911 He Has a Gun! Police Kill Him

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Alton Sterling dead. The officer did not know he was being videotaped.

Tuesday night. Somebody called 911 and reported that Alton Sterling "pulled a gun." All the people at the convenience store denied that this happened. Swatting?

Anyway, officers arrive. Alton Sterling did indeed carry a gun. While on the ground, the officer yells, “He’s got a gun! Gun!â€

Not in his hand, mind you.

Now he is dead.

A cell phone video is now released. Take a look.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...a-gun-when-baton-rogue-police-killed-him.html

2. Malum Prohibitum

3. Malum Prohibitum

4. Drew

Drew Active Member

Well based on the videos I can't see why the cops feel they were justified. But maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

5. Malum Prohibitum

I do not see anything even close to representing a threat. He does not appear even to be resisting, at least actively, the tackle and dog pile.

6. Drew

Drew Active Member

I was wondering if I was missing something when I first watched the video, because I could not believe what I was seeing.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Somebody yelled Gun! so somebody just shot him. I guess it seemed like the thing to do at the time.

The important thing is that the officers got to go home safely at the end of their shift. Do not forget what is important.

8. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Looks like murder to me.

9. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Better quality video here: Do not watch this video unless you want to see a man killed. Near the end..........it seems a LEO reaches over his body and pulls a little something (gun possibly) out of his right hand pocket.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_jwC06LCdM[/ame]

10. Drew

Drew Active Member

I believe the article said it was a gun removed from his pocket as well. I never saw him reach for it though.

11. SgtRock

SgtRock Member

Why is it that UFO's come into view just as the camera moves away? The most critical part of the video; from 11 seconds to 15 seconds are out of view (probably reaction to the shots being fired).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

At time 0:29 the cop pulls the gun out of his pocket.

13. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I think that the officers will be hard pressed to claim that as a justifiable shooting.

14. 95thBonehead

95thBonehead New Member

It will be simple as hell. They will claim it, then investigate themselves. Of course they will find no wrong doing and move along.

15. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I saw no evidence in this clearer video that Alton Sterling was attempting to go for his weapon.

It appears as though the officer who shot him did so entirely out of panic from the other officer screaming, "he's got a gun, he's going for a gun!".

This was an execution, just like the Falcon Heights shooting of Philando Castile may indeed be (we need to see that dash cam video).

16. Phil1979

You know, I'm starting to rethink whether I should openly carry my holstered pistol in public. There are plenty of nutcases that could call 911 and falsely report me threatening people with a gun, only to have police tackle and shoot me out of panic.

17. Phil1979

The fact is, too many people are being hired to be police officers that are not properly screened as to their temperament for the job, nor are properly trained to deal with armed individuals who do not necessarily present a threat.

The knee-jerk reaction all too often, is to shoot first and build your case for justification later.

18. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

No, the issue is their lack of accountability and guaranteed immunity, which is a systemic problem in the courts and in the law. Blanket immunity "special status" needs to be eliminated. There are zero consequences for bad actors, and the system is rigged to protect them. Fix that and you fix these endless tragedies.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  19. Phil1979

I agree that blanket immunity needs to go.

That would greatly help reduce the number of these unjustified shootings by police.

That's not the only root of the problem, though. Another is that there's just too many police, with a good portion of them not cut out for the job, nor properly trained for the job.

It seems like much of the training is bent to escalate rather than deescalate a situation.

20. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

LEO should be as accountable as me when it comes to a shooting. People will say that if that were the case, no one would become a police officer. Well hell, problem solved!!!