A Coyote Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Schweisshund, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I figured it has been a while since we have had one of these types of discussions. I know it was discussed, here and there, and coyotes was the sole reason I ever joined this forum.

So, I am part of the AR stripped lower group buy, and the sole reason and purpose I had of purchasing an AR15 stripped lower, is because I want to build a very specifically oriented firearm designed to hunt the Eastern Coyote. Yes, the same beast that is responsible for the dwindling deer herd in our beloved State:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro ... deer-herds

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=3045&cid=93

http://www.buckmasters.com/georgia-to-s ... ation.aspx

Several years ago, I contacted a coyote hunting "expert" - literally, he wrote the book on hunting coyotes. He gave me several tips, which went straight over my very inexperienced head, that I am finally able to grasp with a firm understanding now. :oops:

I contacted him again about the AR15 build and I was very surprised to find out he authored several articles for Predator Xtreme. In any case, here is what he had to say about the AR15 in regards to hunting coyote:

So, the .223 is a great round for coyote hunting? I never even knew ... :cantsay: And a hi-capacity magazine is perfect for dens of 15+++ (I heard it "rumored" that one off of Sixes road in Canton had over 20 adults in the den)

2. LoneOak

LoneOak Proprietor LoneOakTerrace

I woudn't mind popping a couple rounds off toward their den, when are we going? What do we need to bring beside the rifle and some ammo?

3. Schweisshund

I am still learning the ropes ; I would love to go with you and gunsmoker if we can all get together :D

Here is Dr. Charles Shawley's website (the person I have been emailing):

http://www.scienceofthehunt.com/

He doesn't seem to mind answering questions by e-mail - a very friendly person :righton:

Apparently, there is a science behind ghillie suits and scent covers.

4. Fenris

Fenris New Member

I've been hunting coyote in Central Georgia for six years. While I don't consider myself an "expert" on coyote hunting, I've killed enough to learn a good bit over the years. I use a New England Firearms single shot .223 with a bull barrel, a foxpro electronic caller, wildlife technologies red led light systems, decoys, etc. I'm in agreement that the .223 round is perfect for killing yotes as most of the fur here in Georgia isn't "prime" anyway. The only thing about this post that I find "insane" are the quotes of coyote dens holding upwards of 15 - 20 coyotes. The ONLY time that coyotes take to the den are when a female is with pups. Coyotes do not travel in "packs", but rather family groups while the pups are learning how to hunt as they are growing up. Mated coyotes are territorial and the idea that they travel and den with other coyotes (up to 20) just isn't true.

5. Schweisshund

I am no expert either ;) and like I said, it was a rumor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote

Where I used to live (off of Knox Bridge Highway) I observed 12-14 coyotes running around a soccer field on school property one evening. The school's soccer field was literally my back yard. that was back when I was practicing calls. I had downloaded coyote calls to a CD and my neighbor played it using loudspeakers.

They went crazy.

6. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I used to shoot coyotes with a .22 magnum JHP. A .223 with the right bullet would be acceptable.

A larger round would do more damage and ensure the coyote's wound is mortal. I used to use .30-06 and not care about the pelt. You do not want to use a FMJ projectile, no matter the cartridge.

7. g35

g35 Great American peckerwood

Deer guts, SS-109, spotlight, a few friends, your favorite EBR's.

Let the killings begin.

8. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

The only yote I ever got was w/ a .223 50gr hollow-point out a 1:9 twist 16" barrel. (the shot was only about 60yds though)

Fell back into a creek and that's as far as it made it.

.223 worked quite well for me.

9. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I live off of Sixes and my neighbor saw a few coyotes a little over a year ago running through our yards. :rifle:

10. LoneOak

LoneOak Proprietor LoneOakTerrace

What are the laws reguarding hunting coyotes? How, when, where, how many, disposal, license requirement etc etc etc!!

11. Schweisshund

Last I checked it is open season year round with no bag limit. Checking to see which (if any) license is needed.

