50 cal kill you without hitting you?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by NetAdminWithGun, May 24, 2007.

1. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

This just sound stupid to me, a person i was talking to yesterday swore that you could get killed by a 50 call 5 feet away.

He said it could rip your arm off if it was close enough , but not hitting you.

This just seems silly to me...by that logic my 30-06 should be able to take off a finger at 5 feet at the least.

His logic was its speed that did it.

Is he retarded or am i missing something?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

eh.....I dunno about that one.

Would not the operator of the weapon be closer than 5 feet? And seeing as how he is going by speed I'd imagine that it would be at its fastest velocity coming right out of the barrel.

3. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

thats what i had figured, but this guy was so sure of himself (and he owns one and i dont) that I couldn't put up much of a fight.

If this were true those .50 cal machineguns we use are sure effective.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Ask him to do a simple test. Buy a watermelon and shoot 5 feet to the side of it. That should shut down his argument PDQ.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Ask him for some of whatever it is he is smoking. It has to be some good stuff.

6. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Yep, that's someone who got his "info" from a buddy who was :bsflag: ing him. When I was in we used to tell people all kinds of crap.

Heard the best line from an SEAL once...

"Most of the big fish stories that you hear about SEALS are from people who wish they were SEALS."

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think this guy has been reading too much Brady BS.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

And you informed him that the speed is about the same as a .30-06, right?

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I think the only way that would work is if you were standing next to a brick wall, the bullet hit 5 feet away from you, broke up the wall, and a piece of brick entered a ballistic arc towards your head...

so basically, no.

10. Dan H

Dan H New Member

BS

However, correct me if I am wrong, but if there was an object of good size going in excess of the speed of sound, its possible for the shockwave of said object to harm you within close proximity. Hence when jets break the sound barrier, they are known to break glass windows on the ground from 30,000 feet. So Im guessing the shockwave of a large object (Much larger than a bullet) going in excess of the speed of sound could harm you with its shockwave...

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

When someone snaps or cracks a whip, it is the tip going past the speed of sound. 22s and other larger rifle bullets usually do pass the speed of sound.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:!:

13. pyromaster

pyromaster New Member

Great. Now the Brady bunch will want to ban them because they can blow up planes a mile away without even hitting them!!! :shock: :lol:

14. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

That guy was pulling your leg or is just a dummy.

Yes, any bullet moving faster than the speed of sound (approx. 1080 feet per second) will make a loud supersonic "crack" when it goes past your head. At a latter moment in time, depending on the distance of the shooter to you, you'll hear the report of the shot from the weapon. No, it will not do anything to you. It missed. It is also your cue to move your butt to the nearest available cover...NOW!!! In the case of the .50 bmg round cover needs to be something like about a yard and 1/2 of packed earth, 1.5 inches of hardened steel, or 6 feet of water.

The only way a .50 could hurt yah by hitting something 5 feet away is if the round fragmented and a piece hit you or set you on fire if it was an incendiary projectile.

Well I guess you could have a heart attack from the experience. :shock:

I've shot M2's and several Barrett M-82's. :D They are a blast. If you're standing beside the weapon during firing you'll feel like you've been slapped in the chest and your innards will jiggle around. It's worse with the Barrett because of the muzzle brake directing the blast back at 45 degree angles from the barrel.

15. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

When the bullet leaves the barrel, isn't that less than 5 feet from your head? By that logic, your head should explode about .10 miliseconds after you pull the trigger.

And how could it rip your arm off if it came within 5 feet of you if it was shot at you? It's not like if you actually do get hit in the chest with a .50 call that your legs, arms and head immediately go flying in different directions. You just have a big hole in your chest.

That guy should be working at a gunshop. He seems to meet the general critera for employment.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

See post 2. 8)

And I know just the shop where he would fit in too. :)

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Them boxes they put on the tip of the barrel are top-secret anti head-explosion devices that keeps the head of the shooter and of those behind him from exploding when the gun goes off.

18. maddog

maddog New Member

Wish someone had told a couple of the deer that I shot at years ago that they were supposed to die or be injured when the bullet missed them by just a few inches .... hmmm

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

He's not joking people. I've never shot one but I've been around both of these (and others) being shot and it has a distinct feeling to say the least.