.45 ACP caliber grains

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kestak, Apr 27, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Can someone talk about the different grains in the .45 caliber with their advantage, disadvantage, etc? I have no problem now with the 9mm grain stuff, but I am mixed up with the .45.

Thank you

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

lighter = faster

heavier = slower

I always pick the heaviest grain (230). Just my preference. I believe it offers better penetration (due to momentum).

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

If you are going to shoot the lighter +P stuff you might as well go and buy a .40 IMHO.

When I carried a .45 I always carried 230gr which is the heaviest bullet weight. I agree with MP's post about momentum. They don't call the 230 grain loads flying ashtrays for nothing!

Now, my way of thinking is reversed with a 9mm. I want a lighter bullet, 115gr-127gr, screaming out of the barrel in +P velocity. I stay away from the heavier loadings, 147 gr. due to some pretty well documented cases of failure to stop with that load from a few years back. Some folks are now swearing by the 147gr loads.....but I shy away from them.

4. rajl

rajl New Member

I shoot 230 gr. loads in my .45 only. Reason? 230 grs is the original specification for the round. Same reason why I don't shoot 147 gr 9mm, not original spec.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

147gr 9mm for the win

6. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I shoot 124gr in my 9mils.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Why? Convince me.

Law enforcement a few years ago found that these rounds were ineffective at producing the desired results. I'll look and see if I can find some articles to post to back my opinion.

8. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Doc,

I also remember that MZ (??) posted something abot the FBI 10MM test with the 9MM and 45 that had some very good research when they switched. Can not find right now...

9. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Info????

If you will PM me with you email I will send you some info from the FBI test. They compared a 45 and a 40.
    TJ

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I don't have the time now, but look up recent stats for 147gr. Specifically, the 147gr. Federal HST.

The probles of the past were problems in design.

11. Malum Prohibitum

The problems of the past were related to a failure to design the 147 grain bullet to expand at the significantly slower velocity it travels as compared to the lighter rounds.

As Ramm states, this has been fixed.

The OP is asking about .45, though.

Anybody carry 165 grain?

When I shot at the Griffin Steel Match, the .45 ACP guys were shooting light handloads with 165 grain bullets.

12. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I carry 230 grain +p's in my G21, Hornady TAP's

Best of both worlds I suppose.

I like shooting 147 grains in my Ruger P95, but I carry the Corbon 125 grain load, way more knock down power than most other commercial loads. I have seen the stats on buffalo bore's 147 grain +p loadings, might be worth a try. Heavy AND fast.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

not trying to be an ass.....but no pistol has knock down power. (save those huge ass revolvers that are mini cannons. they don't count)

14. Malum Prohibitum

What are you talking about? :?

I put those 125 grain Corbon loads in a Glock and flipped a bison end over end, twice.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Rifles don't have knock down power, either. You may put something down, even instantaneously, but you don't "knock" him down.

In slow mo video fat people jiggle, though, when hit by a rifle.

16. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

It's called a metaphor

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm not finished with college yet...but that didn't look like a metaphor.

whatever. no biggie.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Fat people really jiggle, no metaphor.

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

All of the studies show that the 230 gr. bullets, in 45 ACP, performs better than the lighter ones. It has to do with the transfer/dwell-time of the missle (bullet).