A little extra security for the apartment door?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by BirdMan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Guys,

I just moved to a new apartment, and while it's in a fairly decent part of town, it's still an apartment, y'know? All I've got on the door is a deadbolt, which to my knowledge hasn't been changed since the previous tenants. I'd like to add a layer of protection to the door, one that can't be opened by the maintenance guys or management if they try to enter while I'm home, if I don't hear them (I've requested that they not come in when I'm not at home, but they're idiots). At a previous apartment I once lived in, I came out of the bedroom to find a maintenance man just letting himself inside, no knock or anything.

Are these Masterlock security bars any good?

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that I can't add anything permanent to the door, but I am going to request that the deadbolt be changed. How should I secure the door better? Also, how would you secure glass french doors onto the 2nd story balcony (currently only a deadbolt)?

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

A security bar, second deadbolt with no exterior action, chain or hasp, etc should work. You just want something to give you a few seconds warning even if somebody has a key and is really determined.

As far as the glass french doors, if somebody wants in, they are just going to throw a brick through. You'd need doors with hurricane or security ratings.

3. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

4. streetriots

streetriots Clueless

Regarding them changing the deadbolt. Management is always going to want a key for access to the apartment. I live in a small complex that is not owned by a company, but a private individual. He has it setup for pest control to come every 2nd thursday of the month. They have a master key to all of the apartments. So does the plumbing, electrical and appliance companies he has a contract with. The first month I lived here the Pest Control technician almost got drawn down on. I woke up to the sound of my doorbell. When I went to go see who it was the door was being unlocked.

5. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

^
    That's precisely what I want to avoid. 7 years ago when that maintenance guy came in unannounced with a key and surprised me, I didn't own a gun, and I probably took it better than I would today. (Later, I wondered if he was coming in to steal something and didn't think I was there; usually they hammer on the door and announce themselves, and he did nothing.)

Today, if I walked around a corner in my own apartment and there was someone I didn't know standing there, they'd likely be staring at a glock and talking very fast. I'm sure I'd be evicted at that point. And they'd be lucky, because Mississippi has a very forgiving castle doctrine. Oh, I hate living in an apartment!

Back on topic: are those bars any good / waste of money / or is there a better brand?

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I bought two of the Masterlock security bars a few years ago. Just be sure to kick them towards the door to get a good tight fit.

Also, I installed 3" screws in my strikeplates that go into the stud, and popped a few 3" screws into the hinges on the frame side.

A determined burglar can still get in my house, but it will take longer and make a lot more noise.

You can buy better and more expensive ones. It just depends on what makes you feel secure.

7. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

yes they work very well.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

If they will let you install it, Door Jamb Armor is amazing! :D :righton:

9. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

+1

10. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member