A National Parks Bill Passes House!

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Not much, but it is a start.

:D

From VCDL Alert:

15. House bill to prevent expansion of NPS anti-gun regulations

Congressman Bishop (R-Utah) sponsored an amendment to the "Celebrating America's Heritage Act" that effectively would prevent the National Park Service from establishing any gun regulations different from existing local laws. While this might not change the current situation in national parks, it would help prevent expansion of the NPS' anti-gun agenda.

Below is the applicable text of the law (short), followed by a short explanatory news release.

http://tinyurl.com/39yn5x

H.R.1483
    Celebrating America's Heritage Act (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)

SEC. 6001. APPLICATION OF CERTAIN STATE AND LOCAL LAWS.

All designated and future designated lands within any natural heritage area for which funding is provided under this Act shall be exclusively governed by relevant State and local laws regarding hunting, fishing, and the possession or use of a weapon, trap, or net.

Passed the House of Representatives October 24, 2007.

Attest: Clerk. 110th CONGRESS 1st Session
    H. R. 1483
    AN ACT

To amend the Omnibus Parks and Public Lands Management Act of 1996 to extend the authorization for certain national heritage areas, and for other purposes.

Here is a news release from Congressman Bishop's office:

http://tinyurl.com/3dsbqo

Bishop Provision Protects 2nd Amendment Rights House Adds Clarifying Amendment to Heritage Areas Bill

Washington, Oct 24 - The U.S. House of Representatives today passed an amendment sponsored by Congressman Rob Bishop that will ensure there will be no federal infringement of Second Amendment rights on certain public lands.

The provision, which came in the form of the Republican Motion to Recommit on H.R. 1483, a bill to expand and create certain National Heritage Areas, stipulates that all designated lands within these areas would be exclusively governed by state and local laws regarding hunting, fishing, and the possession or use of a weapon, trap, or net.

"What we're basically saying is that on these public lands, state and local firearm and hunting laws come first and will be enforced," Congressman Bishop said. "This amendment makes an important clarification that local and state ordinances will have primacy, and that the rights which so many have enjoyed on these lands for generations will not be threatened by federal action." The northern Utah lawmaker, who sits on the House Resources Committee, added, "This was a win for statesí rights and for individual rights."

The Bishop language was added to the underlying legislation, the Celebrating Americaís Heritage Act, by a vote of 344-71. H.R. 1483, as amended, now heads to the U.S. Senate for further action.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It may not be a large jump, but it atleast a minor step in the right direction.

3. jason1

jason1 New Member

I have one problem with this bill myself ,It still lets the States and local Counties put up anti-gun road blocks and trust me the brady campaign will be on this like flies to a outhouse.So say if this does pass then New York pass a anti-gun bill that would make it illegal to carry in the National Parks you would end up having the same thing no guns allowed signs.

So if Congress wants to do this then they should pass a bill that bans the National Park Service from placing any regulations on the right to carry in the Parks.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

So now GA law affects Fed land... Great :-(

5. jason1

jason1 New Member

Yep thats it, Georgia would have the same laws on the books but they get
    to tell you what too do on Federal land. :cry:

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Better than federal regulation prohibiting carry.

7. Malum Prohibitum

And how would that not be an improvement over the current situation?

8. fallison

fallison Guest

I agree with MP. We are much more likely to be able to influence state law than we are bureaucratic regulations from Washington.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll second, well third, that comment. GCO can do a better job of lobbying the GA house than the US house. The counties can't regulate carrying here, so it's just the stste house to deal with.

10. fallison

fallison Guest

If I understand correctly, it is worse than lobbying the US House. Without the bill, we would have to convince the bureaucrats in the Forestry Department who answer to no one, not even voters.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Parks are in the Department of the Interior, specifically the National Park Service.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The Forest service already has a rule in place that is very similar to the Bill for the parks
    As for how the lobbying of the Department of the Interior goes, you are correct and that is why this bill was needed. They refused to change their regulation (which began by a petition started by VCDL). So the next step was to remove that decision from them.

13. Malum Prohibitum

I think it more accurate to state that they refused even to consider the petition for rulemaking.

14. fallison

fallison Guest

Sorry, can't keep up too well with all the overlapping federal departments, agencies, bureaus, etc. and the hierarchy they fall under. Thanks for correcting for me.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Let's just abolish them all!

16. fallison

fallison Guest

AMEN!!!!

17. phaed

phaed Active Member

unfortunately, i think that's how this war must be fought. just as our liberties have been slowly chipped away over time, we have to rebuild them bit by bit. i'd love for a radical like ron paul to get in and do some wide-sweeping, relatively fast changes, but who realistically thinks that will happen?

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Who realistically thought we could break away from England?

19. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Even if a strong 2A candidate didn't win and just had a strong showing would be a real good thing IMO.

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh yea, definitely. At least we'd know some people have their priorities somewhat straight.