89 APD Officers Fail 2010 Firearms Test

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by lynx, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lynx

lynx Member

Snip from the article: "Last year alone, nearly 90 officers failed the firearms qualifications test. FOX 5 News has learned that the department will now immediately take a weapon away from any officer who fails the required exam."

and the link: http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/89 ... est-011911

Elsewhere in the article, it notes that of the 89 who failed, 14 were eventually put on administrative duty.

2. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach New Member

Well that makes me feel a little safer for the day when they draw down and shoot at me for no reason like they've been doing the past couple of years. Maybe they'll just miss. ?????

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I wonder how many failed to qualify on the radar gun operation test?

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

That's not good.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Many in APD don't run radar anyway.

6. LordSephiroth

LordSephiroth New Member

What does this test involve? Anyone know?

7. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Hitting non moving paper targets I suspect.

8. ricka01

ricka01 New Member

I hate to be so cynical, but the APD is likely to make the firearms test easier...

9. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

im sure that before long, all youll have to do to pass is put the correct finger on the trigger..... then only 75 officers would fail.....

10. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

POINT and SHOOT - ACCURACY AT NIGHT OR DAY

It could become a training issue. :)

11. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

:?

12. lynx

lynx Member

There is a video at the link I gave in my original post, that gives a few more specifics about the test they have to take. They are expected to shoot 80% or better at four distances. However, only 3 specific distances are mentioned in the video-- 7 yards, 15 yards, and 25 yards.

13. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

is that 80% on paper or 80% in the 10 ring?

14. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I thought cops were the only ones professional enough to carry a gun. :shattered:

15. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

The APD can't "make the qualification easier" because any course other than the state qualification course must be approved by a committee of the Georgia Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors. It's not a decision that the APD can make on its own. I do not know if the APD is shooting the state course or one they have gotten approved.

89 out of 1800 is a pretty small percentage statistically, but it is still too dang high for the subject at hand.

The standard state course can be seen by clicking here.

The standard course is very easy to pass. It takes 240 raw points to pass, and there are 220 raw points at the 3 and 7 yard lines, which means that if you get full points at the 3 and 7 you only need to make 2 full point hits from the either the 15 or 25. While the course is easy to pass, it is a bit of a challenge to get a perfect score. I have shot a perfect 100 three times since the course was adopted several years ago, but considering the number of pistols that I qualify with my number of times shooting the course is pretty high. I haven't updated my spreadsheet lately, but my average is a fuzz over 97 including BUGs that I qualified with on the standard course rather than the back-up course.

16. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

thats all it is? geez..... i can say i honestly dont understand how anyone could not pass that.... my son can pass that with flying colors..... and he is 8.

17. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Let us not forget that some of these officers trying to qualify may have been on the force for quite awhile. They could be a part of the older "cops" that we respected in our youth. Their eyesight is just like us older folks....not quite as good as it used to be. I'm just sayin' that while it may be newsworthy....don't sell them short....

18. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i have bad vision and shoot better without my glasses than i do with them......

19. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

If a cop is too old to be a cop, he shouldn't be a cop. If a cop can't see well enough to hit a target, that cop shouldn't be a cop. If a cop is too fat to pass a cop physical, that cop shouldn't be a cop. In other words, if cops can't perform their job they need to find other employment.

20. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

sometimes it hurts, but the truth is the truth. i agree with your post 100%!