500 pound black bear and 10mm

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by Malum Prohibitum, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Alaska.

500 pounds.
    http://www.guitarsalon.biz/10mm/10mmhunt.htm

2. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Someone has some mighty big ones.

3. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Why isn't there an 11mm?

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The 10mm is a good save-your-life gun in a pinch, even against big critters. Of course, if they're too big, or your shots don't hit just right, you may need all 16 rounds from your Glock 20 or EAA Witness. :shock:

I was disappointed that the ammo type was not mentioned. But since they penetrated both sides of the skull from front to back, I'd suspect they were flat nose gas checked hardcast bullets. That's the only kind I'd carry in large-bear country. Don't use them in a stock Glock barrel though, get an aftermarket barrel that has full head support.

5. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

11mm = 0.433in. So you could call 45ACP an 11mm round if you want to.

6. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I can vouch with absolute certainty that a 180 grain JHP 10mm can kill black bears. BearS. Got it? I don't need to read about it. Have the Tee Shirt.

7. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Not sure I'd go into bear country with something smaller than a .44, and btw I love my super blackhawk. I'd bet my life on it with anything on two legs.

8. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Black bear country is most of the USA... Like, oh, I don't know... Washington state....

9. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

When Salmon fishing in the NW we always carry 1911 .460 Rowland's and twenty rounds each even when in the water. A griz makes that thing look small. 19 are for the bear, one is for you. :wink:

10. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

11. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

wow, I can't even imagine that guy's pucker power. I think I would have taken a shot as soon as the bear's back leg was on the ladder.

12. Malum Prohibitum

I've had multiple black bears in my camp here in Georgia about ten years ago. I asked rangers there recently, and they said they have not heard of any bears there in at least ten years. Who is to say what "bear country" is? I know it caught me by surprise.

13. sirkut

sirkut Member

Last year the wife & I did went to the Len Foote Hike Inn (Dawsonville) and saw a clear & fresh bear print on the path. Those working there said there was a mother and a cub in the area.

14. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Blue ridge is having a issue with them now.I travel up through there to goto my Hometown and have spotted them on numerous times. My grandfather had taken pop shots at them to get them out of his garbage in Polk county Tennessee

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I went camping last year on Mt. Pisqua, NC Novermber of 2009, and the night before, there was a large black bear within the camps. Its needless to say that my .40 stayed on my hip the whole time.

Then after reading some stories about bear attacks, I realized I was really not so safe. I now carry the 357 SIG when I go. Also, it definitely made me re-think things. This is one of the main reasons I'd buy a larger caliber pistol, 10mm, .460 Roland or .44 Mag.

If I camped more, I think I would definitely be investing in one of them.

16. Malum Prohibitum

This was FDR State Park, down near Warm Springs, not normally "bear country," not up in the mountains, even the rangers say "no bears here." Thankfully, black bears are pretty shy and reclusive, normally not aggressive at all, but I feel better carrying in state parks. No, I do not lug around a .44 magnum.

17. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

1. You should.

2. Perhaps they make one in a deranger. :shock: That way there is no lugging. :D

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think Malum could kill a bear by chucking a firewood log at its head.
    Sombody actually did that, a couple years ago.

And I read a case many years ago where a guy was dove hunting when a black bear charged him.
    He shot it in the head from close range with a load of #7 birdshot.
    Killed that bruin dead a doornail on the spot.

The fact that he was using birdshot and had no slugs, no buckshot, anywhere on his person is what kept him from being charged with taking game out of season and without a big game tag. The only reason the park rangers believed his self-defense story was the supposed ineffectiveness of the ammo he carried (which turned out to be rather effective in this case).

19. Match10

Match10 Active Member

It was only a couple of years ago that a Black bear boar was on the 6 oclock news here at the Bells Ferry and I575 interestion. Then later that month, a Black bear was killed on I75 near Towne Center Mall.

I saw one last week in Pennsylvania while deer hunting.

I've seen fifteen in my parents' yard in Washington state. This little boy was rather pissed at my mom for removing her hummingbird feeders, and tore up the entire yard, swing, light pole, car, house, chairs, table, fireplace ... He was 480 pounds. Just note I said, "was".

[​IMG]

He was not friendly and was rather threatening. The sow with a cub was also threatening this spring. What to go out to feed the dog in the kennel and have to confront that nightly?

Black bears are really ranging throughout the USA. They are not cuddly..... BTW- A 357 Security Six Ruger works well, too.

20. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

A few years ago there was a black bear spotted around just outside Augusta, GA in Evan's Georgia. I believe he was finally caught near Bobby Jones Expressway and I-20. Its definitely not "bear country" and its rather suburban.

Also, even more recently than that, my mother had a black bear walking around their neighborhood in Martinez, GA near Augusta as well. That bear was never caught. Its all suburban there.

Sometimes the bears just come down from the mountains for whatever reasons. Just because its not "bear country" doesn't mean a few are not there.