92 Year Old Atlanta Woman Shot Dead by Police

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"A 92 year old woman was killed after she shot three Atlanta narcotics officers when they broke down the front door of her home trying to serve a search warrant . . ."

They were not in uniform.

Link to Story

2. Malum Prohibitum

Another news story, this one from a local TV station.

3. misawa

misawa New Member

Didn't know, or didn't want to know? How hard could it be for someone at his level to find out who was listed on the warrant? Also found it interesting how there was no mention of drugs found in the house or stockpiles of weapons or large amounts of cash or even just general "paraphenalia." Seems to me if they actually found something, they would be falling all over themselves to get it in front of a camera.

Maybe there are other options, but me thinks either the wrong address was submitted for the warrant or not enough investigating was done. Either way, it's sad.

4. Malum Prohibitum

And this report says she "had a permit" for the gun! :roll:

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I saw this last night. How sad to live 92 years, then be shot by cops for what will most likely be a mistake. Can family have any recourse in a case like this?

It was interesting to note that 11Alive had the headline, "Police shot and wounded", while the AJC had "92 year old shot by police". Both are true of course, but I think the AJC has it right.

6. blare

blare New Member

Can you blame her for firing? If you watch the video it shows one officer dressed in all black and wearing a black ski mask :shock: . And wasn't it just last month somebody posing as a FBI agent shot a homeowner? I think that these forced entry tactics might have just taken the life of a little old lady. We will just have to wait and see.

7. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

How sad. I hope the truth eventually comes out.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

That lady was clearly a threat to the community at large. She was shooting at police officers ferchrissake!

Chalk up another victory for the drug warriors.

Maybe the officers will get medals from the city for their bravery like these thugs: http://www.theagitator.com/archives/027241.php

9. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Evidence

Because of the nature of this incident we should not jump to conclusions on either side of the fence. I am very pro leo and if fired upon then there will be return fire. However in this case we should see all the evidence from both sides before we condem or consoule. I am saddened that there was loss of life and angered that judgement has been rendered and yes I beleive that the race card will be heavily used by the brain dead who; thats all they look for. Lets continue to be mindful that both the officers and the relatives have to live with the findings for the rest of their lives.

I think we all new that this type of tragidy would occure sooner or later with the no-knock warrents.
    My $.02 woth.
    TJ :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

10. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Re: Evidence

I don't think any one of us has critized the leos for making the shot once they were in the house being fired upon. When you are being shot at you should fire back. Most of us are critical that they were in the house at all. This is what comes of no-knock warrants and plain-clothes cops. This tragedy never would've happened had the police officers simply come to the house in uniform and knocked on the door and talked to the lady.

No amount of drug confiscation is worth tactics like these that assume you're guilty and treat you as such. The scary thing is, if that would've been my house they had a tip on it would've been me dead. Any reasonable person who has strangers kicking in their door while yelling will try to defend themselves. I don't see how this no-knock approach is making the police or the suspects any safer than a proper knock and talk method.

11. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Based on this story and others like it I think I may start contacting my state reps and senators to push to outlaw no-knock warrants in all but the most dangerous of situations. I'm not sure what the answer is but allowing police officers to invade homes with no real notification is not it.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Guys, all the information at this point says that they were at the address listed on the warrant and that they did "knock and announce."

13. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: Evidence

The conclusion is that these types of tactics should NEVER be used against non-violent suspects and certainly not based solely on a "tip" from a CI.

Here's a great example of what happens when everything goes according to plan: http://www.theagitator.com/archives/027165.php

A tip from a CI triggered a SWAT raid that ended with a family's dog dead, their house set on fire and two joints confiscated.

Absolutely rediculous.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

One big problem is that courts have ruled that if drugs are involved, then they can assume the person is armed, so then they are justified in using no-knock.

Yeah, no need to show that they are armed and dangerous anymore, all you need is a tip that drugs are there and you can assume the rest.

15. Malum Prohibitum

This was not a no-knock!

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have met a few 80+ year old women, and they have ALL been hard of hearing.

So unless they were yelling POLICE repeatedly and loudly as they entered and searched, then it probably was a no-knock as far as the elderly lady was concerned.

As far as I am concerned a no-knock means the person or persons inside the dwelling does not hear the warning. (as in hard of hearing or watching a surround sound movie or whispering police and lightly tapping on the door before busting in)

17. wwomack

wwomack New Member

That is not what WSB reported. See the quote below.

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I think it is the reverse of "If you have done nothing wrong or nothing to hide then you should not have a problem with it or nothing to hide."

The fact is that If you have done nothing wrong or nothing to hide then you expect the only people who would have reason to break in is a criminal. So the police enter expecting criminals and the homeowner expects that someone breaking into their home is a criminal. Nothing but bad can come of that.

19. Malum Prohibitum

The news story in the link in the original post has been updated with a lot more information now, including the fact that police are now saying there were drugs found in the residence and that they had made a previous buy at the residence.

Also, she hit one of the three officers three times. They were not in uniform but had "POLICE" on their vests.

The wsb TV link has also been updated with more info. It did not say that when I posted the link. :oops: