Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
might be visible without lenses. To the buck naked Mark 1 eyeball.

Be really worth seeing. Drive out of town a few or 50 miles if you must. Keep an eye on the news for it.

Nemo

· Lawyer and Gun Activist
30,174 Posts
I saw Hale-Bopp 25 years ago.

That's the comet of a lifetime (or 10, or 100 lifetimes!)

· Lawyer and Gun Activist
30,174 Posts
Haley's in 1986 was a huge disappointment to me. I looked with my naked eye, with binoculars, and then I tried to find it with a 30 power spotting scope without success. I think I saw the dot of light that was the Comet,
but the "tail" coming off of it was just a smudge.

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Astronomical telescopes are much better designed for that sort of thing, and they are not that expensive. When MP Jr and I looked at three of Jupiter's moons, we thought that was pretty cool. I had to keep adjusting the scope to keep them in view, though, because the earth would not stop its spinning just so we could gaze at another planet's moons.

Max is delighting in pointing out Mars and Venus to his friends now that I have taught him how to spot them with the naked eye. Mars is actually red to the naked eye these days, due to the position of the earth, mars, and the sun. Go outside after all the red just disappears from the setting sun and look up and a bit to the southwest direction, and it will be very obvious to you and a neat thing to show any kids. Max also likes to pass on that it is the only planet in the solar system inhabited entirely by robots.

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mars is regularly visible. I never thought of it that way. Do some hunting around and you can find an App that will identify most visible starts in the sky if you point up on a clear night. Somehow it gets your location, direction, elevation, and seeing the stars through the camera identifies them.

Many will also point out the constellations and all that. Its pretty terrific. Midnight in the back yard, on a blanket looking up at the stars can lead to some interesting findings.

Nemo

• Haha
Reactions: mountainman444

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
11,838 Posts
Can you reserve time at the Solar observatory at Tellus?

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get ready, its getting close. Best viewing on the greatest holiday of the year also. That means something-- what, I don't know yet but its important.

Nemo

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Start Looking! ! !

You will not be around for the next trip by to see it.

Nemo

Atmosphere World Organism Font Astronomical object

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Since I live south from Atlanta, it is hard for me to see much of anything to the north. :(

The stars are bright as can be to the east, south, and west. I feel a little sad about Mars starting to dim, now. When it was very bright recently I got used to looking at it with my son all bright and reddish.

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will be worth a trip north to see it. Remember, you won't be here (nor your son) when it comes back by.

Nemo

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts