.40 Wolf

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gsusnake, Jun 26, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I bought a box of cheap steel-cased Wolf ammo for my .40 today.

This is the gun that's never misfed a single round, no matter what I put through it. It's only failed to fire twice and that was from faulty ammo that had been submerged in chlorinated water.

In 50 rounds of Wolf, it misfed four times, and one of the rounds failed to fire completely. Now, the Taurus has a reset mechanism that resets the firing pin if the action cycles (fail to fire) so you can have another go at the primer in the event of a misfire. This round COMPLETELY failed to fire at the range.

The misfeeds had nothing to do with the mags or the pistol, as far as I can tell. It seems to be the crappy ammo.

Not to mention I just spent half an hour cleaning Wolf turds out of my barrel and off the slide...

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I'm never going to try and use Wolf for my .40. I've got Wolf for the AK and WWB for the .40. The price difference isn't big enough anyway. It's about what? 20 cents per round for Wolf .40 and 21 cents per round for wwb (for 1250 rounds; 10 boxes wwb, 5 boxes cci brass).

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'll shoot the Wolf in my reformed commie rifles, but I won't shoot it in my handguns.

4. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

For every 100 rounds of Wolf ammo you buy, also figure in the cost of a pack of cleaning patches and a can of break-free.

I think it's the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, it's dirty. But, I think that's a function requirement for an AK. :lol:

6. tace

tace New Member

Wolf is the worst but S&B can be a distant second. I used to use it and regularly have rounds that would either not extract or not fire.

Reloads are better than either these 2 brands.

7. DKing

DKing New Member

Reloads are better then black hills ammo too, if you know what your doing. :twisted:

8. spam_can

spam_can New Member

The only thing Wolf's got going for it is price;

Too many Fail to Feed's in the old FAL I had. Which ran perfect on good mil surp.

Also, my home brew AR doesn't like it. Lots of "stovepipes", and the ejector and entire bolt face get covered in brass after about 1 mag. What a pain to clean out.

Haven't tried it in the SKS, or the AMD-65, another homebrew, cause I've still got some Russian.