9mm : mixed ammo question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kestak, Apr 20, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I am no expert in ammo but here is a question that someone may be able to answer:

I read at some places, you should use fragmented/HP ammo in house to avoid over penetration and getting the best impact in the opponent body. At some other places, I read it may be situations where you have to fire through a door or a wall.

Anyone thought about loading the magazine with 1 FMJ, 1 HP, 1FMJ, 1 HP... so you have both of both world?

Thank you

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

First welcome to GPDO !!! :welcome:

Personally, I'm not going to take a shot if I have to fire through a door a wall. Unless I have a target in my sights, that I can plainly tell is hostile, and the area around him/her is clear of innocents, I'm not going to shoot. If there is a wall or a door between us, how can I aim? How can I claim a legitimate threat? Just this week, a man shot and killed his wife, thinking that she was a burglar. Through a door or wall, I can't be sure of my target.

3. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Just to clarify: It is quite a rethorical question. I am not at all trying to do a "jack Bauer" (Remember when he shot the FBI assassin last year through the wall?) at all.

On the other hand, it may not be impossible a bad guys gets into my home and begin to shot through the door where my familly and I are barricaded wiating for the cops... I am a fervent of the coward rules : Flee, if you can't, barricade, if you can't, shot for the body mass. hehehe

Thank you

4. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Fragmented ammo such Glasier point ammo works great for indoors from what I have read....I have the first 3 loaded that way..The rest are JHP hydrashock....

I am sure they may be a situation where shooting through a door or a wall may be justified, I just havn't thought of one yet because you CANNOT 100% IDENTIFY OUR TARGET , unless it's a clear glass pane door....

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No. No FMJ for carry weapons other than range use.

I am responsible for every round I put down range. In the heat of a gun fight I am not going to remember "ok...next one is a FMJ round." after I pull the trigger a few times.

If you feel the need to carry FMJ rounds get a spare mag for it. But mixing it in a carry weapon is a very very poor choice.

6. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

So, you recommend HP or frag only loaded in the magazine. right?

And why no FMJ for home defense? I am curious.

Thank you

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yes, I exclusively recommend hollow points over fragmenting rounds because I want the bullet to retain its full weight. Especially for a 9mm round.

9mm FMJ rounds are more of a liability. Overpenetration is a real possibility for them so I want whatever I shoot to keep the bullet. Besides, if we are talking about shooting a human you want to create the largest wound as possible. FMJ make only makes a small hole. FMJ expands.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

If you shoot someone with 9mm FMJ round then be prepared to have to shoot them many, many times. That is the complaint that many of our boys in uniform have had for some time with the 9mm. FMJ rounds also overpenetrate and you don't want to have that in any defensive shooting if you can help it. You don't want a round to pass through and hit a loved one or an innocent bystander.

In order for the 9mm to be a good manstopper, and it is with proper ammo, is to keep it well stocked with normal or +p HP ammo in the 115-127 grain range.

9. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I am using Remington UMC 115 JHP 115 gr. I never tried +P in my handgun.

Thank you

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

That load should be fine. +P is more of personal preference. You don't have to have it, but it adds a little more to bullet performance. It can also wear you gun out early so I wouldn't shoot thousands of +P rounds through your gun.

BTW: What do you carry?

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I use standard pressure 147 grain jhp rounds.

I believe 9 is fine, but if HP was banned I would make a .45 my carry gun the next day.

12. peashooter

peashooter New Member

Remington UMC 115 JHP 115 gr this is what i will carry as soon as my GFL gets here. I got it at walmart for 19.26 for 100 round box today. I don't kinow if this is a really good price or not but i thought it was.