Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

A Lot of Guns? Terrorism Task Force!

2K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  ptsmith24 
#1 ·
"Federal investigators" barge in to an apartment in Texas when a maintenance man reports too many guns in an apartment. The SEIZE the guns.

Now it looks like they have to return them . . . nothing illegal.

Watch the video, too. http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_sto ... 91216.html

#2 ·
How many people here have LESS than what this guy in Dallas had? Why are the feds there? Were the Dallas police so ignorant that they could not tell whether the weapons were full auto?

#5 ·
Can the police of a major metropolitan police force (not just one, this is a whole team plus supervisors) really be this incompetent on both the law and the technical aspects of firearms?

How is this possible?

#7 ·
I just do not get it. Is this few guns unusual in Dallas? How would it get a whole TEAM of police from different agencies all riled up?

How did this happen?

Of course, the reporters are incredulous for a different reason - they can't believe it is legal. That tells you a lot about the news media's level of sophistication on the topic. How can they report when they are so clueless?

#9 ·
Dallas Deputy Chief Vince Goldbeck is an idiot.

It always raises our interest level in why an individual has the number of weapons they do even if the weapons are legal
If they are legal and there is no suspected crime, why is there official interest? Why do the police need to know why I have LEGAL weapons in my possession.

The Owner, whoever owns those weapons will have to explain how those weapons came into their possession
Errrrr...I bought them :roll:

...find a cache of weapons we are going to take necessary precautions...
Cache?
cache Pronunciation[kash] Pronunciation Key - noun
1. a hiding place, esp. one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.: She hid her jewelry in a little cache in the cellar.
2. anything so hidden: The enemy never found our cache of food.
3. Alaska and Northern Canada. a small shed elevated on poles above the reach of animals and used for storing food, equipment, etc.

Doesn't seem to fit the definition, They weren't hidden, they were in his house, in plain view. If not in plain view, the maintenance guy may have some explaining to do.

And what are the necessary precautions for someone possessing a legal item in their home?

He then references an unrelated case where they found some weapons. WTF has that got to do with this guy?

#11 ·
I hope the members of this board realize that this is not uncommon.

This was the basis of the warrant in the Waco case. It originated with a Postman saying they have a lot of guns up there.

I am not sure but the real problem may be a lack of sophistcation among judges. The judge in this case should have asked. Whats the crime?

Somewhere, sometime, somehow, the police and courts have equated gun ownership with criminal. We have an uphill battle on our hands.

I think the media is a lot of the problem. They have an anti gun bias and don't want to hear the truth.

#12 ·
ber950 said:
I hope the members of this board realize that this is not uncommon.

This was the basis of the warrant in the Waco case.
No, I have seen the affidavit for the warrant in the Waco case. It started out as you say, but there was further investigation and the affidavit for the warrant set out details of what the officer thought was illegal.

I do not see any indication of that here.

#15 ·
I find it absolutely unbelievable. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard him spewing that. You would think that a Texas Deputy Chief would be a bit more Pro 2A. The pacification of America continues.

#17 ·
It is more than a Second Amendment issue. The fact is, nobody has to "explain" where he obtained a legal firearm in Texas. That is the law. So why is this guy pretending on television in front of the public that there is some such requirement?

And why is he indicating the police have an "interest" in investigating people for possessing legal weapons?

#18 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
No, I have seen the affidavit for the warrant in the Waco case. It started out as you say, but there was further investigation and the affidavit for the warrant set out details of what the officer thought was illegal.

I bet the afidavit in this case had more than the weapons too. I bet the media didn't make up that stuff about him traviling to the middle east I expect they got it from a police source.

The ugly truth is cops lie on affidavits. How often we don't know, but we know it happens. Just look at the Kathrine Johnson case.

You are right this is way more than a 2A case. I would say it is more of a 4A case myself.

#19 ·
ber950 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:

I bet the afidavit in this case had more than the weapons too. I bet the media didn't make up that stuff about him traviling to the middle east I expect they got it from a police source.

The ugly truth is cops lie on affidavits. How often we don't know, but we know it happens. Just look at the Kathrine Johnson case.

You are right this is way more than a 2A case. I would say it is more of a 4A case myself.
And when they do they should be smacked down severely with contempt charges from the judge that signed the warrant as well as criminal civil rights violations. No arrest or search is worth the tarnish to the credibility of the badge that such instances cause.

If the allegations of travel to Saudi Arabia were knowingly falsely put in the warrant affidavit, the feebs should jump all over it.

Unless something has changed, it isn't illegal in and of itself to travel to Saudi Arabia. I do believe in "totality of the circumstances", but simply travel to another country and the presence of weapons does not constitute probable cause for a warrant.

#21 ·
That's one thought as to why I never posted a picture of my collection on that thread someone started a while back - post your arsenal, or whatever. No point in advertising what I have because you never know who might be looking...

(ok, well that and because my arsenal amounts to about 5 guns...) :(

#25 ·
Among those discovered were:

2 AK-47 rifles

1 Uzi 9 mm submachine gun

1 TEC-9 submachine gun

1 40 mm ordnance launcher

Handheld ordnance launcher

About 500 rounds of ammunition.
Thats it??
:roll:

Glad I don't live in an apartment. Where did the victim have his guns? How exactly did the maintenance man happen to come across them? Hm? was he snooping around??

Having only lived in an apartment once for only 2 months; does the office not have to let you know BEFORE entering your home that they are coming in OTHER THAN an emergency (gas/water leak)??

The guy needs a safe! or the very least a dead bolt on a closet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.