DNR pdf. fact sheet:

http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/defaul ... 0Sheet.pdf
    I just checked the regulations - coyote is considered small game - so getting a small game license applies. It is open season year round - no limit - so I wonder if I can hunt on WMA property with a WMA permit (which I have). Also, electronic calls are permitted for coyote. (page 29 http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/ ... HD_LR1.pdf )

So, I *think* you need a general hunt license, a WMA license and a small game license to hunt on a WMA - but you do not need the WMA license to hunt on private land.

I am still left wondering if you can legally hunt at night with a NV scope and silencer ... probably not (coyote are nocturnal)

12. Fenris

Fenris New Member

Here in Georgia, you can hunt yotes year round with no bag limit. Day or night hunting is allowed. No specs on a firearm as they are considered a varmint, which means anything goes. You are permitted to use lights and electronic calls. I've picked up quite a few tracts to hunt simply because many farmers and hunting clubs want the coyotes taken out. UGA completed a study indicating that yotes are killing up to 80% of the new born fawns that are born, not to mention really starting to put a hurt on our turkey population. The problem with WMAs is that most that I've seen don't allow hunting at night. Hence the need to put our feelers to local land owners. I've made up business cards to post at feed stores and such that indicate my desire to hunt only coyote emphasized by the statement "Your Deer Are Safe". Anyone that lives in the Central Georgia area (Washington, Hancock, Baldwin, Wilkinson and Putnam counties that would like to go, let me know. I'll call the yotes in and you can shoot.

13. Schweisshund

That sounds fun and educational, I may just make a trip for that occassion ;) It could be a while though - I have to build my AR first. The only other options I have to hunt with right now are a Mosin Nagant (in process of getting a scope) a 7mm Mag and a 12 gauge shotgun. I don't think those would work too well.

14. Schweisshund

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/opinion/sa ... ash/nFzZT/

:roll:

Anyways .... I saw a German Shepherd sized Coyote off the exit ramp at Towne Lake Pkwy on 575 about 11:30 p.m. February 19. 2013. There has to be a den between there and Bells Ferry.

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:applause: Yes! :righton:

16. Match10

Match10 Active Member

There are multiple coyote dens around these parts.... My wife sees several coyotes on her way home from work at midnight below 92 on 575. I always see two or three on Hawkins Store Road at night and at Booth and Bells Ferry. I have even seen a lone one at Shiloh and Bells Ferry. In fact, I have seen coyotes in our own front yard near the fire station.

Several months ago there was a large female coyote dead just below 575 on Bells Ferry. Everybody was talking about it and said she got hit. Yeah, she got hit with a 158 grain something. At least that was my 'impression' of it.

There are fox at 575 and Barrett Pkwy, as I have seen them take feral cats. Also over at Blackwell School on Canton.

There is a coyote den you can see from Heck Road (at least you used to be able to see it) where there used to be a house that was torn down when they were going to put in a townhome devlopement between Heck and 575 in the triangle strip. I looked over one day while walking and a siren went by... A momma and her pups were sitting there howling!

All the misguided folks who place their "Lost Fluffy" and "Lost Fifi" on sign poles around here really have no idea they should be looking for coyote poop by the time they place their signs. I know of two people who have had yapping dogs taken while being walked on a leash.

17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've got yotes running around all over the place around my property. The farmers around catch the devil with them. If we see one, and its a good shot, you can bet he's going down.

18. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

Sorry to revive this thread.
    My parent's dog just had to be put down from injuries from a coyote. A little dachshund mix about 14 years old. They live around the Anderson SC area.

There never seemed to be any coyotes around that area until recently. I think that the property owners across the road might be somewhat at fault. Their land has been pretty much open fields until they recently fenced it in. That may have funneled the coyotes onto my parent's land.

At least the coyote at fault may be gone, he was hit by a car in the road last week and decided to die on my parent's land.

My boss's father has land about 15 miles south of there and they recently had problems with losing cats to the coyotes.

19. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I'd like to go hunting for c'yotes. Let me know a couple weeks in advance so I can take a couple of days off work to have a long weekend. I'd like to take them with my 9mm CZ.

20. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

We have a pack of Coyotes that are living in my area. My next door neighbor thinks they are denned up on the mountain behind me. I will secure the necessary permission to hunt if anyone wants to come up here and kill them. We have more of them every year and this year, we have heard them in our yard. Between them and the bear, I am thinking of carrying the .44 more around the house.

John