Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to create an open discussion about you think is the best ammo in .45 ACP.

1. Do I need +P ammo for CCW if not what is the best ammo for the CCW?

2. What is the best ammo for target or range shooting? you know the best bang for your buck

3. Should buy my ammo at a local gun show or online? and if online which website(s)

4. Random - Insert your opinions, tips, recommendations, or advice on this topic

I don't want this discussion limited to the question I listed above. Please feel free to add your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
AtlantaCCW said:
I want to create an open discussion about you think is the best ammo in .45 ACP.

You don't need it. I carry Federal HST +p however. It just depends on personal preference. A 45 caliber is going to do enough damage. I just like carrying +p. Doesn't really make a difference. Either round is good enough, trust me.

2. What is the best ammo for target or range shooting? you know the best bang for your buck
You can get lots of good deals online such as from here: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/45-acp-fmj-ammo. You only need to shoot regular FMJ rounds at the range. No sense in wasting expensive personal defense ammo there. I do however recommend you discharge a few magazines of the personal defense rounds you intend on carrying to make sure there are no misfires, jams, etc.

3. Should buy my ammo at a local gun show or online? and if online which website(s)
The website I linked you to above is great. I've ordered from them before too. I have also gotten good deals on ammo from www.gunbroker.com. There you can find rare ammo (albeit expensive sometimes), but they tend to have a good selection. It's like eBay for gun stuff. Buying online or in store doesn't make a difference to me. Just make sure you know EXACTLY what you want online, and make sure the ammo you are going to buy online is EXACTLY what you want. Manufacturers have several different kinds of ammo that look and sound the same. Contact online sellers if you have questions.

4. Random - Insert your opinions, tips, recommendations, or advice on this topic
I think I've stated it above. FMJ for ranges. Hollowpoints (+p or not) for carry. Online or in person purchases don't make a difference to me.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Ball ammo for everything. I don't think Sheriff Oconee would have it any other way.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If you carry +P ammo get used to the +P recoil, it will be different. Also +P is good in compact pistols as it helps mitigate the loss in fps you get with a shorter barrel. Personally I carry Winchester Ranger 230gr hp ammo not in +P because it recoils the same as ball so I know what to expect. Also it's a 5" gun so I know I will have plenty of muzzle energy. Gold Dot, Winchester PDX, Winchester Ranger, and Federal HST are all good choices for carry ammo no matter the caliber.

Of those the Winchester PDX and the Speer Gold Dots will be the easiest to find.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
CountryGun said:
Ball ammo for everything. I don't think Sheriff Oconee would have it any other way.
The good Sheriff must not be familiar with HST's!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Jmark said:
If you carry +P ammo get used to the +P recoil, it will be different. Also +P is good in compact pistols as it helps mitigate the loss in fps you get with a shorter barrel. Personally I carry Winchester Ranger 230gr hp ammo not in +P because it recoils the same as ball so I know what to expect. Also it's a 5" gun so I know I will have plenty of muzzle energy. Gold Dot, Winchester PDX, Winchester Ranger, and Federal HST are all good choices for carry ammo no matter the caliber.
I should have clarified in my original post.

I do carry +P in both of my handguns. Both (45 ACP and 40 S&W) are loaded with Federal HST +P.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
CountryGun said:
In a 1911, I would agree.

There are other .45 ACP platforms other than the 1911. :hide:

I carry JHP in my Sig P220. Never had any issues.

My next gun purchase will be a 1911 of some sort. On that platform, I will definitely follow Sheriff Oconee's advice and use ball ammo only.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Some suggestions:

Consider what shooting hard-recoiling loads in your pistol will do to your ability to rapidly put rounds into the center -of-mass on a bad guy. My pistol will handle +P ammo fine, but I choose to load it with standard pressure ammo for controllability. But my gun is a compact model, and it's light. From a heavy steel-frame pistol with a longer barrel I would use +P.

Consider the cost and availability of whatever ammo you choose for carry. If your "carry ammo" costs a dollar a shot, are you really going to burn it up every six months and put fresh new ammo in your gun? I stopped carrying Glaser Safety Slugs in my .38 revolver because at $3 per shot, I wasn't rotating thru them regularly and one time I had a misfire when I did a little practice with them after a couple years of carrying them.

Also, whatever ammo you buy for defense, you should run a bunch of it thru your gun before you actually carry it and count on it to save your life. I'd suggest buying 100 rounds of the ammo to test. If the first 92 of them work reliably, save the other 8 for carrying and immediately place an order to buy more of the stuff.

If you buy reasonably-priced ammo that is carried by most gun stores and online retailers, you'll feel better about shooting up what's in your gun at least twice a year, which is what I recommend if you really wear your gun daily and expose it to heat, cold, vibrations, etc.

Hollowpoint for defense. FMJ or Semi-Wadcutter for range ammo. What kind of hollowpoint? Well, it depends what you want. Massive wound channel starting right at the point of entry and going a few inches deep? Or a deeper wound channel that is not as wide, but with the bullet going deep enough to make sure to hit the vitals in even a big muscular felon, even if the bullet hits a rib bone?

