Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent seen anyone discuss these lately and frankly im still confused.

These were supposed to improve traffic. Given i dont understand the logic behind that but thats what we were told.

Then we were told the maximum cost would cap around $6. Its now $13.

Why are people not up in arms about this obvious scam?

Please if i am missing something tell me.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What are you missing? I don't frequent 85, but when I do, I am glad that I have the HOT lane available. When we came back from a weekend trip a few weeks ago, traffic was ass...like normal. I was able to use the HOT lane and the entire length cost me a whopping 13 cents. *If* I had to commute on that stretch, I would also use it...for me, time is $$$.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
HOV\HOT lanes have always been about revenue. Too bad you fell for the scam. Our gas taxes pay for the road then we have to pay again to use it each time. Someone remind me why we let tar and feathers fall out of style?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im missing how this improves traffic and how an existing lane was turned into a toll lane.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
It doesn't improve traffic; it's intended to provide some sort of guaranteed trip time. I commute on 85 daily and it's usually good for shaving 10 minutes or so off my trip time.

Of course, it doesn't help when people pace the lanes next to them. You're paying a premium to do (close to) the speed limit, not to go as slow as the cars right next to you.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It doesn't improve traffic; it's intended to provide some sort of guaranteed trip time. I commute on 85 daily and it's usually good for shaving 10 minutes or so off my trip time.

Of course, it doesn't help when people pace the lanes next to them. You're paying a premium to do (close to) the speed limit, not to go as slow as the cars right next to you.
You're being scammed! /s off.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
The increasing prices are to reduce traffic in the lane and, again, provide something close to a guaranteed trip time.

I've been priced out of the HOT lane once. It was $10something to go the length and that wasn't worth it to me. I was just late that day. But $6 or so to miss the inevitable jam around Pleasant Hill and the typical jam above spaghetti junction is worth it to me.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Hmmm, increase the price for traveling in the lane in order to incentivise the lane to not be used by most people.

Most of those who use it anyway are the ones with the best jobs or who are independently wealthy.

That gives me an idea: Do the same for ALL lanes and that will incentivise people to get better jobs or be independently wealthy.

A win-win, both for the government getting the increased revenue and for the people getting better off economically.

Soon, the low paying jobs will go to other states, and we will keep all the best jobs to ourselves. All just because we "tweaked" our travel laws.

Is Governor Deal aware of this excellent plan?

The increasing prices are to reduce traffic in the lane and, again, provide something close to a guaranteed trip time.

I've been priced out of the HOT lane once. It was $10something to go the length and that wasn't worth it to me. I was just late that day. But $6 or so to miss the inevitable jam around Pleasant Hill and the typical jam above spaghetti junction is worth it to me.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
I don't have the best job, nor am I independently wealthy. I do have a job for which it's essential that I be on time, so it's nice to have an option that allows me to bypass some of the traffic.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,905 Posts
Edited my post to acknowledge the exceptions.

I don't have the best job, nor am I independently wealthy. I do have a job for which it's essential that I be on time, so it's nice to have an option that allows me to bypass some of the traffic.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No, they ADDED a lane by making all the other lanes narrower. Which is why cars are all narrower now.
Not on I-85, they simply redid the existing HOV lane into an HOT lane by adding transponder readers and electronic signs, they didn't make any other physical alterations to the road.

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
HOV\HOT lanes have always been about revenue. Too bad you fell for the scam. Our gas taxes pay for the road then we have to pay again to use it each time. Someone remind me why we let tar and feathers fall out of style?
The problem with the gas tax is that cars are getting much higher MPGs on average thanks to CARB and EPA pushing for cleaner air. The backlash from all that is people are still using the same amount of roads, but buying less fuel to do it. The gas tax isn't keeping up. Don't be surprised if there is a new "tire tax" in the future to offset those missing fuel tax dollars.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hmmm, increase the price for traveling in the lane in order to incentivise the lane to not be used by most people.

Most of those who use it anyway are the ones with the best jobs or who are independently wealthy.
I know, I used it while I was still an enlisted dude in the military and that is most definitely the definition of "independently wealthy."

I am calling it like it REALLY is; white privilege.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
There's a sucker born every minute...

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Not on I-85, they simply redid the existing HOV lane into an HOT lane by adding transponder readers and electronic signs, they didn't make any other physical alterations to the road.
You are correct, I was describing the creation of the original HOV lane. Gettin' old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.