A funny thing happened to me last week.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mc30707, Aug 28, 2007.

1. mc30707

mc30707 New Member

A funny thing happened to me last week. I have been carrying my 45 acp in the car. The car sits in an uncovered parking lot at work all day. I had the windows up and the temperature is getting up to 102-4°F. quite a bit hotter in the car. The gun was loaded with Federal Hydroshock HP's. I took the gun in the house and took the magazine out as I rotate mags weekly. I noticed that on 2 bullets the casing had expanded (presumably from the heat) and the bullets had partially fell into the casing. Anyone ever had this happen? The bullets are a few years old.

2. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

I've not had that happen to me, but it may be because your ammo is pretty old and the heat/cold has been affecting it. I rotate my carry ammo every six months, shooting what I have been carrying an replacing with fresh rounds.

3. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Do you leave the gun with a round chambered? If so, do you stick the chambered round back in the magazine and re-chamber it? If you do the bullet setback may be caused by this. You should be able to re-chamber a round quite a few times before this happens though. I would not shoot a setback round either.

4. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

If you did, you wouldn't like the result.

:lol:

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Ramm actually tested this...lemme find the thread...

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Setback

The problem with setback is you don't know the round has set back until you unload it. If you have a gun that sets the bullet back regularly it can do it the first time you load a round.

With low pressure loads I have fired rounds (.45 ACP) I have fired round with a heavy setback back before I knew better.

I hear .40 S&W have a real issue with this because of the high pressures and unsuported case head that are common in this round.

7. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

This behavior in materials is common. You experienced what we call in the engineering profession: CTE mismatch. CTE = coefficient of thermal expansion. Different materials expand & contract at different rates as a function of temperature. In this case the brass casing expanded sufficiently to allow the crimp on the bullets to lessen to the point where they could move around.

8. mc30707

mc30707 New Member

no, the rounds were in the magazine in my 1911 45 acp. first time its ever happened to me. I know they have been chambered in the past, but I seldom carry with a round in the chamber

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Re: Setback

Ever since the other thread regarding setback, I've paid close attention to rounds that I've unchambered. I haven't noticed any setback by just holding it beside a never-before-chambered round. My kids (mostly my oldest son) often ask to see our guns (The XD40SC is a favorite... must be the stainless slide) and I'm wondering if I should start marking the rounds that come out of the chamber.

Are S&W .40 rounds really more prone to setback than others?

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

:shock:

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

:bigshock:

12. ber950

ber950 Active Member

If you are not comfortable with a round in the chamber you should consider a revolver. Don't assume you will have two hand or the time to chamber a round.

13. mc30707

mc30707 New Member

If I carry on my person its always my Ruger SP101 357 in a Bianchi pancake holster. I prefer the revolver for CC. In the car I'll carry the semiautos occasionally. 8)

14. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Re: Setback

I don't think they're more prone to it. It's just a bit more dangerous, since the .40 is such a high-pressure load.