5 minute background check

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by USMC - Retired, Oct 30, 2007.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

As if we didn't have enough reason to raise the BS flag on background check wait times, today I was given one more.

My job requires an annual criminal background check in order to obtain access to the base, regardless of the fact that I hold a high level security clearance. So it being that time of the year today I went out to the Dougherty County Jail to get my background check done. It took me longer to fill out the one page info sheet on myself and pay my eight bucks than it took them to run the check. In under five minutes I was in and out with my completed background check stating that I have no criminal history with either the Dougherty County sheriffs office or GCIC.

Now, given that the FBI check is "instant" and I can get both a local and GCIC check back in under five minutes.....

WHY THE #@!! DOES IT TAKE OVER 60 DAYS TO GET A GFL?!?!?! :evil:

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I have a badge to access the secure areas of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The fingerprint checks are being turned around in about 3 days lately.

Here's the kicker: Soon, the TSA will be taking over the background checks and we have been told to expect the turnaround time to increase to about 30 days.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

When they started the requirement for finger prints and background checks to get a Haz-Mat endorsement for a CDL we were told to expect delays of 4-6 months for the TSA to get background checks to come back and approve them. In actuality they ran about 6-8 weeks.

4. merlock

merlock Active Member

That's one of the benefits of of 'professionalizing' airport security. :evil:

5. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Why can't an elected representative make this cry during the General Assembly instead of us "little people" at Georgia Packing? Are there any members of our legislature that have a current GFL, and has had the difficulties that so many of us have?

My ATL badge, supposedly checking me out for the last 10 years, plus my Delta ID, checking out who knows what, were both completed in days.

I STILL contend that a major bottleneck is the local Probate Court. They (in many counties) are not "allowing us our right" as much as "doing us a huge and heart-wrenching favor" by issuing a GFL, and they take their #@!! time doing so. It just is NOT on their priority list.

(... reaching for blood pressure medicine ...)

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

HB 850 is already filed! And there may be more coming . . .

Be at the lunch!

7. Croe

Croe Guest

Going through Secret and Facility Clearances right now with work and they are quoting 2-4 weeks for interim clearance to their facilities. Apparently there is a new requirement for federal contractors to obtain SSBI clearance. At least that is what we are required to do for our contract. I understand this can take MONTHS! Sucks, but part of the jobby job.

-B

8. shamalama

shamalama New Member

I finally got GFL's for everyone under my roof. Now I'm trying to coax my gentle bride "out of the shadows" and into the public ... with the luncheon being one of the steps.

9. brianh

brianh New Member

+1

I work for the Atlanta DOA. My background check, done earlier this year and including a fingerprint check, took all of 4 days. That included the time it took for the paperwork to wend it's way from the Security Division back to DOA Personnel.

Probate court clerks and judges who claim the process takes months are full of male bovine feces. They simply don't want to do it because concealed carry doesn't fit into their politically correct view of the world and the state supreme court has given them the authority to drag the process out as long as they like.

10. shamalama

shamalama New Member

+1

11. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the Moore v. Cranford decision.

Since the court has ruled that any delays must be specifically attributable to the investigative process, we have some good case law on our side.

Using GCO’s guide to tracking one’s background check, one should be able to easily determine whether or not the investigation is really what delayed their GFL. From there, one could mount a successful suit against a judge that took longer than 60 days for no reason.

12. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

We could subpoena the files of people that have applied. The time stamp on my background check was pretty damning evidence, considering it was printed out with all the info within 48 hours of my original application. I don't know how GA's "mental health" system works, but I guess that any disqualifying condition would have to be communicated to a court just like an arrest or conviction would to begin with.

13. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

That's the NICS check.

14. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

I flipped through *everything* that was paperclipped to my file, and anything that looked remotely like a background check of any sort was all dated at the same time.

15. Malum Prohibitum

:D

16. Malum Prohibitum

:wink:

Anecdotal evidence derived from reports here also show several counties are speeding up their process.