A Curfew??? What?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So I drove to work in Atlanta today. My wife calls me to say the county in which I live instituted a 5:00 p.m. curfew.

$1,000 fine and 60 days in jail.

I am not even sure I can reach my home by 5:00 even if I left the office now.

http://thecitizen.com/2018/01/17/newnan-coweta-county-impose-weather-related-curfew/

Coweta County and the City of Newnan have imposed a curfew extending from 5 p.m. on Wednesday until 10 a.m. on Thursday due to inclement weather conditions.

The curfew followed a state of emergency declared by Gov. Nathan Deal for Coweta and Fayette and 81 other counties associated with the winter storm and will result in a fine of $1,000 and up to 60 days in jail for violators.​

2. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

MP, they know what's best for you and your family. Why can't you just obey!?

:dtmb:

blind_shake and EJR914 like this.

3. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Enforceable?

EJR914 likes this.
  4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

60 days in jail for coming home after 5 pm... or for going across the street to borrow some microwave popcorn so you can have a "movie night" while snowed-in. No walking down the sidewalk to check on your neighbor when it looks like a tree has crashed through his roof-- you're not a full-time professional roofer or other repairman. No exception for you. Nor for your neighbor, who is forbidden from leaving his house and evacuating to your house, which still has power and heat.

What kind of sick bastard, or brainless excuse for a human, comes up with these penalties for minor county ordinance violations?

One time I read my county's smoking ordinance, and that lady at the Court Clerk's office who'd stand just outside the door and sneak a smoke 4X a day, every weekday, was looking at LIFE IN JAIL (over 80 years-- the law said that each and every smoke could be prosecuted separately with consecutive sentences).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    AtlPhilip likes this.
  5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Ridiculous. I’m essential personnel in the emergency/trauma unit at a level 1 trauma center. If I have to be out, I have to be out. F*** your curfew.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    EJR914 likes this.
  6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Language, dude.

And, the ordinance has exceptions for public safety and medical personnel, both private sector and government-service.

It even has exceptions for any home repairmen, roofers, tree service folks, who need to drive to clean up storm damage or make repairs from storm damage.

https://www.facebook.com/newnantimesherald/posts/10155511025357261

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Are the prosecutors exempt?

EJR914 likes this.
  8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The Sheriff implied it was only a "cautionary warning", so no real penalties, right?

Would city officials risk an uprising and losing votes by pummeling a person over a curfew?

EJR914 likes this.
  9. Malum Prohibitum

I was 6 minutes late for curfew . . . My wife called begging me to come home early and beat the curfew, because, she said, she was concerned my attitude would have me in a fight with some hapless deputy . . .

blind_shake and AtlPhilip like this.
  10. Malum Prohibitum

The drive to work this am was fun. Snow covered even the interstate. It was a nice drive.

Bill-Columbus likes this.
  11. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Why news crews and not people going to work?

12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Why not simply work from home or take a vacation day vs. risking a crash?

13. Malum Prohibitum

My work stuff was at the office . . .
    I am self employed. Vacation days are a path to poverty. As for risking a crash, I do not find the risk when I drive on snow is very high, and I find it enjoyable.

When I was military and when I was a police officer, snow was never an excuse. We had to report to work and do our duty, so I just never really changed my habit. Weather does not really change my plans.

blind_shake likes this.
  14. Mrs_Esterhouse

I don't doubt your ability to drive on snow. It's everyone else who can't that can total your car or put you in the hospital.

15. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Man, if they just set up checkpoints on I-85 NB & SB tonight and through 10AM, Coweta could make a killing. They might even be able to roll back your property taxes to nearly nothing.

16. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Call the Sheriff and report yourself... let's see if their bite matches hteir
    whiney barks.

17. Mrs_Esterhouse

He admitted to breaking the law on a public message forum.
    [-X

EJR914 likes this.
  18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

A lawyer.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  19. Malum Prohibitum

The Sheriff came out and said he interprets the curfew as advisory and asked the citizens to exercise caution. I take that as "no enforcement."

I am still angry at whoever made the decision to enact a curfew, and I would like to get to the bottom of it.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  20. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I am interested in why, if conditions are that bad why is the news exempt.