.44 Mag Newbie

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by slammy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. slammy

slammy New Member

Okay bought a SW 29.... Bought some SW .44 spl...nice to shoot at target. Just bought some .44 spl Remington Mag...are they 1 and the same or did I screw up?

Slammy

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

You screwed up. Don't shoot. You can get away with .44 SPL in a .44 Mag if you don't mind fouling, but it doesn't work the other way around.

3. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

You didn't screw up. SW model 29 is a 44 magnum and will fire either.

4. tsangster

tsangster Member

never heard of such. .44 Special made by Remington maybe?

5. slammy

slammy New Member

Yes your right T...I guess the question is it seems, there are SW rounds and Remington rounds are they all same, Spl or Mag?

6. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

At the risk of asking a stupid question: Are they the same size as the .44Mag or .44Spl rounds and/or do they fit in the chamber(s)?

7. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

44 Special is shorter than the 44 magnum.
    The Smith and Wesson Model 29 is a 44 magnum. It will chamber and fire 44 specials
    Smith and Wesson collaborated with Remington at Elmer Keith's urging to produce .44 magnum ammunition....therefore, it is correct to call 44 magnum ammunition 44 REMINGTON magnum ammunition.....just as it is correct to call 44 Special ammunition 44 SMITH AND WESSON Special

Ya'll got this guy going the wrong way.....the Model 29 will shoot 44 special, 44 Russian, or 44 magnum ammunition.

8. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

All factory Model 29's from Smith and Wesson are chambered in 44 magnum (aka 44 REMINGTON magnum) and will shoot 44 Russian and 44 Special.

9. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

it is just like 38 special and 357 mag

The magnum case is longer and will not fit on purpose. Weaker revolvers like a smith 642 airweight will not withstand .357 magnum pressures and some of the weaker 44's wont hold up to 44 mag pressures. The longer case prevents any accidents because it simply wont fit.

10. slammy

slammy New Member

Thanks all and Sheriff. The truth is the mags kinda well "hurt" when you shoot them and really the Spl are much nicer on the hands. When I saw all the name changes on the ammo boxes I became a bit confused. Picked up nib 29 for a great price and you know ... it's kinda fun to shoot.

So thanks to you all.

Slammy

11. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Smith and Wesson Model 29 is a fine handgun no matter what it is compared to.
    It can be loaded up for almost any critter that walks, or loaded down for target or self defense purposes.
    They make shotshells for snakes and such that will fit in it as well.
    For an all around handgun, a Smith 29 is hard to beat. It will be more fun to shoot those magnums if the stocks fit your hand real well, it is sort of trial and error.
    Join the Smith and Wesson forum and look around at all your stock choices for your revolver. Lots of good 44 mag/Smith 29 info over there
    Enjoy it.....

12. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

The reason I ask is that there's a difference between the .357 magnum and the .357 Remington Maximum. It's like the .38 to .357 difference, but to the next level...