45ACP and rifle questions

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by kestak, Sep 5, 2010.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I have 2 completely unrelated questions for you guys.

1 - Any of you have issues feeding a 1911 (here it is a RIA 1911A2) with Gold dots 230 grains bullets? I thought I solved the issue when I changed a little bit the angle of the ramp (The barrel is not ramped. It is the frame) but I still have the round beeing stuck parallel to the slide (It does not climb the ramp). Anyone could recommend me self-defense bullets or manufactured rounds that would climb the ramp? What about those bullets who are hollow points but they have an insert that make them round nose?

2 - Bear with me here. I reloaded some 30-06 and shooting them made me think...
    Yes, Me thinking is never good...hehehehe
    Here is my question: At the moment I press the trigger and the firing pin is hitting the primer. The powder ignite and propulse the bullet down the barrel. When the gun does begin to move? Is it at the exact moment the powder ignite or just a little bit after the bullet exit? I am wondering that because if the gun begins to move at the moment the powder ignite and pushes the bullet, how come it does not affect the precision each time the gun is shot?
    I would imagine the "vibration" would move the barrel a little bit out of where the "cross" of the scope points and the bullet would not hit exactly where you pointed...Anyone knows why the bullet hit where we point if there is movement while the bullet is into the barrel?

Thank you

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm not sure how much a rifle moves while the bullet is in the barrel, but I'm sure it's some.
    Now HANDGUNS will recoil more and faster, but on the other hand the barrel is so short it doesn't take long for the bullet to clear the tube and get in the air.

HOW can a gun be accurate when it may move before the slug leaves the barrel?
    ANSWER: Consistency. Having the gun move ONLY the same way it always moves, no more, no less, for each shot.
    And the sights are aligned to compensate for whatever movements there are.

3. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Newton would argue that the rifle begins to move the instant the bullet does. Equal and opposite reactions.

4. grog

grog New Member

My suggestions/questions:
    1-What exactly are you describing when you say, "the round being stuck parallel to the slide"? Is the magazine not feeding correctly or are you having double feed issues? This sounds like the magazine spring needs to be replaced.

2-Why would you want to shoot hollow points that use an insert to make it a round nose? If your goal is to use this ammo for training, I'd suggest buying inexpensive ball ammo, and save the hollow points for carry only.

3-To add to gunsmoker's comments- if he doesn't object :D -having the correct grip on the weapon will ensure the sight alignment is correct and that the weapon returns to "zero" every time.

5. Match10

Match10 Active Member

If you look at my Ruger SBH with a 11" barrel, you will see the muzzle rise as the aim point is well below the target. The specific load of the cartridge's accuracy is dependent upon the known muzzle rise for that load. (In other words, a "hot" load causes more rise than a weaker load like a 44 Special.) It is disconcerting to look down the barrel at the area underneath your target while aiming! ...But you hit where the sights are pointing!

The same is seen in rifle and handguns. My rifles all shoot, to a lesser degree, differently (up or down) with each bullet type and load. The percentage difference is greater wih a handgun cartridge velocity (1000 fps +/-) than with a rifle buzzing them out there at 3000 fps +/-. This is one reason the gun magazines publish a +/- velocity with load information and testing: It affects accuracy and repeatability.

6. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

May wanna try a different style of magazine follower in the 1911. Different followers can cause the round to exit the mag at a different angle and affect feeding.

7. Priest

Priest New Member

One the HP ammo for the 1911

I have seen a few of them that will not feed ammo with the profile shown in the first picture, that will feed ammo with the profile in the second reliably. I use Winchester JHP that have the round profile shown in the second image.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if that helps any...

8. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Thank you guys for the answers. About the HP in the 45ACP. My ammo has the first profile. It is not the magazine because it does that with 4 magazines that I have.

The ammo with the round nose I was talking about are the glaser blue and Extreme Shock 125gr. Air Freedom Rounds. But I found out they behave more like frangible ammo than HP.

I guess I'll have to try other brands and see which one will feed correctly.

Thank you

9. no clever name

no clever name New Member

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The video you posted shows a powerful spring-piston air rifle shooting a pellet.
    That kind of gun has a big fat heavy piston in it, which is cocked to the rear by pivoting the barrel and using the long barrel as a lever.
    When you pull the trigger that big piston is released under powerful spring pressure and shoved forward in the cylinder.
    When it nears the barrel, the air becomes compressed, both cushioning the piston (so it doesn't break when hitting the steel end of the cylinder) and giving the pellet a strong burst of compressed air to send it flying.

Somewhere on Youtube there's a vide of barrel and action flexing on a centerfire rifle-- I think it's an AK-47 type weapon.

But this spring piston airgun operates in a totally different way.

** But, on the other hand, the point is equally valid. Spring-piston air rifles are generally very accurate, as accurate as a sporter grade .22 rifle, depsite having this barrel and action flexing. As long as it flexes the same way each time, it's not a problem. **

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure