A couple of questions

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by dont_tread_on_me, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Hey all, first post here @ GPDO so I hope this is in the right place. My first renewal is fast approaching and I have a couple of questions: 1) has Dekalb gone may issue since the appellate court case? I see Dekalb listed as a trouble spot on the licensing info page. Is anyone issuing temps now that this decision has come down? 2) I have the option to renew in Fulton because I am moving - is this a better option? What is the law concerning the address on the GFL and when it has to be changed if you move? I guess finally, do I need to be printed again? I don't think so but...

Thanks all, great to see that GPDO has picked up where packing.org left off.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

"Shall Issue" is a statewide thing, I do believe.

I'd just wait and renew in Fulton once you move. I'm not sure about any law, but I've heard a few times of people having trouble when using their GFL in lieu of a NICS check when buying a gun and the stores are sometimes finicky about the GFL and DL addresses not matching.

Welcome, by the way. Have you checked out GCO, yet?

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Like Smith said above, "shall issue" is statewide and has been for years. The guns laws are uniform throught the entire state of GA, DeKalb in no different than Jeff Davis County. A GFL issued in one GA county is good in every GA county.

You do not have to change your address on the GFL if you move. However, when you do renew you have to apply in the county that you live in. I think if you just want to correct the address you can have them do it for a small fee, probably as you wait.

Oh and....

:welcome:

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

When he says may issue, I think me means in practice, since not all of the judges issue within 60 days and the GASC is going to let that slide.

5. that's right budder - my interpretation of no 60 day limit is that judges can sit on applications as long as they want, effectively making the state 'may-issue'.

6. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Not really. The 60 day statute wasn't thrown out by the court. The court only said that portion of the statute could be overlooked if it was because of a necessary part of the vetting process.

I would imagine that while a probate judge who wanted to do so could drag out the process for six months or so, it would be difficult to show just cause for going too far beyond that timeline.

Or you could do as I have done and other members on this board have done. Track where your application is in the investigatory process. Then when you talk to the court and they try to feed you a line of bs like they did me, you can politely explain to them that you have already spoken with everyone else in the process and that they are now the only entity left and that all that is required by them is to sign the license.

Once I shut the Walton probate court down when they tried to lie to me I got my license within a few days of my last phone call. Keep in mind, they kept telling me 4-6 months as well, although by tracking where my fingerprint card was at I was able to tell them when they had the processed background information and ended up getting my license within the statutory limit.

7. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Oh, and welcome :)