a most curious observation...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by artz, Nov 30, 2006.

1. artz

artz New Member

I was outside one of the main entrances of the Hiram Walmart, waiting for my girlfriend to arrive so we could do a lil' shopping, when I noticed a guy in cammies (not your U.S. type) with a glock in a holster strapped to his leg. He had no markings or insignia on his "uniform". In fact the uniform cammies were of european make and design. I'd seen'em before, either dutch or german. Anyway...He walked on in like he owned the place. A couple of teens' eyes got wide, but nobody stopped or questioned him going in the store. :shock:
    I was gonna wait for him to come out and ask him a couple of questions about his "adventure". Ten minutes later, I had to leave and meet my GF at another store after she phoned me.
    I sure wished I could have stayed....

2. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

I'll bet the isles were clear everywhere he went.

While it may be legal, that's asking for TROUBLE!

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Open carry in a wal*mart? hmmm

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I do it every time I go. As a matter of fact the only places I don't open carry are those prohibited by law.

5. Manwell

Manwell New Member

I have no problem with legal open carry, although I would question why someone would do so... excluding LEO or the like where the job demanded such. If I were a bad guy and was getting ready to do something real bad and saw someone that I knew for sure had a weapon, I’d do my best to eliminate that person as a potential problem. I carry concealed; do the very bet I can to ensure nobody knows I’m carrying.

Manwell

6. Foul

Foul New Member

Yup. Sometimes, what the bad guy doesn't know CAN hurt him. :twisted:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

More than likely you would rather find a "softer" target.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Really? I was under the impression that Wal*Mart didn't want to see your gun.

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Maybe in big city Hotlanta but not down here... Never even a second glance by ht3e employee's I do get the odd look now and then by some of the more "urban" looking youths but I think they are concerned that I might be a cop and thereby a threat to whatever unlawfull activities they may be up to.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

IIRC, they permit concealed, but not open, carry. That does not mean that every local manager follows corporate policy, or that anyone has cared enough to do anything about open carry in the store by someone who shops and buys but has not been regularly blowing people away in the sporting goods section.

11. Foul

Foul New Member

Yea. If you're going to do that, at least do it in the CD isle where they have all that crappy music.

JUST KIDDING!!! :roll:

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Actually, I have Atlanta as a placeholder really. I actually live in Statesboro while I'm at school, and Duluth while at home.

I not sure if I could get away with it down here. All the other college kids would go nuts at the sight of a gun.

13. Green911

Green911 New Member

I open carry in SE GA with no problem. The Walmart in Kingsland has never stopped me or asked questons. One night there where two in the fishing section. A older man with a larger 1911 and me with a Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO PT111.
    Also, this is my 1st post. So "hello" everyone.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

15. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

Down here in Evans, I see people open carrying all the time. Seriously, every time I go into walmart I see at least one person carrying a pistol holstered. But also, almost everybody I know has a gun and carries the thing.

ALSO, I was talking with a good friend of mine last night who said he open carried (holstered) into the local theatre yesterday (A really big one to) and had no problems what-so-ever. Nobody said anything to him, and only got a few weird looks.

Can't say that would happen to everybody, but he was willing to try it and see what happened.vv :righton:

16. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

Update

As I stated, everytime I go to walmart I see someone carrying.
    I just got back from walmart, picking up some bonless/ skinless chicken breasts, Steaks and potatoes to fix some hawaiian chicken, grilled steaks. Good eatin.! Anywho, right when I walked in the door there was a gorgeous woman about 5 foot 2 :D wearing a holstered 1911. Well when I went to check out an older guy at the register was pulling out his wallet from his back pocket when his shirt lifted up there was a nice Glock hiding there. :lol:

It just goes to show that some places dont care about people carrying. Unfortunately, not everybody feels that way..... :x

Well anywho, ive got alot of family on the way from out of town so its time to get the food ready to cook!!! :D :D :drink:

17. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I open carry on occasion, the most I ever had was the "are you a cop?". I've never had any problems at any walmart I've ever carried at. Matter of fact went today with the family, and while holding my very active son, noticed that I was printing like a mofo, got a couple of concerned looks from customers, but employees didn't even look twice.

18. albundy

albundy New Member

ain't it great

I carry at walmart in fort olgethorpe and i'm sure i've printed no one cares.

19. jccls

jccls New Member

I've open carried at both wal-marts here in Athens and had no problem. The only difference was that people called me "sir". Maybe they thought I was a cop.

While I agree that it is more tactically advantageous to carry concealed, I think it is good PR for the public to see someone BOTH carrying a gun AND not murdering/robbing someone. (Imagine that!)