4 of the top 25 most dangerous...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by BG_Atl, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

2. mrtopher1980

mrtopher1980 New Member

GF lives sort of between two of those... her neighborhood feels fairly safe though honestly.

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I went and plotted those 4 neighborhoods out on both Google maps and Bing maps.
    Basically, it's bounded by North Avenue at the top (the Varsity), Joseph E. Lowery to the West, 75/85 on the East, and University Avenue at the bottom. Pretty much where everyone would suspect crime to be high, basically.

Sorta like This

4. livesounder

livesounder New Member

Or in other words - Downtown and immediate environs.

And the "powers that be" publicly wonder why people won't go downtown.

Duh.

5. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

The state capitol sits at the midpoint of the line between D and E.

Now are the crime rates based off of census population or the commuter or even event populations? In Atlanta, those numbers are vastly different.

6. pml

pml Active Member

I have to give the nod to Carter street. On the Google map it look like it's only a 100 yard long. Very impressive stats for a street that size

7. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I work almost dead center in the middle of that area.

8. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Number 22

I heard the RR quit working their yard on the east side of that area at night several years ago.
    Too many bullets flying through.

9. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Nice google map skills.

10. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Seriously I learned my lesson about DT ATL. I can promise anyone here if you see me in town, theres a 100% chance I have a 9mm concealed and ready to go hot. My wife has just now go to the point of being at ease when we're in town and I unholster my 9mm and slide it in between my center console and the seat, doors locked, windows up.

Right there off Mcdaniel st. theres a parking garage my friend parks at to get to work. We were picking his car up after a Braves game and as we were pulling out he had his windows down, and this guy bolts out from behind a wall towards his car.. My heart sank man, I was sitting behind him in my jeep wrangler and as I watched the guy run up my hand went instantly to the P95, flipped the safety and held it in my lap. Wanna talk adrenaline... I thought I was about to have a 911 call on my hands...

11. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

They have a cop on every corner in the office buildings around Centennial Olympic Park. They even have one that walks around the first few floors of the building I work in (personally, I think that's more for active shooter scenarios). All those officers disappear around 6PM though, so I don't recommend anyone who works around here work late or unarmed. My GF stole my Smartcarry holster for purposes that have nothing to do with firearms :x , so I have to order another one and I'm unarmed while at work this week :(.

12. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

I'm like right in 17 and 22.... just on the other side of the connector. It's a rough hood down here, and the other side of the highway (Pittsburgh, Mechanicsville and the West End) are no joke. Summerhill and Grant Park used to be that way. I've been rounding up the hoodlums for the past 2 years and can say I've made a considerable difference in crime here. I've worked my ass off to make this area better. It's still dangerous though.

13. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

keep it up bro. Sadly they just migrate to another section and its like herding sheep honestly.

14. mrtopher1980

mrtopher1980 New Member

I may just be naive (yeah probably am) but Ive never really felt threatened in any part of atlanta or any other city for that matter, I grew up in NJ so I was in NYC somewhat often, even during the 80s when the city was bad going as a kid i never was concerned nor did my parents seem to be. I'm not for violence I'd lose probably any fight I got in with someone under the age of 50 and probably many over the age of 50. From experience though even in normal confrontation, say a bar fight, all I have to do is step forward as if i would challenge someone and it ends. Most likely because everyone things I look angry all the time and probably a little crazy. That has happened many many times, my friends get a good laugh later because they know I'd have been handed my butt. But I rarely am ever concerned for my well being when just out and about, maybe i just come across as someone not to mess with so my idea of the risk is skewed??

I carry now more because I can then because I need to but I have actually found that since I started I do at times now notice that maybe I'm not getting a good vibe from an area. Maybe prior to carrying it was a "sheep" mentality of oh well nothing bad can happen to me but I have little to actually show me that something would have gone bad. Can't really argue statistics though such as in this case, assuming they are accurate and not sensationalized. There was a news report that something like 25% of Rutgers students have STDs years ago, this was all over the news everyone was going crazy yet they left out the critical part that it was 25% of students who went to health services because they thought they had an STD ended up having an STD. What is this 1 in 6 chances of being a victim of a crime really based on? When I lived in atlanta nothing happened to me, I move to Buford and my trailer gets stolen from my office and my jeep is broken into for my sirius at home. A car was stolen from my work parking lot (friend of landlord storing it there while she was in jail..) and a stolen van was left and stripped in the lot shortly after. My GF still lives in atlanta and she doesn't even lock her door. Based on my personal crime statistics I stand a better chance in ATL.

15. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

So, I'm trying to come up with uses a woman might put a Smartcarry holster to which don't include firearm, and the scenarios are much more than I should be thinking :cantsay: :cantsay: 8)

16. mdlott

mdlott Member

Isn't that thing kinda like a girdle???

17. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Stay out from the wrong side of Tech (Westside) and you'll be fine.

BTW, took Bankhead east from I-285 to Northside Dr. the other day. Quite the ride. :shock: I would most definitively NOT take that ride at dusk.

BTW, the entire ride was outside the Goggle Map rectangle. I did pas an APD substation and later, four patrol cars on that ride.

18. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

If you click the satellite view of the neighborhood maps, you'll notice the high concentration of "project patterned" low income apartments. Almost all of Atlanta's government HUD projects have been bulldozed, including Techwood Homes, but many privately owned Sec-8 housing complexes remain in the Atlanta neighborhoods that made the list. Their aerial patterns are similar to the since demolished government HUD home layouts.

19. moga

moga New Member

Precisely why I never go in or through the west side of 75/85 unless absolutely necessary. Will show my better half the depiction on the map to reinforce the message.

20. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I did drive through this area just looking around when I first moved here. Ran a lot of red lights just to get away from the predators.