Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the May 2011 issue of Combat Handguns
(emphasis mine)
Those citizens, both salesmen and customers, who quibble about the cost of guns seem to have lost sight of an important element in the discussion. It is this: a firearm is a permanent possession. Unlike almost anything else you can name, a good gun which you acquired in your youth will last you throughout your lifetime and that of your child. Seen in that light, your personal firearm can hardly ever be "too expensive." A steak dinner is too expensive. A bottle of champagne is too expensive. An automobile is too expensive. A vacation cruise is too expensive. A pair of boots is too expensive. But not your gun. In a short time those other things will exist only in your memory, but if you take care of it your gun will be as good as it was the first day you touched it. That is the reason why the feeling we shooters have for our weapons approaches the mystic. Those other people do not understand this. We would explain it to them if they would listen.
:righton:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
That's a very good point. We still have quite a few firearms that belonged to my grandfather, and I hopefully plan to also pass them on to my children one day as well.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading that quote I thought to myself, "Maybe I won't get a Hi-point." :lol:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Xiclotl said:
from the May 2011 issue of Combat Handguns
(emphasis mine)
Those citizens, both salesmen and customers, who quibble about the cost of guns seem to have lost sight of an important element in the discussion. It is this: a firearm is a permanent possession. Unlike almost anything else you can name, a good gun which you acquired in your youth will last you throughout your lifetime and that of your child. Seen in that light, your personal firearm can hardly ever be "too expensive." A steak dinner is too expensive. A bottle of champagne is too expensive. An automobile is too expensive. A vacation cruise is too expensive. A pair of boots is too expensive. But not your gun. In a short time those other things will exist only in your memory, but if you take care of it your gun will be as good as it was the first day you touched it. That is the reason why the feeling we shooters have for our weapons approaches the mystic. Those other people do not understand this. We would explain it to them if they would listen.
:righton:
Unless it is confiscated for open carrying (disturbing the peace) or as a part of an investigation (should you ever have to use it)
or any number of other reasons that we have seen for being separated from your gun. You will get it back, someday, if it doesn't
get lost in the property room (assuming it made it there at all).

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
BG_Atl said:
Unless it is confiscated for open carrying (disturbing the peace) or as a part of an investigation (should you ever have to use it)
or any number of other reasons that we have seen for being separated from your gun. You will get it back, someday, if it doesn't
get lost in the property room (assuming it made it there at all).
I think its good advice that if you want a firearm to be passed on to your next generation, do not carry it for self-defense, maybe take it to the range every once and a while, but mainly let it sit in your safe and do not have it as your primary HD or self-defense weapon. Buy another weapon for that.

Its just too easy for you to be separated from your firearm these days. Also, don't have it somewhere it can be easily stolen from your home or vehicle.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
A couple more thoughtful Cooper quotes:

"It is interesting to hear certain kinds of people insist that the citizen cannot fight the government. This would have been news to the men of Lexington and Concord, as well as the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. The citizen most certainly can fight the government, and usually wins when he tries. Organized national armies are useful primarily for fighting against other organized national armies. When they try to fight against the people, they find themselves at a very serious disadvantage. If you will just look around at the state of the world today, you will see that the guerillero has the upper hand. Irregulars usually defeat regulars, providing they have the will. Such fighting is horrible to contemplate, but will continue to dominate brute strength."
Jeff Cooper

"This is the centennial of the great Model 94 Winchester, one of the outstanding artifacts of modern times. It is unsound to make the claim that any one instrument "won the West," but the 94 was the mainstay of the wilderness during the early years of the twentieth century, and in the days of my youth it was a rare household that did not contain one. This excellent weapon is still with us today, and rendering good service wherever it is found. It you do not own one, you should get one, and not only for the sake of sentiment. If the public scene turns nasty, as some say it may, you will be far better off with an M94 in 30-30 than you will be with an SKS, AK47, or an M16."
Jeff Cooper

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
All of the Cooper Comments are worth reading. Some are a bit dated, but still worth reading.

My favorite is the Bear Rules.

Remember then the Gunsite Bear Rules:
Be alert.
Remember that bears are not cuddly.
Never enter bear country without a powerful firearm and the skill to use it well.
Never camp on a bear thoroughfare.
Be alert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts