Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's very hard to do what I'm about to ask long distance, but I'm out of ideas.

I'm on Bellsouth DSL, have been for years, no complaints. I want to add a wireless network in the house, so I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and have it hard-wired between the DSL modem and the PC (running XP).

I've run the set-up wizard numerous times, I've reset the router and modem numerous times (then re-run the wizard), I've played with the set-up in the router manually - basically I've done everything I can think of and no matter what I do, I can't get this thing to talk to the world. My PC sees the router fine (and I haven't made any effort to set-up the wireless portion yet) and as soon as I take the router out of circuit, my PC sees the internet fine, so I've concluded it's some issue with how the router and Bellsouth are dealing with each other.

Might anyone be able to give me a clue as to what might be the issue/fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: A Little IT Help, Please

livesounder said:
I know it's very hard to do what I'm about to ask long distance, but I'm out of ideas.

I'm on Bellsouth DSL, have been for years, no complaints. I want to add a wireless network in the house, so I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and have it hard-wired between the DSL modem and the PC (running XP).

I've run the set-up wizard numerous times, I've reset the router and modem numerous times (then re-run the wizard), I've played with the set-up in the router manually - basically I've done everything I can think of and no matter what I do, I can't get this thing to talk to the world. My PC sees the router fine (and I haven't made any effort to set-up the wireless portion yet) and as soon as I take the router out of circuit, my PC sees the internet fine, so I've concluded it's some issue with how the router and Bellsouth are dealing with each other.

Might anyone be able to give me a clue as to what might be the issue/fix?

Thanks
Had the same set up here. Hardwired to this PC, wireless to another PC in spare bedroom. Never knew when it would and wouldn't work.

After about a year I had Bell South came in and tried to get it to work and ended up them giving me what they call a Gateway. It's a combination of a router and DSL modem. No problems in over two years. Two working (1 wired and 1 wireless desk tops) full time. My wife and I bring laptops home from work and they connect right away wirelessly.

Back before the switch, MY IT guys said that basicaly the Linksys routers are trying to share ports or addresses on your home network and that they can but at some point it trips up and you have a problem.

The Gateway is the way to go. If you have to buy one from ATT it is $100.00 . But it is nice to always come in and see blinking green lights.

·
Registered
848 Posts

You need to change the modem into "gateway" or "bridge" mode. This takes the authentication duties away from the modem & passes it down to the router.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts

Editingfx said:
You need to change the modem into "gateway" or "bridge" mode. This takes the authentication duties away from the modem & passes it down to the router.
yes, try this.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks, in particular 87FieroGT, that was exactly the info I needed. I'm now back on-line via the router.

Now to get the wireless part working...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts