right, then get fired because of it.

6. Darklock

Darklock Active Member

When I filed a complaint about a lost letter, the ONLY response I received was a survey to fill out on how happy I was with their handling of my complaint.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

And your response was ?

Nemo

8. Hombre

Hombre PITA

If I recall correctly, in that survey, there are 1 or 2 comment boxes. They look small, like you could only type one sentence, but the allowable number of characters seemed huge. I was able to type a few paragraph's worth of very negative, yet very accurate comments. Probable all for nothing, regarding being noted by anyone in charge there, but at least it helped me feel better by venting a ton of stress caused by those buffoons. I rarely go a month without filing some sort of claim with those idiots, and I'm just a regular person - not a business.

9. Darklock

Darklock Active Member

If that was directed at me, basically what Hombre said.

10. DKW

DKW Active Member

Sure seems like the postal service is efficient in delivering me political flyers this year. I have gotten on average 4-5 flyers everyday for the past few months now.:D

11. 175FO

175FO Member

It's way past time for the postal service to be privatized. Sell the assets to the highest bidder and let a private company run it. Just like anything government does it is mis-managed, over-spending, and wasteful. Yes, costs will go up when it's privatized, but we would get a much more efficient system.

12. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

I probably mail out 10,000+ letters, parcels, and packages per year, so figure ~200,000 in the past twenty years.

Offhand, I can think of just a couple of occurrences of things not arriving in a reasonable time frame (I remember one was a mail truck fire... pretty dramatic!) I *have* had a problem with Priority mail arriving a day late (which vexes me to no end.)

I also use mail services in three other countries fairly frequently, and the US Mail service is *amazing* when compared to mail services elsewhere, even in advanced nations (sometimes my domestic mail within Japan is slower than my international mail from Japan to the USA; sometimes I'll order something twice from Amazon.jp, sending one to my house in Japan and one to my house in the USA, and it will arrive in the USA first!)

So I have few complaints.

*My* experience has been that 99% of postal issues are caused by *user error*, not by the postal system itself. Sloppy writing, incorrect addresses, too few stamps, etc. So I am much more likely to have *inbound* mail issues because the originating mailer made a mistake. I do NOT make mistakes (really, take that extra 5 seconds to check the parcel), so my ratio of outbound mail problems to inbound mail problems is probably 1:100... tacit proof of user error as the culprit.

THAT SAID, I do not think ballots should be sent through the mail - because people WILL make mistakes - unless there's no choice. There SHOULD be copiously-available locations for turning in ballots to official, secure boxes (I like the one in front of the courthouse in Downtown Decatur because there's a Waffle House right there, and I can celebrate my contributions to liberty with a double scattered, smothered & covered afterwards.)

I'm always going to prefer voting in person: like church, you should just get up, dress, and go. After that, drop boxes. Save the mail for business and pleasure, not duty (unless there is simply no other option.)

DH

13. brownie2

brownie2 Member

Thanks dhaller!
    I'm a Rural Carrier for Usps. I deliver everything everyday that comes into the office to the customers on my route. Even the stupid ones that have no idea how stressful the job is who just love to bitch and complain because I'm just a stupid mail carrier and there so perfect.

Don't send cash in mail. Common sense.
    If you just have to send a ballot send it certified and you'll have tracking and delivery receipt.
    Since Amazon hit Usps Memorial weekend of 2016, I think, it has been crazy. We had one mail count in 2018 and it was at a slower time. Mail counts base our pay. Since Covid hit it has been worse than Christmas with package volume. 50 to 100 percent more than mail count volume and no additional pay. The election mail has been awful.

When you consider that the PO delivers more volume of parcels than other companies combined AND all the "mail". It's amazing how efficient it really is. Heck the PO doesn't even have its own airplanes.
    No way would privatization ever work. How would you like Jeff Bezos to own the PO.
    How about a discussion on FedEx or UPS. The tag office, the DMV, the company you work for.
    I'm not a union member. I agree the USPS has lots of problems. Bad employees just like any other company. Donkeys and Elephants. Internal sabatoge (I believe) because the new PM General is a Trump man. Wore out equipment, etc.
    No offense to Moe or other posters but damn. This is not the time to bitch about the PO to a mail carrier.

14. 175FO

175FO Member

Privatization would absolutely work. That is the reason why Amazon is doing some of their own deliveries now. If the post office was run privately, they would charge higher rates, comparable to UPS and FEDEX. They could afford then to buy planes, hire more employees, and be more efficient. That's part of the beauty of capitalism. Private companies are in business to be profitable, so they have efficiency goals, customer satisfaction goals etc... because if they suck, people don't want to do business with them. Government run organizations have no incentive to do any of those things. They aren't spending their own money.

