A quick post to say "Hi"

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by shamalama, Apr 18, 2006.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

This is just a quick post to introduce myself to this group. The status of SB 396 is what brought this forum to my attention, although there are tons of useful information in these forums and at GeorgiaPacking.org.

I am a 46-year-old male from Conyers (Rockdale County, just east of Atlanta) and have lived there my entire life. Yep, I'm a true Native.

I have owned various firearms in my life, although today I only own a Remington 870 for home defense. I am looking for a good personal defense handgun and am considering various calibers and prices. I certainly won't get into the ".45 vs. 9mm vs .40" debate but I will watch y'all discuss it and hopefully learn something about it. I would use it both "in the nightstand" as well as CCW. But I'm not going to spend a whole paycheck for it.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to visit. I have just finished my email letter to Perdue about SB 396.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:

As to the debate on caliber, I will fire the first shot . . . :D

I prefer the largest caliber I can get, in the heaviest grain available, with the best bullet construction imaginable for the particular caliber and expected velocity.

I normally carry a .45 in 230 grain Federal Hydrashock.

With that having been said, there are times when carrying a .45 is inappropriate for one reason or another. I sometimes carry a caliber as small as .380 (Gold Dots, I think).

For a nightstand gun, as you suggested, I prefer a big revolver. At night, in the dark, bleary eyed and perhaps in some state of panic, I would prefer not to mess with safeties or other mechanical switches or levers, and I would prefer not to worry about clearing malfunctions. I would also prefer that any other authorized users with perhaps less practice not have to worry about these issues, either. A big, accurate revolver is a good choice. Of course, your shotgun is better if you have time to get to it.

But for carry, a several pound stainless revolver might not be your first choice.

Neither may be a .45, since you might not carry it everywhere and anywhere as you would something smaller.

You will have to weigh the option of what you really will carry. A gun does no good if you do not have it with you when needed. Accordingly, select one you are likely to carry if you are truly limited to one.

My choice was to instead have a selection so that I can carry whatever is appropriate, so that I usually have a .45, but I at least have something for those days when I am "not carrying." :wink:

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:wave:

Howdy from another native. Yes there are a few of us. I really don't mind people moving here. I just don't care how they did it where they came from.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Unless, of course, you are referring to their less restrictive gun laws . . .

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

There are exceptions for every rule :D

I just can't stand to have someone tell me they know how to drive in snow, like we get snow instead of ice.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Hello,

My caliburs of choice are .45, .40 and when I can't carry one of those it is .380. Speer Golddot is often what I have, though my 1911 likes Pow-R-Ball the most.

For around $500 (not sure what price limit you are looking at) I would recommend Springfield XD. It comes in 9mm, 40S&W, 45GAP and 45ACP. Some police departments are starting to use them. You can also add night sights and a light on the rail.