500 Magnum. To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GunNoob, Aug 12, 2014.

1. GunNoob

GunNoob Member

Hey y'all.

I was on a gun binge for a while, but I think I am going to slow down for a while and enjoy the purchases I have procured over the last 3 months, with the exception of the one I have on consignment.

I was really impressed with the massive firepower of the S&W 500, at least what I saw on Youtube. On the same token, I have heard a lot of folks have wanted to return it upon initial buy. I do not know anyone who owns one, so I have no way of testing it out. Yes, I know its not practical, but I am looking for my first fun gun.

I'd love to hear feedback from either those who own one or had the opportunity to shoot one. Should I just stay away and keep the idea of owning one in the back of my head or make that leap of faith and throw down my $1,000?

2. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

It's definitely a novelty gun, unless you plan on being somewhere that you'd need protection from bears. You'll seldom put more than 20'ish rounds through it at a time due to the painful recoil and painful price of ammo, but you wouldn't be disappointed any time you take it to the range. Speaking of ranges, you'll make every head at the range turn on a swivel and stare directly at you every time you pull the trigger.

3. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Shooting cabbages or lettuce heads with the .500 is particularly satisfying. They blow up good. The video below is the .460 magnum shredding some cabbage.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TwUCx8nRTPo[/ame]

4. billnchristy

billnchristy New Member

Seems like the kind of gun you would want to reload for to avoid factory ammo prices.

I also noticed that it can shoot bullets heavier than some shotgun slugs. Ouch.

5. GunNoob

GunNoob Member

Yep. I have seen 700 grain bullets. They call them T-Rex Thumpers. :uzi:

6. GunNoob

GunNoob Member

Yeah, I figured as much. Although I am not sure I'd find fulfillment in driving everyone out of my local indoor range from the noise. :hide::hide:

7. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

My dad has one. It is definitely a novelty gun. It only holds 5 rounds in the cylinder b/c they are so large. When we shoot it, we just make sure we're pointed down range. I don't think I've actually tried to hit anything with it.

8. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

That's just my game...l got one with the 4 inch barrel...after acquiring this gun I had to start reloading because the rounds were waaaaay overpriced...commercial rounds are about $3 each...I can reload them for about 90 cents each...I now reload all my straight wall pistol cartridges...I love the way my 500 mag shoots...I shoot mine at an outdoor range... gasmasher and I shot it one time at an indoor range over on highway 5...it got everybody's attention after one shot...everybody and I mean everybody whether at an indoor or an outdoor range stops what they're doing to take note of what's going on...it's quite a handful and quite concussive...but I disagree with those that say it's painful to shoot...it is not...I mean let's face it...you ain't getting your nails done boys...you're shooting a large bore magnum handgun...anybody on this forum is welcome to pull the trigger on mine anytime we can get together...inside or out...I have carried mine many times in a Ross belt slide holster that's about the size of a pancake...the kind you eat...I actually carried it at the very first GCO convention.......I blasted holes in some guys rifle target at 100 yards at the DNR range in Resaca Georgia...I was impressed...he was not...

yea c'mon...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

rent one

I year ago I rented a S&W 500 magnum revolver at that gun shop, shooting range, and gun safe dealer in Forest Park, behind the Farmer's Market and near some strip club.

The ammo was something like $3 per round, so I bought and fired 3 or 4 or them.

I recall thinking that it felt like a .44 magnum. The round is much more powerful than a .44, sure, but the WEIGHT of the revolver is also much more. It was a shove, not a hand-stinging slap. I'd much rather shoot a .500 magnum revolver out of an 8" barreled X-frame S&W than I would to shoot a .357 magnum load out of an alloy-framed J-frame S&W that only weighs 13 ounces.

10. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

If you have to have something massive for your first gun, I'd recommend the 460S&W Mag.

460's can shoot: 460S&W Mag, 454 Casull, .45 Colt and .45 Schofield rounds. It's like having four guns in one. Also, the last two rounds can be found for approx. $0.50/rd.

With a 500S&W Mag, you only have two very expensive caliber choices: 500S&W Mag and 500S&W Special. Those calibers cost $2-4 per round.

http://www.military.com/video/guns/pistols/shot-show-2014-smith-wesson/3053663939001

11. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I'll stick with .44mag if I want a big bore revolver for now (which I already own). Sure, it's not quite as powerful, but I don't plan on encountering anything that would require a .500 either animal or human. The ammo is also more plentiful and more affordable.

Mrs. E's suggestion above is also a good one.

12. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Screw a .500

Short Barreled Shotgun anyone?

[​IMG]

13. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

never say screw a 500 to a guy who owns a 500...:)

yea c'mon...

14. Match10

Match10 Active Member

The 500 is certainly a handful. I cannot think of a reason to have one, in that my .44 mags do everything hunting and elsewise that I do.

I've got three friends with them. They are "fun", if not punishing. The cartridges cost a small fortune, and if you do not reload, they are expensive to feed. I have several lower power loads that are still "stout", but manageable.

For me, I have no purpose in having one.

15. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about getting one too. I really wish Magnum Research would make a shorter cylinder for their BFR revolver chambered for this cartridge. I looked at a BFR at adventure outdoors and I really like it but that cylinder is way too long for that round. I like that revolver so much more than the smith. Nothing wrong with buying a firearm just for it's mostest attributes.

This is a good read if you are a handloader or a caster.

http://john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf

16. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Novelty gun - one trick pony. I wouldn't buy one.