911 is a Joke!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"She was trying to call 911 on her cell phone when the taunts began, but kept getting busy signals. She tried three times to call, she said, but never got through to an operator.

The suspects also began to gradually separate the girls . . ."

Article Link Here

In Georgia, this would be a public gathering, so you would have been disarmed, too.

2. blare

blare New Member

freakin sickening.....

3. Foul

Foul New Member

Ignorance has no color boundries . An animal is an animal, no matter what the color the coat is.

4. flyin929

flyin929 New Member

I used to live off PCH and Locust (near 14th) which is fairly near where it happened. I've been jumped down there. Some of the folks down there are a little rough around the edges and will attack without provocation, I will never live in that type of area again.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

What was the public gathering, the Halloween block party or the mob beating? :shattered:

Does the event have to be lawful to be a public gathering?

6. Taler

Taler New Member

Hey Flyin,

Ever been to Joe Jost's?

Taler

7. Malum Prohibitum

Even after reality hits them in the eye, some people will STILL tell you to rely on 911 and the police. Here are the published comments of a councilwoman about this incident.

In her November 8, 2006 piece in the Long Beach Press-Telegram, Councilwoman Rae Gabelich encourages readers to ‘Trust the process and know that the safety of all Long Beach citizens is our No. 1 priority.’

In remarking on future incidents, the Councilwoman urged citizens to “Call the Police and…Let the police decide if it is of a significant nature.“

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2006/11/15/911 ... -congress/

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I know these things happen all over the country but I will say one thing. TV isnt helping things much. The past couple of weeks I have noticed that certain television programs are showing scenarios such as these. Boys and girls in Mobs beating the hell out of somebody. Even the school shootings, I wonder where the criminals are getting these ideas! Or better yet maybe hollywood using the events of crime to fuel their stories. Either way seems tragedy makes the best story these days. Yeah my fiance watches all the weekday shows........So I get to as well.

Sorry to rant, just bothers the heck out of me the direction society is headed in. I would love to know if there are any circumstances in which a good samaritan legally armed came to the rescue in a situation like this in GA. How did the responding officers treat the good samaritan? Of course driving up on a scene like this who is really the bad guy? I remember a few posts somewhere regarding a smaller group where the bad guy was being beaten by the victim and a witness. Just makes you think. However this situation seems more clear.

My fiance used to ask why the heck do I leave a loaded magazine in the truck and someties carry one on my person in addition to the fully loaded pistol!

Times like these just reinforce my decision to be a bit over prepared.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Well, if you go to something like this in Georgia where a riot is going on, you get arrested for carrying a deadly weapon to a public gathering. I will quote ICP Juggalo's summary of Wynne v. State:

That was pretty much the same premise for Wynne Vs. The State (1905). The defendant had left his shotgun for hunting rabbits at a friends house the previous night. On the day of the 4th of July public BBQ he went back to his friend's house to get his shotgun, He claims that he had no idea that the public BBQ was being held some 40 - 50 yards away from his friends house. When he got to his friends house to get his shotgun to go rabbit hunting, a riot had broken out at the public BBQ 50 yards away from the house. The defendant grabbed his shotgun and started walking towards the crowd where the riot and public gathering were taking place. It was there that he was busted for carrying a deadly weapon to a public gathering. Later in court he contested that he was not attending the public gathering and that he had no part and didn't want any part in the BBQ or the riot. He claims he was just getting his shotgun from his friend's house that he "accidently" left there the previous night. It just happened the direction he was walking in to get on his way home was in the direction of the public BBQ/riot.

Now, you will probably have the excuse of emergency as a defense, but remember that you lose your immunity (civil and criminal) at a public gathering, since the General Assembly, in passing our "Stand Your Ground Law," applied immunity only to those who are lawfully in possession of a firearm and in a place where they can lawfully carry the firearm.

So, if you shoot - you are open to lawsuits and criminal charges. You may eventually win, if you were justified, but you cannot argue immunity to dispose of either type of case in the early stages.

You might still be stuck with the carrying at a public gathering charge, unless the emergency made you bring it there (I live nearby and I saw the attack, so I grabbed my gun and went out of the house . . .). As a result of conviction, you will lose your ability to get a GFL for three years after you get off probation or any other criminal justice supervision.

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Man thats soooo messed up.

Well I will have to get more involved and help out. Letters to the people that can help make changes.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Citation and Some Quotes

Under "Public Gatherings" we must add a barbecue on the 4th of July, under the authority of:

Wynne v. State, 123 Ga. 566 (1905)

In which it is stated:

A barbecue on the 4th of July, at which people are assembled to the number of 400 or 500, is a "public gathering," . . .

The court further describes the gathering as follows:

On July 4, 1904, there was a public barbecue at Hillman, in Taliaferro county, at which negroes and some white people gathered, to the number of some 400 or 500.

And the holding: A barbecue on the 4th of July, at which the public is assembled in considerable numbers, constitutes a public gathering within the meaning of the statute.

12. Malum Prohibitum

This ought to be national news.

13. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Malum, I am glad you bring up this point. There are actually 3 seperate cases where this was brought up and the courts ruled in their favor when they were carrying a concealed weapon or carrying a without a license. Would the same case law apply to a public gathering? I dunno, but I will briefly post what Lexis has to say on the matter and let you decide.

Acquiring pistol in emergency for self-defense does not violate section. - Where one suddenly, upon an emergency, acquires manual possession of a pistol for purpose of defending oneself, one's family, or one's property, one is not guilty of carrying a pistol without a license in violation of this section. Harris v. State, 15 Ga. App. 315, 85 S.E. 813 (1914) (decided under Ga. L. 1910, p. 134, § 1); Caldwell v. State, 58 Ga. App. 408, 198 S.E. 793 (1938) (decided under former Code 1933, § 26-5103); Pickett v. State, 123 Ga. App. 1, 179 S.E.2d 303 (1970).

Please be advised however that this does not excuse carrying a concealed weapon or carrying a pistol without a license to a situation where an emergency may arise.

One cannot carry a pistol about one's person for meeting any emergency that may arise, or an emergency which one unlawfully intends to create by one's own act, without first procuring a license, and if such carrying is done outside of one's home or place of business, one is guilty of a violation of former Code 1933, § 26-5103 (see O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128). Caldwell v. State, 58 Ga. App. 408, 198 S.E. 793 (1938) (decided under former Code 1933, § 26-5103).

14. Malum Prohibitum

I think you hit the nail on the head. :wink:

The difference is whether you carried it to the public gathering before the emergency arose, which would mean the act of carrying it is not excused or justified, even if the self defense would be.

Immunity is out the window either way.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

HA! What ever they have to tell themselves to get through the night, for I know I will be getting through the night. Even if that means I have to stop a threat in a 'prohibited' area.