A boy dies, and a gun debate is reignited

Discussion in 'In the News' started by jgullock, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Boo hoo, I've been sobbing since I read this. :cry: Not. :D

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindeal ... xml&coll=2

Holdup victim had concealed-carry permit
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007
    Damian G. Guevara and Patrick O'DonnellPlain Dealer Reporters

Damon Wells is the man gun supporters were imagining when they fought for the right to carry concealed weapons.

He had a permit to carry his gun, and he had the gun on him when a pair of teenage thieves approached him Saturday night on his front porch in Cleveland.

When one of the youths pulled a gun, Wells drew his and shot one of the boys several times in the chest, police said. Arthur Buford, 15, died after stumbling away and collapsing on a sidewalk near East 134th Street and Kinsman Road.

City prosecutors decided Monday that Wells, 25, was justified and would not be charged for what appears to be the first time a concealed-carry permit holder has shot and killed an attacker.

Nonetheless, the shooting reignited the debate that flared three years ago when Ohio's concealed-carry law took effect.

Gun supporters said the weapon saved Wells' life. Opponents said it took Buford's - that the 15-year-old might be alive if a citizen had not been armed.

An angry throng of about 30 youths gathered Monday and set up a memorial at the intersection where Buford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School, died.

His cousin, Tameka Foster, 21, questioned why police did not punish Buford's shooter.

"They let that man run out freely," Foster said. "My cousin is dead."

Buford's accomplice disappeared after the shooting and had not been caught as of Monday night. Police found a .38-caliber handgun in the mail chute of a nearby house. They believe it belonged to Buford or the other suspect, Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Police took a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson firearm from Wells as evidence, the police report shows.

Both sides of the gun debate said it was sad that a teenager died.

"It's tragic," said Jim Irvine, chairman of the Buckeye Firearms Association. "Anytime somebody dies, it's tragic, but it's hard to have any sympathy when he chose to have a gun and go threaten somebody's life."

Irvine said it was "great that a potential victim is able to continue his life instead of having a criminal take it."

Toby Hoover, of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, said she had not heard of any other fatal shooting involving a concealed-carry permit holder.

"This is one of the few where they actually used it to stop a crime," Hoover said.

But, she said, "there's still a dead kid here."

A man who answered a phone number for Wells refused to comment and hung up. No one answered the door at Wells' home.

Plain Dealer reporters Jesse Tinsley and Brie Zeltner and researcher Cheryl Diamond contributed to this story.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I really get irritated when I hear crap like he shot my cousin or my brother or whatever. Lets see, 2 youths up to no good. Pull a gun on a man enjoying his day on his porch. After one of the youths pulls a gun and points it at the owner of the home, the owner protects himself.

What a load of crap! That couisn, brother or whatever was a friggin criminal you idiot! Oh wait, thats little tony or whatever his name is. He could never do such a thing, not my child.

Whatever, its like somebody watching a person commit a crime then blaming the person who was protecting themself from such crime. :soapbox:

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Your cousin is a criminal and threatened someones life you moron. I would have done the same damn thing. Why are people so stupid??

4. Sharky

Sharky New Member

my only thought is if the family is composed of criminals, criminal behavior is accepted or ignored. Lawful actions and behavior are not acknowleged and not taken seriously until it happens to them. even then, a horse with blinders on can see more than they do!

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

The sad part is there is no cure for stupid.

6. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

hmmm, they are lucky the other one ran away! Honestly you couldn't ask for a more clear cut self defense case!

and if the kids had gotten away with it they would have done it again.

7. merlock

merlock New Member

This sums up my feelings: :-({|=

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, at least now we know what their real position is on the issues. The anti-gunners want us dead.

9. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

+1x10^6,492,048

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Moral of the story: don't steal from people that carry guns.

More oxygen for me now.

11. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

His gun did just what it was bought and carried for. That boy would still be alive if he did not ignor the laws.

12. Foul

Foul New Member

No child was killed.

An animal was, a predator was, a parasite was.

A CHILD would not commit these crimes. As soon as you take that step into the dark underworld of armed robbery, you loose not only your childhood, but your humanity.

Bravo! One less animal to feed and cloth for years on end.

13. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

he got what he disearved....yep its sad but he's old enought to know right from wrong and he paid for his choice......I cant see how people take the side of a POS maggot like that.....

14. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

The 15 year old criminal might be alive, but a law abiding citizen might be dead!!!! :cry:

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think that is the point. These people would prefer that the law abiding die in crimes rather than defend themselves.

They really do want us dead.

What does that say?

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

That is real comforting to know. Although I am not :shock:

17. Macktee

Macktee New Member

If only the guy on the porch had done as "the child" requested, this horrible event would never have happened.

So, the reality is, it's all his fault.

So why is "the child" dead and this monster still walking the streets?

There is no justice! This cold-blooded killer is walking free, and almost certainly, with a gun in his pocket... Has this man no conscience? Is he looking for more "children" to murder?

Why do people think their property is more important than the life of "a child"?

"Sweet little Arthur was such a good boy."

"He was never in any "serious" trouble." Well, not really serious...

"Why did that evil man have to kill him?"

"If only he had given poor, misunderstood, little Arthur his money, this never would have happened."

"It's criminal!"

"That man is an animal!"

"He killed my child!"

"Why is he still free while this poor 'child' is dead?"

"There is no justice!"

NO JUSTICE! NO PEACE!

Or, maybe it's:

NO PEACE! NO JUSTICE!

I know it's something like that...

Whatever, I think that pretty well covers it...

I'll never understand people who can't seem to understand that stealing, especially at gun point, is wrong!

If you want something, get off your lazy ass and work for it like the rest of us.

If we didn't work hard enough, we probably couldn't afford everything we wanted. But, that's no excuse for stealing from people who do have those things. Which is why we didn't do it. This little punk did attempt to steal what he was too lazy or too stupid or too ignorant to hold a job that would pay for it. So, he got his ass shot as a result. As far as I'm concerned, killing him simply made the world a slightly better place to live for the rest of us, and that's a good thing.

Of course, that's just my opinion.............

For what's it worth...

if anything.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Don't tell netadminwithgun that. ;)

19. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Looks to me like the debate is over. CCW and Castle laws work and are good for law-abiding citizens.