I can see the value in penetration, which comes from FMJ, Semi-Wadcutters, or hollowpoints that don't expand all that much. And I can see the value in rapidly-expanding hollowpoints that made a big wound cavity, even if they don't go too deep. I say take your pick and don't sweat it too much.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
The best ammo:
1. Functions 100% with no malfunctions.
2. Leaves no residue.
3. Provides the same experience whether for range or self defense use.
4. Cuts perfect holes in paper.
5. Expands to the size of a basketball at 10" of penetration.
6. Flings the empty casings into the desired collection bin at the range.

But that doesn't exist. ;)

The runner up is defense ammo that feeds and fires 100% of the time that you can find when you need it. It should cost less than the magazine to fill the magazine. With a 45, I am certain that ball ammo would be fine for self defense so availability doesn't keep me awake at night even if I'd rather have something expanding and polymer tipped.

The runner up for range ammo is something that feeds and fires 99% of the time, burns fairly clean, and is cheap. I put more weight on reliable and cheap than I do clean. At some point when I can collect enough of my own brass, I'll start reloading and then I'll put a premium on clean. For now, I shop deals wherever I find them, be it Walmart, shows, or a local dealer.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
AtlantaCCW said:

I don't want this discussion limited to the question I listed above. Please feel free to add your thoughts.
You may not need +P, ( depending on your particular pistol or tolerance for recoil. ) I carry +P in all of my CC .45s because they're commander lenght barrels or shorter, so +P gives me a warm fuzzy. I know that it's harder on my pistols over the long term, ( I don't shoot it often, about once a month or so ) and the recoil doesn't bother me in the least bit.

You do need to try several different brands of HPs in your carry pistol to see which one consistently cycles your pistol, is most accurate and has the lowest flash signature.

I'd recommend getting the same bullet weight for your range ammo as your CC ammo, if possible. HPs will drop a little faster than FMJs, but similar bullet weights for your HPs and FMJs will keep things close enough.

Ammo prices at gun shows tends to be a little on the high side. Buy local or on line.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Whatever ammo that runs reliably in your gun that you can hit your intended target repeatedly with.

Add speed to above and you're golden. :wink:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Range - Federal at Walmart for $16.99 a box.
CCW - Any modern SD round that feeds in your gun. I prefer JHP and it feeds fine in a G36.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My philosophy is that practice is more important than ammunition choice. And not just target practice, but draw, presentation, off-hand shooting, malfunction drills, etc. So, whatever you can afford to shoot - a lot. That's the magic bullet. :wink:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Answer to 1-4, inclusive: the FMJ 230gr that comes out of my Lee Turret press.
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
jmathis84 said:
Anthing 230 grains. No fun in owning a 45 without chunking a hunk of lead downrange :righton:
Fact.

for the range, I'll shoot anything brass cased that's relatively cheap. (Mostly the federal 230 grain FMJ from Wal-Mart)

For self defense, I use Winchester Ranger T series hollow points because they pack a punch and will feed and cycle reliably in my 1911.

Nothing i shoot is +P, because i don't want to put unnecessary stress on my weapon, and because in my opinion a regular .45 ACP is big enough and going fast enough to take down just about any human no matter what drugs they're on (excluding Chuck Norris, then I might try some +P rounds... but it would fail) (I'm pretty sure he ate kevlar and grew his own face armor that just looks like a beard).

Well that post got off topic quick...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG! You folks really open my eyes to the different choices and options available - i really love all the replies and comments -

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@IrishTiger thanks - I got a great deal at the website posted -

IrishTiger said:
AtlantaCCW said:

You don't need it. I carry Federal HST +p however. It just depends on personal preference. A 45 caliber is going to do enough damage. I just like carrying +p. Doesn't really make a difference. Either round is good enough, trust me.

You can get lots of good deals online such as from here: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/45-acp-fmj-ammo. You only need to shoot regular FMJ rounds at the range. No sense in wasting expensive personal defense ammo there. I do however recommend you discharge a few magazines of the personal defense rounds you intend on carrying to make sure there are no misfires, jams, etc.

[quote:15avq4kg]3. Should buy my ammo at a local gun show or online? and if online which website(s)
The website I linked you to above is great. I've ordered from them before too. I have also gotten good deals on ammo from http://www.gunbroker.com. There you can find rare ammo (albeit expensive sometimes), but they tend to have a good selection. It's like eBay for gun stuff. Buying online or in store doesn't make a difference to me. Just make sure you know EXACTLY what you want online, and make sure the ammo you are going to buy online is EXACTLY what you want. Manufacturers have several different kinds of ammo that look and sound the same. Contact online sellers if you have questions.

I think I've stated it above. FMJ for ranges. Hollowpoints (+p or not) for carry. Online or in person purchases don't make a difference to me.[/quote:15avq4kg]

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just to throw it out there...
I have cycled almost all of my WWB out in favor of Gunn Ammo for all
of my 9mm, .40 & .45's.

I met them at one of the shows and started using their ammo for all my
range use. I've been really happy with how clean and accurate it is (well... at
least as accurate as me anyway..). And they're in Blakely, Georgia. :D
You can also order on-line or at Dixie Ammo Dump.

http://shop.gunnammo.com/45-ACP_c8.htm

My two pennies... for all that they're worth

1 - 20 of 22 Posts