I am not saying being a postal carrier is an easy job. I am saying that USPS could be run more effectively under private ownership.

15. Hombre

Hombre PITA

I agree. Many, many very un-qualified people have jobs with USPS simply because of who they are. Get rid of that mandate, and they could hire competent people, who want to work hard and do a good job. Both managers and common workers.

Plus, under privatization, USPS could hire someone competent to create a tracking system that is accurate and just plain works - just like UPS and FedEx have, but USPS does not. The USPS tracking system is a sick joke, and quite obviously designed by either an idiot or a corrupt government contractor.

We have had at least 2 viewpoints in this thread taking up for USPS. I can appreciate that to some degree, even though my experiences have been quite the opposite. I have only once had a shipping problem caused by user error. I received a package intended for someone 3 houses down, with the correct names (that I did not recognize), but my street number on the label (user error). Since I did not recognize the name, instead of walking it down to them, I marked Return To Sender, Incorrect Address and put it back in my mailbox. A few days later, the recipient (whom I did not know), knocked on my door. Every other single issue I have ever had with USPS (many dozens), the problem most certainly was not user error, but rather USPS fracking up, big time. Losing packages, opening packages, and damaging packages (even though smashing boxes is UPS's forte').

Both UPS and FedEx certainly have their issues, but they run circles around USPS in many ways, simply because they are not forced to hire incompetents, and because they have a much different motivation than self-serving government workers.

16. moe mensale

That dog won't hunt. Not when you're using USPS's own resources. I have an on-line account. I have a scale. They verify the address. They tell me what the postage is. I print my own labels after paying. Etc, etc. And most if not all businesses do the same. It's simple, really. The USPS is incompetent. One or one thousand letters/parcels. It doesn't matter.

pml likes this.
  17. moe mensale

Cool your jets. No one is calling you or any other mail carrier stupid. And it's really not a great idea to call your route customers stupid either. Especially when they have legitimate complaints. The complaints are about the USPS system itself. The postal system is broken. It's inefficient. It's flawed. You said it yourself. You "deliver everything everyday that comes into the office." What about the stuff that doesn't make it to the office? Or doesn't get there on time? Or gets lost forever? Or gets destroyed?

Mail from Cartersville to Rome doesn't route through Memphis, TN.

Mail from Rome to Atlanta doesn't route through Greensboro, NC.

I don't have a problem with you or any other mail carrier. I have a problem with the system you work for. The Postal Service's only saving grace is that it's Constitutionally mandated.

BTW, my absentee ballot for the June 9 primary arrived on June 10.

18. Darklock

Darklock Active Member

Another time I received a letter in the mail that had my street number, but a different street in a different state. I stopped the carrier on her way back down the road to give it to her. Her response," Your address was the closest I could find." When I pointed out it was to go to a different state, she said, "We can't be expected to read the whole address."

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  19. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

OK, here is my lost mail story. This occurred in the 80s, and involves the USPS as well as the postal services of 2 other nations.

I was living in Mexico City. A friend from college sent me a letter. However, by the time it arrived at the post office box in Mexico City, I had been sent to Honduras for a few months. My office in Mexico City forwarded the letter to Honduras.

After about 6 months I returned to Mexico City. Shortly thereafter, my friend's letter arrived in Honduras.

The folks in our office in Honduras sent it back to Mexico City.

After about 4 months in Mexico City, I returned to the USA.

Then my friend's letter arrived in Mexico City, so our office there sent it to my home address in Dalton, my parents' home.

I was at my folks' place in Dalton for a couple of weeks then moved to Atlanta.

Shortly after I moved, my friend's letter arrived at my parents' home. They forwarded it to me in Atlanta.

HOWEVER, before it arrived my friend came to visit. He talked about things that he expected me to already know... But I didn't (because that info was in his letter).

Anyway... A few days after his visit... His letter arrived!!!

20. cbrer

cbrer All men created equal...by Col. Colt.

Has it occurred to anyone that the Post Office is being managed badly (in some aspects) on purpose? Everything from equipment removal, pension funding, and overtime cutback has imposed hardship on an organization that many want to see privatized.
    Combined with the issues any organization experiences, this can make it fit neatly into world views that some politicians want to push.
    It seems straight out of a "conspiracy" novel, but I won't ignore any evidence to favor any agenda.

CBH likes this.