A German chick followed me home today...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gsusnake, Aug 7, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I got a "Certified Pre-Owned" Sig P229 today.

More details, pics, and range report coming shortly.

2. gsusnake

3. gsusnake

This firearm is a police trade-in that I got at Mission Essential in Hinesville.

I went in looking for either a Glock 22, a Springfield XD40, or something similar... I saw the P229 in the case, asked to see it, and fell in love at first grip.

I fired the rental at the range and loved it... the total cost with 2 mags, the pistol, a Blackhawk CQC, 50 rounds of Blazer, and 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger-T was $650.

I then drove to the WMA and put 100 rounds of Remington UMC, 50 rounds of Blazer, and 50 "old" rounds of Ranger-T downrange... it's accurate at 5, 10, 15, and 25 yards. Most accurate at 10 yards... I put a group of 10 rounds at 10 yards (of Ranger-T) all inside the X ring.

The recoil is extremely manageable, and the design of the pistol seems to channel the recoil straight back into the wrist/arm rather than up. The trigger action is smooth, and breaks cleanly somewhere around 11 pounds in DA and 5 in SA.

The pistol is easy to strip and clean. Even the normally nasty Blazer does not seem to have done much damage.

In short... I have a new best friend!

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

5. gsusnake

A couple questions for you Sig folks...

The 12-round mags are labeled "LE or Gov't use only." Can I, as a civilian, still use these? The shop didn't seem to have any problem selling them but I just wanna make sure. I know GA doesn't have mag capacity laws but I don't want some confused Crusader Cop busting me.

And... should I carry cocked and locked? I have one in the chamber but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the hammer back, especially with no manual safety. The first (DA) trigger pull is heavy, but bearable. I think I'd rather have the peace of mind in knowing that I have to pull the trigger kinda hard before the gun will go bang, but I dunno. I'll have to practice with it for a while both ways to see what I like. What do y'all think?

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You'll be fine with the L.E. mags. I think that just means hi cap. Not sure if they were used mags and made during the ban or what. My hi caps aren't marked LE, but I bought them new a few months ago.

7. misawa

misawa New Member

I didn't think a Sig 226/229/239 could be carried C&L? I thought they only had a decocker...? :-k

(No, I don't have one, but I have manhandled and shot a few)

8. gsusnake

There's a distinct possibility I'm misusing the term cocked and locked, as well.

9. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

Going shooting at Richmond hill and you didnt PM me?

Shame on you. :D

10. gsusnake

It was too damn hot to shoot out there anyway...

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

You'll be fine with the "LE" mags. During the ban, all hi-caps were marked this way. It's not illegal for you to possess a 12 round mag if it were not marked so you shouldn't have a problem. Besides, what would you be doing for anyone to see the marking where it could cause problems for you as well?

And you should be able to carry with it cocked in the Blackhawk. In any holster with a thumbbreak however it wouldn't work as the hammer would have to be down (at least that's what I found when I was a Sig owner myself).

Beautiful gun though and you didn't go wrong with it. Enjoy!

12. gsusnake

I'm thinking about putting one of these http://lasermax.binoculars.com/products ... -6682.html on it (internal Lasermax sight).

Any thoughts/experiences? I bought a "mainstream" gun (Glock, XD, Sig, 1911, etc.) rather than another Taurus partly so I could find all the neat little aftermarket parts I always wanted but were never made for the Taurus.

13. rajl

rajl New Member

Oh please, dear god, don't carry that Sig cocked. Their single action triggers are pretty light and there's no safety on the pistol (unlike a 1911 or a CZ), so you are ASKING for a negligent discharge.

14. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I had the internal Lasermax on mine and loved it.

And the trigger isn't much lighter than what my Glock 23 is. If you follow the 4 rules you should be fine.

I personally wouldn't carry it cocked, but to each his own.

15. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

That is was, however I would of sucked it up. I need to burn the rest of this 165gr ball I have left over anyway for my .40

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Heat doesn't really bother me that much anymore. Not after working Walmart garden center here in Statesboro last summer.

17. gsusnake

I ended up taking my shirt off, so it wouldn't get soaked.

TOO DAMN HOT.

18. gsusnake

I haven't been carrying cocked.

I put the gun in a Bianchi CarryLok for OWB OC and I freakin' LOVE IT!

I've gotta get the holster a little more broken in, but I get the feeling that even once I do, it'll be damn hard for anyone I don't want getting the gun to get the gun.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

nice gun!

when I get back to Statesboro (was supposed to leave today but now postponed to tomorrow) you, me, smith and rush gotta go shooting. All these new toys everyone is getting....gotta break 'em in.