70 yr Old Man Kills 2 Robbers in 3 Weeks, Reporter Suspended

Discussion in 'In the News' started by CoolHand, Oct 18, 2007.

1. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Monday night, KDFW-Channel 4 ran a piece about 70-year-old James Walton, owner of Able Walton Machine & Welding in West Dallas, who, early Sunday morning, shot and killed and man trying to break into his business. What made Walton's story so extraordinary was that it was the second time he'd killed an intruder in three weeks. As it happens, Walton also lives at his place of business.

The reporter ,Rebecca Aguilar, story elicited a torrent of outrage, both on local blogs (chiefly FrontBurner but also elsewhere) and from viewers who began deluging the station with angry calls Monday night and much of the day yesterday. This is her idea of journalism? Ambushing a 70-year-old man who has been through life-and-death twice in three weeks? "Are you a trigger happy kind of person? Is that what what you wanted to do? Shoot to kill?"

Aguilar -- who was just named one of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists' Broadcast Journalists of the Year -- has been indefinitely suspended, based on concerns about how Aguilar treated Walton. She could not be reached for comment, but Unfair Park did leave Aguilar a message on her cell phone. (When we tried her number in the newsroom, another woman answered and said, "Rebecca isn't available today.") We also left a message for Maria Barrs, the station's news director. --Robert Wilonsky
    http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairp ... guilar.php

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZd-5dY ... og.com/mt/

Moral: Don't try to rob or bully old men.

Edited by GS1 (fixed the link)

2. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

The blog link is down for some reason, too much activity I guess. So what was her reason to just grill him like that? Is she known for being anti gun in the past?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Almost as bad as the sounds of innocent children soon to be replaced by the banging of gunfire.

:roll:

4. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Wacked how the world is. She deserves alot more than a suspension. She needs to put herself in the older mans shoes.

Oh wait she is a journalist...............they are the exception for seeing things from the eyes of teh victim.

Sarcasm off....

5. phaed

phaed Active Member

wow...just wow. kudos to the old timer. kudos as well for anyone with the balls to discipline a double minority when they do the wrong thing.

6. b8fish

b8fish Member

She sounds like a perfect candidate for 2nd Amendment Sensitivity Training

7. Malum Prohibitum

8. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

This story's a few weeks old now, but I'm glad to see people are still aware of it.

Ms. Aguiliar deserved to be suspended, and should be fired. It shocks me to see what passes as journalism these days. Confronting a frightened man and trying to put words in his mouth isn't journalism--it's something I'd expect from the Gestapo.

While she was harassing Walton, she planted herself in such a position as to keep him from closing his car door and leaving the scene. In his state of mind and in that situation, I think he reacted very calmly. I certainly wouldn't have been nearly as courteous to her as he was.

9. phaed

phaed Active Member

what the hell???

anyway, glad it turned out ok for the guy. it still rubs me the wrong way that they always have to note that the victim didn't get charged. that should always be the default position, and not need mentioning unless something strange was going on.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Hear, hear!

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

42 previous break-ins?

I'm gonna go waaaaaay out on a limb here and suggest maybe that Mr. Walton's business is not located in one of the better neighborhoods in town...

Glad the Grand Jury returned a no bill. An indictment would have been the perfect end to what was already a bad time for the guy.

As for the so-called journalist... I'm gonna go out on another limb here and suggest she was suspended with pay.

And she won't be fired, no matter how badly she deserves it. After all, she is an award-winning double-minority journalist, most definitely NOT someone who can be fired.

Just about the only people who can be fired for cause are members of unprotected classes.

Unprotected classes of people are white guys younger than 40 and, in most of the country, homosexuals.

So, after enjoying her vacation, she'll be back on the "job"...

:rant:

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Doesn't mean she can't apologize and be sent to sensitivity training. :twisted:

13. LeCZends

LeCZends Guest

14. Malum Prohibitum

No bias by this reporter, either.

15. Macktee

Macktee New Member

If anyone is having a pity party, it's Ms Aguilar and she was obviously shown favoritism by the print reporter who interviewed her very sympathetically.

The newspaper story makes her out to be just a simple, hard working reporter who was wronged by management only after the station started taking heat for her treatment of Mr. Walton.

If you read some of the 133 (and counting) comments attached to the story, you get a little different picture. One thing mentioned in several of the comments worth noting is she's the only one suspended. The people who approved airing the interview are still at work. I agree, the editor or manager or news director or whomever gave that approval should also be on suspension.

[-X

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

17. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

:woohoo: I love happy endings!

18. Malum Prohibitum

I like the comments section.

19. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1