Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, I think yes. But ammo for it is getting better.

I might hunt up a box or 2 of this HydraShok. If I had a 380.

Nemo

·
Romans 10:13
4,651 Posts
A .22 can kill you if it's placed in the right location.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
On paper, in studies based on shooting test into ballistic gelatin (possibly covered with a couple layers of denim) there are some new generation high velocity hollow points that both expand and penetrate well in .380 pistols with very short barrels.

But you know what?
I'm not going to bother researching anymore, and I don't want to have a small amount of special ammunition that cost three dollars per shot when my regular 95 grain full metal jacket range ammo only cost me $ 0.25 a shot.

I'm just going to use the full metal jacket for everything including carry. That way I'm familiar with it m, I know well its point of impact in relation to the sights. And I'll always have a fresh supply in my gun because periodically the stuff that's in the gun will be shot up at the range and replaced after I clean the gun.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
On paper, in studies based on shooting test into ballistic gelatin (possibly covered with a couple layers of denim) there are some new generation high velocity hollow points that both expand and penetrate well in .380 pistols with very short barrels.

But you know what?
I'm not going to bother researching anymore, and I don't want to have a small amount of special ammunition that cost three dollars per shot when my regular 95 grain full metal jacket range ammo only cost me $ 0.25 a shot.

I'm just going to use the full metal jacket for everything including carry. That way I'm familiar with it m, I know well its point of impact in relation to the sights. And I'll always have a fresh supply in my gun because periodically the stuff that's in the gun will be shot up at the range and replaced after I clean the gun.
Good point. Especially when all the ammo ive seen lately comes from hungary or the like.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
FMJ is much more likely to over-penetrate, which is why I only use it for target shooting.

I paid only $1.14 per round for the Norma 85gr HP.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, and if you carried something like a Walther PPK or S in 380, you'd want to be sure that a round would be chambered reliably when you needed to fire it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All I'd recommend is that you get her to fire a box of that ammo to make sure that it feeds reliably.

This isn't just a recommendation for .380 ammo of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're seriously hurting the effectiveness by carrying FMJ. Good .380 JHP increases the potency by expanding, providing more surface and more energy transfer into the target. FMJ will just punch a little 30 caliber hole. That might eventually wind up expiring the perpetrator, but won't be effective at stopping the immediate threat.

Ammo such as Winchester Defender, Train & Defend, or Federal HST, Hydra Shock will provide significant gains over FMJ. It should be price about $1/rd. Change it once a year if you want for peace of mind. I used to, but got bad about it...I have shot daily carry ammo after 3+ years in the gun and never had an issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In general, I think yes. But ammo for it is getting better.

New Ruger LCP Max...10+1 or 12+1 rounds of .380 in the LCP footprint. Hard to argue with that, and super easy to conceal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
All I'd recommend is that you get her to fire a box of that ammo to make sure that it feeds reliably.

This isn't just a recommendation for .380 ammo of course.
That has been done. There is another issue with the pistol. I have been working through (probably not as quickly as I should). It just got back from the manufacturer. I have more testing to do.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,936 Posts
The LCPII that I had would not shoot heavier loads. I used to like 102gr jhp for carry and it refused to run them reliably. I called Ruger, and they said not to run anything over 100gr.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
On paper...
The last time I bought JHP ammo (9 mm) was in 2007 from some guy called Chester's Hunting Supplies. Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P @ $0.23/round. I've got around 1K rounds. I will not buy any more JHP ammo because of the outrageous prices. This is what I carry in my Springfield XDM. If I end up going through that 1K rounds I seriously need to consider my life choices. :LOL:

On the other hand, I've got around 3K rounds of Federal 124gr FMJ for practice. All @ $0.30 to $0.40/round. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it instead of the JHP. Shot placement is everything. And more thugs are getting into the "armor" game. Recall the guy that shot the FL cop and got found at a NFAC house in GA. He had armor with him. Head, pelvic girdle, upper thighs. Why must we limit ourselves to center mass?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts