.44mag

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by a_springfield, Dec 24, 2017.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I sold my jeep so I am treating myself to a new gun. does anyone know where a 7.5" barrel super Blackhawk is in stock near canton or cumming?

2. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

I went 6 1/2" Taurus 44 magnum. It's a blast. Literally. =D The top ports help with the recoil/muzzle climb a good bit.

Tuarus44-1.jpg

3. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember if Alexander's Store in Blairsville had one when I was up there recently. I'm pretty sure they did, but don't remember if it was a 7.5" or not.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  4. a_springfield

Is it single/double action? I like the Blackhawk for the single only.

5. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I have one (blued) and have shot it a lot. It's an accurate revolver. Hope you find one.
    It was the first gun I bought 25 years ago.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I've never shot a Taurus .44 magnum, but based on my shooting of their .357 magnums with 6" and 8" barrels, and comparing that to S&W revolvers like the M66 and 629, I think the Blackhawk is the more accurate gun given the same barrel length and sighting system.
    Ruger's Super BLackhawk should be the better slow-fire target or hunting gun than pretty much any DA/ SA revolver.
    But, if you were hunting bear, or in bear country where you might need to defend yourself from one, then the DA revolver has the edge.

As for where to find a Super Blackhawk in stock, I think you'll just have to call around.
    Big Woods Goods, Hi-Caliber (Holly Springs), Cherokee Gun & Pawn (Canton), Bargain Barn (Jasper), Country Folks Superstore (Cumming), Bullseye Marksman (Cumming)...

7. a_springfield

That is what I am going to do. I am going to make the rounds looking. I am on the fence wether to get the ruger or a marlin 1894. I am getting both just not sure if I want the lever gun first. My 336 is getting picked on in the safe by all the shotguns (4 total) plus rifle will probably get more trigger time than a revolver. I guess it just depends what I find first and follows me home.

8. a_springfield

Dad has a .357 Blackhawk he bought over 35years ago. I love that one just want a .44mag.

9. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

10. a_springfield

I am definitely getting the marlin 1894. I will get both but probably not at the same time it will be the one I find and get the best price on. I need to buy a trailer and work on the house. The funds are only their for one at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I know where you are on that but you need to move funds between piles and make adjustments. It took me about 35 years to get the rifle I wanted.

I wanted a Colt Lightning or clone in 357 cal to go along with my 357 pistol. When I had the funds I could not find the rifle. When I found the rifle I had no fundage. But about 5 years ago it came together.

That was way way too long to wait. If desire were to happen now, I would be out of luck. I really think I will not be on this plane of existence in 35 years. They may not have rifles on the next one. Maybe a disinto-blaster but thats not quite the same thing.

Nemo

12. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I shot my rifle today (Yeah I went to range on Christmas) and took the SBH out too. I only had 9 rounds left over from the last time and shot a cylinder full at a paper plate at 50 yards. rsbh.jpg 51696226-ACE2-4BA3-9DA7-4A8A6CD5CACA.jpeg FC6D2635-9180-44E6-82F6-FFC33ABD3E70.jpeg 16812AFF-3591-447D-BE7D-A2B0BF8FEF76.jpeg

Schweisshund likes this.
  13. a_springfield

View attachment 9261
    That is exactly the holster and belt I told my wife I am getting when I get the Blackhawk

14. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I like that you didn't ask for permission. Shows masculinity. That square back trigger guard that others whine about hitting their middle finger will be no problem for you. You will laugh it off. A .44 is right up your alley:)

15. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

You might try Tritts Sporting Goods in Dahlonega if he doesn’t have it he will order it and have it in a few days I have been that route there several times, his prices aren’t bad either

16. a_springfield

Does anyone have any hands on personal experience with the new marlin rifles post 2007 Remington takeover? I have heard they have went way down in quality. I want the 1894 but based on what I have been hearing I might go with a Henry big/golden boy. The golden looks pretty but I am not sure how long it will look good, I am planning on actually using said rifle as a tool not a safe queen.

17. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I’ve looked at and held a few and they looked fine to me. That’s the extent of my hands on experience. The blueing isn’t quiet as good on the remlins as the henry. The wood is also a little better on the henry. I have seen pics on the net of some of the very early remlins that did look pretty shoddy. I think they have cleaned up their production since 2007. I like a loading gate over a mag tube. Cabelas in Acworth have Marlins and henrys in stock for you to look at. They may not have a 1894 but they have 336 and 1895’s. I can’t imagine the fit/finish being much different on the 1894.

18. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

I can’t say about the Marlin but I own a Henry in 357 and I am extremely pleased with it accurate and dependable, they have the option of all steel if you don’t want the brass . The steel models are a little cheaper and lighter but same on the inside and same barrels. I don’t think you would go wrong with a Henry

19. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Nice group on the plate at fifty yards , killed that sucker

20. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Thanks. First try with lead bullets didn't go well. Jacketed always shot pretty good. My ruger has big throats. Anything under a .432 leads the barrel. This is a minus zz .432 gage and it goes in all throats easily. I think the s&w's are held to tighter tolerances from what I've seen. That pin gage won't fit in any 629 I've tried. I get lead bullets from Montana bullets. They offer sizes from .430 to .433 in 300 grain lfn. Cheaper than hornady xtp's and a higher velocity. If I casted my own, I'd need a custom mold unless I wanted to shoot watered down 44, and who wants to do that? 20171228_174910.jpg