Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2nd question is regarding a 9mm carry pistol. I am trying to find a few models for my wife to consider. She held a couple newer models, but didn't like the feel of the lightweight polymer ones.
Thought about the Beretta M9, Ruger Security/American, and the S&W MP/Shield.
Any other models I could keep an eye out for in the $500ish or below range?
Thanks!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,438 Posts
The Beretta M9 (or model 92 or 99 in the older civilian designation) is a huge pistol which has a grip as thick as a fence post.

I do not think it would work for a woman unless she's got man hands and can palm a basketball.

What you would probably find the best fit for her would be a medium sized 9 mm with about a 4 inch barrel that uses double column magazines (12-15 round capacity) but does not have any separate grip panels that bolt to the frame. Rather, you grab the polymer frame material itself.

There are many guns that fit this general description. I would take her to a gun show and let her handle 30 different makes and models. Have a notebook and make some notes about what she likes and doesn't like.

Then when you've narrowed it down to maybe three top choices, find an indoor shooting range that rents guns and rent those models for a live fire practice session.

Reactions: GeorgiaVOL

·
Super Moderator
7,139 Posts
This is a pretty wide open question... It depends. If she's looking for a carry pistol I'd ask:

1) What kind of build does she have?
Reason: If she's truly looking for a carry pistol but is petite woman, a Beretta M9 for example is a fairly large pistol.
So is the Ruger Security/American.

2) Is she planning on carrying open or concealed?
Reason: See above. A full sized pistol will be harder to conceal.

I'm slightly confused as you said she doesn't like the lightweight polymer framed models but are considering the Shield which is one of those models.

If she prefers an all metal gun there is the Sig P938, but it's above the price range you listed but is REALLY small.

You could see if you can find a CZ75 compact model, they are closer too that price point and all metal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We do plan on looking at as many as we can find. She mentioned wanting a belt clip and she is more fond of the larger 9mm handguns, had one before we met many years ago.
I couldn't remember what the security was like, might be one that she already looked at.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,438 Posts
This is a pretty wide open question... It depends. If she's looking for a carry pistol I'd ask:

1) What kind of build does she have?
Reason: If she's truly looking for a carry pistol but is petite woman, a Beretta M9 for example is a fairly large pistol.

So is The Ruger Security / American.

The Ruger Security-9 is the same size and weight as a Glock 19. Not too heavy.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,043 Posts
Remington R-51. First release was junk but things got fixed. All Metal frame (no plastic), solid, reliable, slender, light, shoots well, grip safety.

Safety disengages when held properly. That is key. It has a safety and does not rely on long trigger pull for that. Its my EDC when I need best concealment. When puffiness is fine its a Springfield 1911.

Nemo

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,196 Posts
To get away from plastic I would suggest the CZ 2075 Rami. Looks exactly like the CZ 75 B but is much smaller. It's all steel but is lightweight enough for most people (male or female) of average build to carry. My wife alternates between the Ruger P93 which has an alloy frame and the CZ Rami.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,690 Posts
I do not think highly of the R51; it's okay to shoot, but much too difficult to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning, IMO.

She might consider the P365XL 9mm; smaller and lighter gun, similar size to the Shield, but with 10 or 12 round magazine. Another good candidate is the S&W Shield 9 Plus, their newer Shield with a 13 round magazine. Another popular alternative to the Shield is the Glock 43X.

For a slightly larger gun, she might consider the Glock 19 Gen 5, or the S&W M&P 9 Compact 2.0, or the sub compact version of the M&P 9 2.0 (12 round mag). Along the same lines, she can look at the CZ P-10 C.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,043 Posts
I do not think highly of the R51; it's okay to shoot, but much too difficult to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning, IMO.
That can be a problem. But the difficulty is part of the fun of it.

Nemo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at the Beretta M9 last night on my way home. I liked it. Not saying she will though.
Maybe I can steer her towards it and if she ends up not liking it we can get her something else and I can have a new gun. Lol

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,196 Posts
The M9 is a large gun but is very well made. Maybe a little too large for purse carry and concealed carry but open carry can be comfortable. You will probably want to consider something more compact for purse or concealed.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,196 Posts
Still the 92X is a large firearm. I myself prefer the large firearms for carry but not everyone open carries as I do. If you really like the Beretta's and want something more compact check out the 92G Elite Compact.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,570 Posts
I would recommend the CZ P-01 (all metal) or if you want a convertible polymer (can change between de-cocker and safety setup) then the CZ P-07 . These are both hammer fired models. CZ does produce a striker fire P-10 but I prefer there hammer style firearms which are damn reliable and CZ has been around forever with a great track record of quality firearms..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts